Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different economics courses

• 04-07-2009 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi, im just finished first year studying economics as part of the arts omnibus over in ucd. Im beginning to think maybe i should just switch to the economics and finance degree , itd men an extra year because id have to repeat 2/3 of first year. im thinking of doing this because i have found economics very interesting but ill probably end up going down the mathematical route in 3rd year or my masters and im wondering if ill get caught out with the maths at those stages because ive been doing the more theoretical arts course rather than the mathsy business course. i was hoping that people here might have done these or similar courses and, with the benefit of being a bit of experience could advise me how they'll effect my educational and career paths in the future. thanks! cliona

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

I know when i did Economics at UCD the maths wasnt that hard right the way through so once you have say a B in pass maths you should be ok. The maths on the MA in economics is where it gets more difficult, if you did higher maths in the leaving you should be grand.

A lot of the older lecturers youll encounter as an undergrad Moore, Sheehan, O grada steer clear of maths altogether.

As regards your career path, what specific courses you pick within Econ wont really matter to an employer unless you want to do something specifically related to a particular course i.e if you wanna advise third world governments development economics would be useful.

There are very few economics jobs in Ireland though.

Advertisement