Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The past controls how I go about my day to day life, the world is what you make it

• 04-07-2009 4:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

I've gone through some really painful moments and found my whole interpretation of the world changed by those experiences. I've found that the things that brought me joy---friendships, lovers, hobbies, even jobs (or moments working those jobs)---have shattered in the face of harsh "reality". I've felt like a kid suddenly shaken from his daydream and shown that in fact, all the good things that I took for granted are merely facades hiding the cruelties that pervade everyday life.

Yet even when writing this, I know that reality is what you make it. I could take all the hurt that has been inflicted upon me as proof that the world is a cruel and unjust place. I could (and did) program myself to find further signs to continue to prove how dark and unforgiving this life can be.

Like looking through shades in sunlight, everything can look dim, the happiness can be drained away.

Despite this awfully bitter view on things, deep inside I know that what we experience in the past can taint or enhance our future actions and feelings. Someone who is lucky enough to be born into a happy family, who goes through school unhurt, who finds a role in society that satisfies their wants and skills, will be in a far more positive existence than someone who faces the utmost difficult struggles.

Some of this is exterior to them---friends or enemies, achievements or failings. Some can be interior---self confidence versus self doubt, determination versus surrender.

Which brings me to my point: can your own, individual world be better if you train yourself to block out the negativity? Can someone find a whole new world to explore if they learn to basically forget all that affected them badly in the past?

Ignorance is bliss, they say. I think it's profoundly true. I believe that you are at least partly in control of your own destiny. Yes there are circumstances---many---outside of our own control. Most actions are really reactions to people and events surrounding you. But lately I'm beginning to find that if you focus your energy on all that you have accomplished---no matter how small or insignifcant it is---this will help to enlighten and brighten day to day life.

I'm not some religious zealot. In fact I don't have any code to follow. I've had so many dark days and sometimes I've wished that I believed in a God because then it would be so easy to relinquish responsibility and power to a higher father figure. But for me personally I find that it is what's deep inside your core---your subconscious or id or soul or whatever---that paints the colours of the tapestry of life.

If this seems like waffle or just stream of consciousness then kindly ignore all of this but thank you for reading. I would just like to know if people other than myself find that the world can change dramatically purely down to the mood they're in, the memories that rise to the surface, and the heartache that echoes through every day that passes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Seems to me like you're dancing around your own issues by taking "you" and changing it to "we". Spit it out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This experience is pretty common among people. I don't know what to add other than hell is other people but we need em to avoid an agonizing existence so collectively people are like lukewarm water, in the same way that the overall colour of the universe is beige. It is the luck of the draw that you were born as you in this time period and not as a dog, parrot, highly advanced alien or plagued person in 14ad Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I think there is sincerity in your post that suggests to me the experiences in your life, and the way in which you have responded to those experiences; has been a positive thing: in so far as you have opened yourself to be and reflect on the full spectrum of what it is to be human. In my view this is the mark of a philosopher with potential. Many existential philosophers have written about what it is to live, with hurt, confusion, fear and freedom. I suggest you should try out some of these writings, and reflect on what other serious thinkers have had to say on life. Existentialism is not everything, but it is concerned with your anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I've gone through some really painful moments and found my whole interpretation of the world changed by those experiences. I've found that the things that brought me joy---friendships, lovers, hobbies, even jobs (or moments working those jobs)---have shattered in the face of harsh "reality". I've felt like a kid suddenly shaken from his daydream and shown that in fact, all the good things that I took for granted are merely facades hiding the cruelties that pervade everyday life.

Yet even when writing this, I know that reality is what you make it. I could take all the hurt that has been inflicted upon me as proof that the world is a cruel and unjust place. I could (and did) program myself to find further signs to continue to prove how dark and unforgiving this life can be.

Like looking through shades in sunlight, everything can look dim, the happiness can be drained away.

Despite this awfully bitter view on things, deep inside I know that what we experience in the past can taint or enhance our future actions and feelings. Someone who is lucky enough to be born into a happy family, who goes through school unhurt, who finds a role in society that satisfies their wants and skills, will be in a far more positive existence than someone who faces the utmost difficult struggles.

Some of this is exterior to them---friends or enemies, achievements or failings. Some can be interior---self confidence versus self doubt, determination versus surrender.

Which brings me to my point: can your own, individual world be better if you train yourself to block out the negativity? Can someone find a whole new world to explore if they learn to basically forget all that affected them badly in the past?

Ignorance is bliss, they say. I think it's profoundly true. I believe that you are at least partly in control of your own destiny. Yes there are circumstances---many---outside of our own control. Most actions are really reactions to people and events surrounding you. But lately I'm beginning to find that if you focus your energy on all that you have accomplished---no matter how small or insignifcant it is---this will help to enlighten and brighten day to day life.

I'm not some religious zealot. In fact I don't have any code to follow. I've had so many dark days and sometimes I've wished that I believed in a God because then it would be so easy to relinquish responsibility and power to a higher father figure. But for me personally I find that it is what's deep inside your core---your subconscious or id or soul or whatever---that paints the colours of the tapestry of life.

If this seems like waffle or just stream of consciousness then kindly ignore all of this but thank you for reading. I would just like to know if people other than myself find that the world can change dramatically purely down to the mood they're in, the memories that rise to the surface, and the heartache that echoes through every day that passes.
    bad stuff happens, all you can do is take life one day at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gill2095

Does anyone ever go unhurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

gill2095 wrote: »

Does anyone ever go unhurt.

It's not that simple. You can be hurt and can have ways and means out of that situation. Or you can be lonesome, lonely and alone, and find it difficult to surmount your troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Sounds like you should talk to somebody. You don't have to talk about this off the bat, but it could be good to meet people and put your mind on other things for a while. You could join a group, say, take up karate, or painting, or something (anything involving others). Loneliness can be crushing... but you are free, and you can change your life any time you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Trance

I don’t believe that anyone can truly appreciate life and the experiences that come with until they’ve first had the opportunity to sample loneliness, pain, depression and prolonged emotional torment. Humans are capable of suffering such immense anguish but we’re also able to relish in tremendous joy. Would it even be possible to recognise the second extreme without having previous experience of the first? Perhaps so but without that previous dismal existance, could you ever fully appreciate newfound happiness? — Or would you ever really understand the meaning of compassion? — empathy? — gratitude?

Is being alive not as much about emotion as it is about experience? — As apposed to the first being merely a by-product of the later? Has the person who has never suffered real emotional torment lived a richer life than that person who has for an amount of time? Momentarily, maybe...

Can someone find a whole new world to explore if they learn to forget all that affected them badly in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chi chi

When there is still hope struggling, face the terrible things with courage. Learn from the terrible experiences even if they are not your fault. At least they help you understand what life is about.

And for things not under control/no sense to struggle for, you can ignore them so that your mood wouldn't be effected.

Admit it or not, life only has so much to offer, and is cruel for some people from birth. We can only seek our own dreams, truth, justice as good as we can make efforts to.

When player poker, the player most admirable is not the one who wins with good pokers allocated initially, but winners who make the most of what pokers allocated to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

Iv had this thought too..but no one is trapped by circumstance we just THINK this way.

On the whole "programming" thought,you may be interested in reading into Timothy Leary/Robert Anton Wilson's 8 Circuit model:

http://deoxy.org/8circuit.htm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement