Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell from radiator?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

When ever I arrive in form work or get up in the morning there is a strong smell in the kitchen coming from what we think is the radiator. The heating hasn't been on since the start of the nice weather which is about 3 weeks now at least I'd say.

Is there any advice you can give me? The boiler is outside in the garden and it is an oil system. The smell is like a weak keresene smell but I could be wrong. I turned on the heating for about 20 mins to see if that helped but the smell was back the next mroning.

If anybody has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated. Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Is the tank close to the house?
    Was the boiler ever in the kitchen? I am wondering if there is a capped old feed pipe somewhere in your kitchen seeping.

I would check the tank for leakage, kerosene is very strong smelling and even a tiny amount is easily detectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

joeclif wrote: »
    Is the tank close to the house?
    Was the boiler ever in the kitchen? I am wondering if there is a capped old feed pipe somewhere in your kitchen seeping.

I would check the tank for leakage, kerosene is very strong smelling and even a tiny amount is easily detectable.

Thanks for replying Joe. The tank is about 20 feet from the house but the boiler is right at the back door. It was never in the kitchen as all the other houses in the road have their boilers in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Again i suspect kerosene leakage at the burner.

There is a filter in line with your oil feed into the burner and usually a glass bottle in which yoiu will see the burgundy coloured kerosene.

Check this with tissue paper to see if it is leaking, also check the fire valve ( brass with wheel on top.)

If you haven't had the boiler serviced in a while be no harm to do so now and have it checked out properly

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Thanks so much for your help. I will get a plumber in asap.

Advertisement