Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 22-250??

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

OK lads,

I'm looking for a new 22-250 and I'm basicly looking at the
    • Savage bvss
    • CZ 550 Kevlar varmint
    • Remington SPS
    in your opinion which and why??

Thanks FS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

The cz 550 kevlar Fs..simply because ive seen one shoot groups of less than half inch at 200 yards..czs are really accurate for the money.;)

thats my tuppence used up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Well personally i wouldnt touch the SPS,poor value for money,not sure it's still available in 22-250?
    Considered Howa?good value and getting popular with custom shops

Which BVSS are you thinking of,a couple of variants available i think??

No experience with CZ but good reviews from those who do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Any Savage I've shot has been astonishingly accurate. It's probably going to be the most accurate of the bunch by a good margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

FS why a 22-250????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

clivej wrote: »
    FS why a 22-250????

it's a combination of itchy feet and with the price of ammo I seem to be using lately (fed Vshock 45gr @ €30/20) I'd like a little more thump for my bucks.

I know you can only kill a fox So dead and not any deader(is that a word?) but I've not had a 22-250 of me own and fancy trying out one for a while.

As most of ye will know I do like CZ'S and was liking the 550. but from reading reviews the savage seems to offer a little more, but they are hard to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

.22-250 is a cracking round. Trajectory like a lazerbeam. You won't regret it. The quotes you're getting on Savages are mental though. Crazy money. I'd shop around hard if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i had an old parker hale 22-250 i bought for a 100 quid the time that the calibre restrictions were lifted on rifles up to .270, no one wanted .22-250's and the dealers couldn't get rid of them .
    its a fantastic round , extremely accurate , a lot of benchrest shoots were won with it and its great for charlie too .

Been quoted around €1300 for the CZ Kevlar and the laminated version.

This is also in the range of the Takia super varmint and the Remington VSF.
    The tikka stock is possibly a little to plastic and the rem has a HS precision stock !!

So options - options???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

fs out of curiosity ,
    do u have to hand in a deer license to the garda before they ll issue u a license for the 22 250 u plan on getting ?

No . it's for varminting and I'm a member of a target shooting club.

.223 to .22-250 should be a direct change over.

Anyone want a good cz .223?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Try the CZ stock before ordering, it is not everyones taste.
    I just sold my 22-250 howa stainless sporter, and replaced it with a remmy 243 stainless sps sporter.
    Comparing the two I think,
    plus points for remmy:
    -bolt can be opened in safe position
    -very accurate out of the box
    -rugged design
    - they say x-mark trigger can be tuned

minus points.
    -difficult to load through the top,
    -does not feed very well
    -two position safety
    -trigger is horrible out of the box
    - stocks are for the bin

Howa plus points.
    -trigger can be safely tuned down to 500grams
    -extremely accurate with right ammo.
    - feeds a dream
    - loads 5, Remmy only 4
    - flat bottomed action, bit like older sako
    - three position safety, unload in middle position.

minus points
    - injection moulded stocks are for the bin.
    - trigger will need tuning

22-250 is a great caliber, gives 100yd more than 223.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Fair play to ya FS for moving away from the Mytical .223 :D

I personally suggest you go for the remmy if you plan to do any aftermarket work. the range of triggers, stock options etc is vast by comparison to anything else available (apart from Ruger 10/22's off course;))

Hezz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i know of a S/H sako 75 s/s and a sako A11 in 22.250

Thanks ejg,

The stock is pretty much the same stock as is on my cz 527, it's a HS Precision with alloy bedding block and is a beaut.:)

The CZ also has a fully adjustable trigger and also has a set trigger where you push the trigger forward till it clicks into place and then you have a lite trigger with no travel and it breaks like glass.

I think the CZ also has a three position safety from what I can remember on my CZ deluxe 6.5.

I guess I'm talking myself into a decision here:rolleyes:.

Hezz, I have no problem with the .223 but just fancy a change after a few years of that caliber in several guns and I like the idea of the 22-250. My thinking on the remmy is that all these aftermarket parts and triggers are there for a reason and it shows a lot of rem owner feel they need to change the stock and the trigger etc. etc and this to me says a lot about the gun so I'm afraid I'm a bit wary about the remmy to be honest.

Fs

P.S. I'm aware this is making me sound like a CZ freak:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

P.S. I'm aware this is making me sound like a CZ freak:o:D

Not at all.:)

CZ are top notch hunting/varmint tools. They have come on in leaps and bounds in since i bought my first one 15 years or so ago.

I will always own at least one model, but i don't really like the their kevlar stocks much. the palm swells are far to lumpy for my petite hands:D

I'd say you have your mind made up though..?

:D:D The only petite part of me Hezz is between my ears.

FS like CZ make noise make bunny fall down! FS like make bunny fall down!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

My thinking on the remmy is that all these aftermarket parts and triggers are there for a reason and it shows a lot of rem owner feel they need to change the stock and the trigger etc. etc and this to me says a lot about the gun so I'm afraid I'm a bit wary about the remmy to be honest.

Fs
    Yes you'd be right IMO,if the Rem's were priced as they should be then maby worth a try,and new X trig is nothing compared to old,US produce great steel though and a good one wont be beaten for accuracy

So it's looking like it might be one of these;

G04163.png

:D:D

have to see iff I can get it cheaper than € 1300;)

Advertisement