Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opening a UK bank acount - is it legal / tax question

• 04-07-2009 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭

So, I'm wanting to open a UK bank account - , and am wondering if to do so is legal, and Ok with the tax laws.
    If I earn interest on it, do I declare it here and pay the tax on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Of course you can open a UK account.

If you earn interest UK interest is taxed in Ireland net.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Of course you can open a UK account.

If you earn interest UK interest is taxed in Ireland net.
    It's the gross interest that is taxed in on Irish tax residents, and you get credit for any UK tax withheld. For individuals who are tax resident in Ireland, but domiciled in another country (typically someone who came to Ireland from another country and expects to return to that country at some future date), the UK source interest is only taxed in Ireland if remitted to Ireland

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

At the end of the year you fill in a form 12 telling revenue about whatever interest you get. That is the same form people use for any income above and beyond their paye income provided they are not self assessed (self employed, director ect). If self assessed, pop it onto your 11e.

Advertisement