Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bait cars used to catch car thieves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I saw that a few times on the likes of Roadwars, seems to work pretty well too. Although it would be illegal to do it over here wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

its illegal for the garai to use bait cars, It would be deemed entrapment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

pa990 wrote: »

Ah ya, entrapment. Couldn't think of the word, driving me mad for the last hour or so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Who said anything about the Gardai? Would be great Saturday night entertainment... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I dont know if it is legal or not here, but technically it would not be entrapment IMO:
    "Entrapment is the act of a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense which would be illegal and the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit"
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The entrapment defense in the United States has evolved mainly through case law. Two competing tests exist for determining whether entrapment has taken place, known as the "subjective" and "objective" tests. The "subjective" test looks at the defendant's state of mind; entrapment can be claimed if the defendant had no "predisposition" to commit the crime. The "objective" test looks instead at the government's conduct; entrapment occurs when the actions of government officers would have caused a normally law-abiding person to commit a crime

A car wired with trackers (hidden) is not anymore "suggestive" to a criminal than your car. An example of entrapment would be suggesting to a stranger the "removal" of say a PS3 from an "empty" house and facilitating them in the act for the purposes of later convicting said person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You're right there, Matt Simis. But I've seen programs about what they do in the UK and it involved parking a lorry with the loading area half open and some nice goodies on display. That is entrapment and it is rightfully illegal here imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

So what if I have a GPS tracker in my high end car? Is that entrapment?

If you steal something that isn't yours, you have committed an offence. I'd rather bait the so and so than let him break into my house at knife point to take my keys.

Its like beating a robber in your house, the poor fella, thats assault. Personally, he wouldn't be alive to claim assault.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

unkel wrote: »
    You're right there, Matt Simis. But I've seen programs about what they do in the UK and it involved parking a lorry with the loading area half open and some nice goodies on display. That is entrapment and it is rightfully illegal here imho.

hows that entrapment????
    no entrapment there...
    it would be entrapment, if the garda doing this where encouraging prople to take items...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

And that is the problem !
    PC bull****, if you leave car keys in the ignition and some scumbag tries to rob it . . . . . . He/she IS a scumbag and should be NICKED !!!

Where are our leaders. . . . worried about votes, not the right thing !
    And PLEASE pc heads, try to tell me I'm wrong :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

robtri wrote: »
    hows that entrapment????
    no entrapment there...
    it would be entrapment, if the garda doing this where encouraging prople to take items...

They are encouraging people to take items (by leaving them in full view in the lorry - which was not closed or locked). People who would normally not commit a crime might just be tempted to take the items. The occasion makes the thief and all that. Have you seen the footage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement