Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance salesman lied to me any recourse?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

My family are with a very popular health insurer, not sure i can name it but its its the biggie.

I'm off for a year to south america and wanted cover so i rang up to enquire about prices etc and details of what the policy covers.

was chatting to a nice man and he said he would send this out along with details of prices/payment option.

Great I thought one less worry!!

What arives is a membership card!

I ring up rather upset, he says not to worry and that is only sent out after the policy details are sent but you must have not recieved. no money has been taken out of anything.

Great I thought!

Then a letter arrives for my mother saying her CC has been debited!!

He had lied blatently to me!

obviously they will have to refund my mothers CC but how were they able to take the money in the first place without her authorisation?

Do i have any other recourse or is there any body i can complain to about such a devious practice?

Or am i naive to expect not to be lied to by an insurance company:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

OP - definitely complain. Financial Regulator perhaps?? (for what it's worth)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Sure how could they have issued a policy without payment? Was it because your mother had already paid by credit card for the health insurance and they had the credit card details stored? I presume that you were discussing the merits of global cover.Did you not give some indication.The telephone call would have been recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Yeh her details were stored but obviously i'm not her so even if i said oh yeh charge that surely i shouldn't be able to.

I told him explictly twice that i did not want to be commited to anything in the origional call. And I told him I would be paying with my personal credit card or by another method IF i was taking out the cover.

the second time i rang and he said no money had been taken from anything but it had!!

Do you know if they have access to the recorded calls? I hope they do because I'd love a copy to take to some one and have him fired!!

I'm just disapointed in humanity that some one would lie like that!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Make a complaint to the company in writing, and ask that they refund the money and cancel the global policy. You may have to get your mother to write the letter. They'll be able to listen to the call and take appropriate action.

Advertisement