Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Deal with Cocoa Butter?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm going to be trying out a recipe that involves coating in chocolate and the recipe calls for cocoa butter or vegetable fat.

I've heard that vegetable fat can leave a residue in the mouth and that the best thing to use is definitely cocoa butter.

This brings the question... is there only 1 kind of cocoa butter?

When I did a search looking to buy some, a lot of the sites were selling cakes or jars of cocoa butter but all said they were fantastic for the skin, etc and didn't mention anything about it being used in baking/cooking.

So, are there 2 kinds of cocoa butter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

cnocbui wrote: »

So basically it's one and the same thing and if I buy some online that's being sold as something for the skin it's fine to use for chocolates?

I'm just making sure before I go and get a cake of the stuff and find it's not the right thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If the recipe calls for extra cocoa butter for coating, it just allows the chocolate to be thinner and spread easily. Couverture is a type of chocolate with a higher than average cocoa butter % for these type of applications.

Thorntons in St. Stephens Green centre or Jervis centre used to sell microwaveable bags of milk chocolate couverture, dunno if they do anymore. You can also make a shiny glazed chocolate coating without couverture, which will spread nicely as well; there's a recipe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

If the recipe calls for extra cocoa butter for coating, it just allows the chocolate to be thinner and spread easily. Couverture is a type of chocolate with a higher than average cocoa butter % for these type of applications.

Thorntons in St. Stephens Green centre or Jervis centre used to sell microwaveable bags of milk chocolate couverture, dunno if they do anymore. You can also make a shiny glazed chocolate coating without couverture, which will spread nicely as well; there's a recipe here.

Thanks! That's really great help, I appreciate it :)

I'll go over to Thorntons and see if they still sell the milk choc couverture or will try out that glaze recipe :)

Advertisement