Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fires/arson

Options
  • 04-07-2009 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear anything about this? Apparently shamrock plaza/shops across the road and the old dooley motors went up in flames last night!? Haven't got to leave work to see anything yet but it's all blocked off apparently..

Edit:nevermind! Shamrock plaza is ok.. If not just smoke damaged. But across the road is ruined and old dooleys is still on fire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Apparently Dooleys is destroyed. Any word on any damage to St Leo's gym which is close/attached to back of it?
    The old Picasso cafe building is destroyed . Roof gone. Are they owned by different builders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

There has been another fire near workmans.
    Not sure of the status of it yet but all the fire brigade is back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

yeah just seen the fire brigade headin down there a short while ago. Mad, i wonder what's going on as the guards were supposed to have the perp for the others i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

What is with people that start fires? Muppets!!!! :mad:
    No consideration to the safety of people that might be nearby.

My wheelie bin was set on fire the other night, my whole house could have gone up, front door was roasting and luckily one of my neighbours spotted it and put it out.

I was out that night and the bin was in the driveway about three foot from the front door because the following morning was binday.

I'd advise anyone who has wheelie bins not to leave them at the front of their house, seemingly this is happening quite a lot recently!

was down the town and seen the fire at 6 was at the public carpark behind the newish flats across the road from the workmans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Assuming it is malicious, the scum that have done this need to be brought right back to Court Place and be handed down some lengthy sentences.

Photos (not great ones, admittedly) of some of today's damage are attached.

no it was around the council carpark behind the flats. The one that is adjoining the back of the irishmans carpark. Not sure if it was something in the carpark, one of the flats or one of the old houses beside it as the firemen had it all blocked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Any word on any damage to St Leo's gym which is close/attached to back of it?

Leo's gym wouldnt be at the back of Dooley's, the grounds of Leo's doesnt go back that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Passed down by the Dooley motors site today.
    Sad to see it in such a state.

Before Dooleys moved out there'd been a Ford dealership there for donkeys years.

My Dad remembers it as Stathams in the '50s!

I remember it when it was Sheridans in the '70s.
    I recall seeing Mk 1 Fiestas,Cortinas,Granadas, Capris & the like in that showroom, brand new!

All gone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Nead21 wrote: »
    Leo's gym wouldnt be at the back of Dooley's, the grounds of Leo's doesnt go back that far.
    Yea i know,. thought they were closer. I had a look last night. Does anyone know if the gardai have arrested anyone for either of the fires? It was said yesterday morning that they had but it seems to have gone quiet.
    Isn't there CCTV near both sites. Surely that will show something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The building at Shamrock Sq is a protected building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

Passed down by the Dooley motors site today.
    Sad to see it in such a state.

Before Dooleys moved out there'd been a Ford dealership there for donkeys years.

My Dad remembers it as Stathams in the '50s!

I remember it when it was Sheridans in the '70s.
    I recall seeing Mk 1 Fiestas,Cortinas,Granadas, Capris & the like in that showroom, brand new!

All gone now...
    Careful there whosbetter? your age is showin!

to the point of deliberately setting fires, forget about say bin on fire setting a house on fire(sorry about that, but its a chain, you'll see in a moment :) ), but think of our VOLUNTEER firemen who go out there, hail rain or shine, save countless lives, and if you look at the old shamrock storage building(picassos and the like) the roof is caved in, imagine, the lads didnt have to save anyone, but a burning roof beam falls on them and kills them!
    oh the horror!

aynon wrote: »
    Careful there whosbetter? your age is showin!

to the point of deliberately setting fires, forget about say bin on fire setting a house on fire(sorry about that, but its a chain, you'll see in a moment :) ), but think of our VOLUNTEER firemen who go out there, hail rain or shine, save countless lives, and if you look at the old shamrock storage building(picassos and the like) the roof is caved in, imagine, the lads didnt have to save anyone, but a burning roof beam falls on them and kills them!
    oh the horror!

VOLUNTEER firemen ??? Don't you mean Part time and paid for it firemen??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

yes part time, but only officers are paid.

normal recruits arent. either way they have a very dangerous job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I thought they're a retained fire service which means the crews get an annual retainer fee paid quarterly plus a fee for each call-out.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I thought they're a retained fire service which means the crews get an annual retainer fee paid quarterly plus a fee for each call-out.

I second that, I know a few bhoys who told me in the past that they were in it for the money cause it pays great on the call outs..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

slimjimmc wrote: »

+1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Since a complaint has came in about this thread, I am removing some posts based on the complaint and my own concerns. A Legal Admin will review the thread and let me know how to proceed, and when this is known I will let you all know.

Feel free to discuss the fires or arson suggestions but do not launch into a conspiracy theory about why you *think* X has been burned in a way that questions any company/building owner as this is legally dodgy grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sully wrote: »
    Since a complaint has came in about this thread, I am removing some posts based on the complaint and my own concerns. A Legal Admin will review the thread and let me know how to proceed, and when this is known I will let you all know.

Feel free to discuss the fires or arson suggestions but do not launch into a conspiracy theory about why you *think* X has been burned in a way that questions any company/building owner as this is legally dodgy grounds.
    on a lighter note is it true that Umbertos are doing a spercial on smoked cod this week? just remembered their shop backs onto the carpark. i wonder did they suffer from any/much smoke damage?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    on a lighter note is it true that Umbertos are doing a spercial on smoked cod this week? just remembered their shop backs onto the carpark. i wonder did they suffer from any/much smoke damage?

Na!! It was a building across the other side of the carpark.. on the right as you drive in past the "new" flats..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

more pics of dooleys, taken with my mobile so a bit dodgy :p

Advertisement