Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms bring flash flood risk over the weekend

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow and Sunday there will be widespread showers - many will be thunderstorms. Localised downpours and flash flooding are likely and these will occur anywhere. Tomorrow focus is on midlands and east. And that will be the case on Sunday too however the West is also at risk. Be aware that travel disruption is likely at times and that storm locally could be severe. An August 2008 situation can not be ruled out anywhere. The setup is strangely similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

darkman2 wrote: »
    Tomorrow and Sunday there will be widespread showers - many will be thunderstorms. Localised downpours and flash flooding are likely and these will occur anywhere. Tomorrow focus is on midlands and east. And that will be the case on Sunday too however the West is also at risk. Be aware that travel disruption is likely at times and that storm locally could be severe. An August 2008 situation can not be ruled out anywhere. The setup is strangely similar.

As noted earlier , the Kerry 'weathershield' holding firm :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

more thunderstorms? yay!
    any to the the extent we saw the other night

well done darkman on the other nights warning

webradar.gif
    Actually ignore my 'weathershield' comment , the thing has failed cause tis
    pi55ing here atm .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some very tasty looking showers to the SW of here, hope they make it accross the mountains.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

We had torrential rain for the last twenty mintues here, seems it has passed off now - however already signs of localized flooding.

Ground is pretty saturated with water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just started now in Dublin 2 , our Car Park flooded the last time ..will have to keep an eye on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Heavy rain in Navan for the last half hour...

Thunder rumbling to the west of me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Dee

4 rumbles of thunder west of Dundalk over past 10 minutes. Looks very dark and grey to the W. Radar shows heavy rain shower approx 6 miles W of town. Tracking N so going to miss us (sunny here) :mad:
    Nothing showing up on radar detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I seem to be missing all the exciting weather. I've only seen the odd heavy shower. Most of the showers were 10 minute drizzles. I was away during Wednesday night, so I didn't hear about what happened until someone told me.

All quiet here also. Taller clouds NW and SW of here. Light cloud otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

A couple of distant rumbles in the last few minutes in Monaghan. This better be good cause I missed all the action around Dublin the other night :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

nat00_weather.png

Its not every day you see that kind of weather map.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

nat00_weather.png

Its not every day you see that kind of weather map.

Think they've overdone it a bit there? Isn't it really the north/northwest that'll see this? Certainly wasn't expecting anything down here on the south coast.

We have had some very heavy rain the last thirty mintues, and by the looks of the rainfall radar more is the come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

had a look at that radar it is hard to believe that not a single drop of rain here all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

today's thunderstorm activity can be clearly seen on this satellite pic

lovely swirl too

n1bcurr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

had a serious deluge here about an hour ago, looks like we are in for another

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Where's all the lightning at though? Bucketing down here atm but no light show.

djhaxman wrote: »
    Where's all the lightning at though? Bucketing down here atm but no light show.
    If you look at the mini mushroom clouds in the sat pic above-they probably had some thunder as they are very high clouds-see the length of shadow around them indicating height enough at 4pm to shade the sun well away from them and the very white tops indicating really cold tops due to th e height [40,000 ft or more probably..making for a turbulent flight for anyone up there too!].

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would have to think there has been about an inch or more of rain in Galway and most of the county, also north Clare, and probably some thunder with that. The area now moving into Cork from Kerry looks a bit thundery although not intense yet. You can certainly see the rotation around the stacked low which is just near the mouth of the Shannon and drifting inland. As usual there is an area about 100 km in diameter with no convection and just stable cloud or gaps, and this will drift across central Ireland all night on a course towards about Dundalk. So if all goes quiet for anyone reading this, it could last several hours because this feature is not moving very fast (20-30 mph).

I've noticed both in Ireland and in parts of N America that when you get daytime heating working on the northerly flow on the back side of these drifting stacked lows, you can get some prodigious hail because freezing levels tend to be lower on the western side (plus there is the cooler air in the circulation). But this requires daytime heating usually, so I will be thinking about the possibility of hail for eastern Ireland on Monday around mid-day.

A few years ago there was a storm like this in Edmonton (Alberta) in July, and the hail was so deep they had to call out the winter crews. But it was from a cool stacked low, not a frontal type storm, I think the temperature was only about 11 or 12 C with it. And I recall a situation in Ireland about April of 2008 with this same general process, but nothing quite that heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Nope, not much rain at all today, just some light drizzle at times, strange considering whats on the radar returns all day

Getting a little heavier now all right 6.3mm in the past hour.

webradarq.th.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I would have to think there has been about an inch or more of rain in Galway and most of the county, also north Clare, and probably some thunder with that. The area now moving into Cork from Kerry looks a bit thundery although not intense yet. You can certainly see the rotation around the stacked low which is just near the mouth of the Shannon and drifting inland. As usual there is an area about 100 km in diameter with no convection and just stable cloud or gaps, and this will drift across central Ireland all night on a course towards about Dundalk. So if all goes quiet for anyone reading this, it could last several hours because this feature is not moving very fast (20-30 mph).

I can tell you that today was one of the wettest I have seen in Galway for a very long time, we have had torrential rain for most of the day I was surprised that we had no Thunder as it was unreal dark with this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Some light rain atm now, but looking at the way that blob of rain on the radar has been moving, it looks like it will curl around most of north kerry. Cork looks to be getting a fair soaking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I flew back from Southampton yesterday on a Flybe turboprop. I can attest to the clouds being quite high. Turbulence wasn't too bad but it did make you a little concerned seeing the height of those clouds and knowing that you were ploughing your way through them at times. Interesting really.

Torrential rain and thunder here atm, its so dark outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Thunderstorm to the west of Moate at present. Electricity went out for about 10 minutes,back on now obviously, very dark as well, with moderate rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

is any of those nasty showers on the way to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

http://www.laoisweather.com/lightning/

Dear god look at the lightning radar! Loads of goodies :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

IvySlayer wrote: »
    http://www.laoisweather.com/lightning/

Dear god look at the lightning radar! Loads of goodies :pac:

Must be interference on that, there is certainly not that many strikes (none in Dublin). Check the Dublin 13 detector, normally the most accurate.

Advertisement