Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching course

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I've just finished first year and I enjoyed economics, it felt a bit more challenging than most of my arts subjects... so ive decided to major in it. Thing is, now that ive realised i like economics im wondering should i go and switch to the economics and finance degree. Id have to spend next year doing the 40 first year credits i haven't done and then continue on with that degree.
    I suppose pros and cons of switching:
    Pro:
    Economics and finance is probably a better degree; the maths, statistics, finance part would surely leave me prepared for any number of careers. I did get an A2 in higher level leaving cert maths so i should be able to deal with all the maths. and as ill probably end up picking a lot of the more mathematical modules in my third year and masters, surely it would be better to do that with the preparation of the first two years of the business degree rather than the preparation that an arts degree gives you...
    Cons:
    I'd lose a year, and in order to be finished college in the four years i had planned(rather than asking my parents to fund my living costs for an extra year) ill have to give up the erasmus i would do if i stayed in arts. it looks like there is an awful lot of maths in there, i dont know the level of difficulty involved. i could switch and then not like it(altho it does seem interesting, and when i do something, in this case economics, i like to do it properly).

I'm going to call a few of the lecturers and people involved in masters programs in business and economics but id really like to hear if people have done either of the courses or something related and if anyone has any advice for me. it'd be a big step... any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

erasumus that you would have done in arts?

say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

just finished first year. if u got an a2 in higher maths you shouldnt have a problem with the maths. you want to finish college in 4 years? the degree is 3 so with the year in arts you'd be done in the 4 you want. any questions fire away

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

a2 in higher maths! howd you end up in arts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sugarplum_fairy

conchurbar1, i meant that if i stay in arts ill spend four years in college, 3 in arts and an erasmus. in order to switch degree and still finish in the four years ill have to not do an erasmus.

liamygunner29, arts was my first choice :p i wasn't quite sure what i wanted to do at the time, so i picked something nice and broad.

conbob, so you've done this degree then? great. i know it varies from person to person, but how'd you find it? interesting? do you think the stuff you're learning in the course is useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Follow your heart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sugarplum_fairy

Depp wrote: »
    Follow your heart

well in the spirt of wanting to be an economist im making a cost benfit analysis :p

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

me too!! I did economics as well and am keeping it on simply because moore mcdowell is a hero :)...and on a more helpful note one of my mates does ec and fi and is really good at maths but found some hard and failed a couple in semester 1 but knuckled down for semester 2 and done well + its a great degree with a great employment rate (up until this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Asprilla

I think you need to weigh up the advantages of having a much better degree in Economics and Finance Vs the benefits of going on your erasmus. Your Erasmus will cost money and so will doing the modules you need to catch up so dont forget about that. There may not be that much of a difference in cost although you will miss out on the erasmus experience. If this experience is really important to you then I would recomend you stay in Arts.

Are you sure you will be allowed switch course and have you checked with the head of the Economics and Finance course? Im not sure but i thought course transfers required having the correct leaving cert points requirements so you might want to check this out.

As an Arts student, I took Economics for my degree but also studied some Mathsy subjects in Arts in First Year which the Economics and Finance students also did. Reading this makes me regret i did not explore this option at the end of first year. would have loved to have done economics and finance.

Advertisement