Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Sligo - what to see/do?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

What is there to do in Sligo town? been on the sligo town website but it's like every other town site. i'd rather hear what you can actually see and do from locals or people who know it well. thinking of visiting from dublin for a few days. is it worthwhile?? thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

depends on your interests fifo and transport. Surfing, diving, powerboat training, sailing, windsurfing, kitesurfing,deep sea angling,( if you catch a shark please release) vist Innismurray, fresh water fishing, rowing, canoeing, horseriding, mountain climbing, hillwalking,forest walks,yeats grave, yeats building, yeats summer school, sligo live upcoming, flying lessons, golf, pitch n putt, carrowmore megalithic tombs, clay pigeon shooting, Have a pint.
    I,m sure theres more but that after all those activities in one day I,m usualy too tired to do anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

fmcc wrote: »
    depends on your interests fifo and transport. Surfing, diving, powerboat training, sailing, windsurfing, kitesurfing,deep sea angling,( if you catch a shark please release) vist Innismurray, fresh water fishing, rowing, canoeing, horseriding, mountain climbing, hillwalking,forest walks,yeats grave, yeats building, yeats summer school, sligo live upcoming, flying lessons, golf, pitch n putt, carrowmore megalithic tombs, clay pigeon shooting, Have a pint.
    I,m sure theres more but that after all those activities in one day I,m usualy too tired to do anything else.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

You could visit Sligo Abbey. There's also the museum but it's very small.
    The RC Cathedral is worth a look, too. I think the Church of Ireland Cathedral is also open to the public some afternoons, too. Some of W.B. Yeats' ancestors are buried in the graveyard. I once stumbled across a couple having sex on a tombstone around the back but you mightn't be as 'lucky' as me! :D

If you're feeling very adventurous, you could try and find a public toilet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Eagles Flying in Ballymote is a great place. There is also Ballymote Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jellypops

hi fifomania..
    fmcc gave you a good run through of everything there :D

Climb Knocknarea.. 20mins up.. fantastic views of Sligo .. well worth the climb.

You could visit Glencar waterfall. Take the Enniskillen road and you'll see signs for the waterfall. As a guess, it's about 10-15min drive from Sligo.

You coudl drive around lough gill.. stopping off at Hazelwood for a stroll, then parke's castle.. a bite to eat in Dromahair.. continue around and stop again if you fancy in Slish wood and Dooney Rock. Dooney Rock and Hazel wood are right on the lake with some pretty views.

There's a Summer festival on until 12th July you didn't day when you are visiting so this may be over. I would recommend going to see Tucan, (a band, they placy tonight in tobergal lane cafe) they're kind of similar to rodrigo y gabriella.. very lively. http://www.cairdefestival.com/

You could go surfing in Strandhill.. hire of boards and wetsuits included in price of 2 hour lesson.. I think classes are 30/40 eur for 2 hours which is good value.

You could go and see eagle's flying in Ballymote as suggested.

Have a drink in the strand after! also you could visit the seaweed baths in Strandhill or Enniscrone. very relaxing

On a good day you could pack a picnic and go to Mullaghmore and get a boat to Inishmurray.. or you could just stay in Mullahgmore.. it has a lovely beach.

http://www.goireland.com/sligo/inishmurray-island-attraction-boat-hire-id17373.htm

Also there's various horse riding centres in Carrowmore (near knocknarea) and past Grange (towards Bundoran), in Markree castle in Collooney.

there's a gorgeuos walk along the promenade in rosses point and down onto the beach. You can have a bite to eat and a drink when you finish is some the local restaurants and pubs when you've worked up an appetite!

Galleries - on castle street in Sligo - in the Model, cat and the moon and there's also a number of antique shops here if you're into that.

Tehre's a few random suggestions.. hope you find some of them helpful..
    Enjoy your visit to Sligo.

A car is highly recommended though and/ or you could bring or hire bike for when the sun returns to us.. and don't forget your togs for a dip in teh sea!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

I'm sure there was a thread similar to this a few weeks back. Loads of info on it. But alas i am a little to lazy to go searching.

But jellypops has giving loads of ideas there anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Hels88

There's plenty to do in Sligo, well worth a visit. As suggested above why not drive out to the Lough Gill and Parke's Castle area. There's daily cruises on the lake which are lovely, especially in fine weather. The website is http://www.roseofinnisfree.com/

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Advertisement