Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many LC subects can you use to get UCAS points?

• 04-07-2009 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

In a level they only pick like 3/4 subjects and i think the max each can attain is 120 (total 360). LC has more subjects albeit not as in depth and the max for each with UCAS is 90. How many of your 7/8 LC subjects can you convert to UCAS to apply for a British University? (I assume its not 7/8 or we would all be in Oxford:P)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 StradBally

You are normally asked to meet the minimum entry requirements for the college/university eg passes in maths, english and a foreign language, and then minimum specific requirements for the course you are applying to, eg A level Maths at C (just like in Ireland) and then supply and demand kicks in and the college asks for A levels at BBB or ILC (leaving Cert Hons) at AABBB or Scottish highers at AABB. If you're given a conditional offer of acceptance by the college/university it might be more specific and ask for ILC Biology at A and any other subjects at ABBB.

For most universities/colleges, UCAS points aren't used.

Stainluss -
    Forgot to include this snippet of info in my last post -

You don't actually have to pass the leaving cert in order to get a place in a UK university or college. You only have to satisfy their general and course specific entrance criteria.

They are interested in the individual subjects you study and the grades you achieve in these subjects.

As you seem to be looking to go to Edinburgh - here is the Leaving Cert requirements for entry to Edinburgh University -

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country/europe-russia/ireland/ilc

Failing the leaving cert in the eyes of most folks is failing to pass one or more of the core subjects - English, Irish or Maths (Hons or Ord) - which as far as I am aware will prevent entry onto any Level 7 or 8 course in further or higher educational establishments in Ireland. Perhaps UL is different?

These core subjects at leaving cert may not be required for entry to UK universities or colleges, especially Irish.

Advertisement