Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW rumourmill in overdrive over new expansion

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Do not know if anyone has been reading on this, but there is a pretty huge histeria in the wow community at the moment with rumours circulating of the new expansion.

It was spotted by an American who logged onto see a test realm named "Maelstrom 3"

Now you wouldn't think much of it except the server disappeared a few seconds later.

It is no secret that the third expansion to WoW is already being logistically worked on, but with the brunt of the development team for WoW working on making the Arthas encounter severely epic, there are seemingly workings going on with the new expansion along with a totally new mmorpg from Blizz.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=70411.0

That post there goes into more detail. I was reading the rumours on a irc channel and should it be true, it sounds very promising. I'm into my WoW lore a bit and the Sundering is a pretty big event and includes some pretty bad ass characters. However I'm unsure of what continent they can use, as the event originally happend back when all the continents where adjoined into one, and after the Sundering, thats how we got northrend etc, so maybe they are creating something new or dipping further into lore.

Its a vicious rumour, but the trademark thing does give some weight to something happening, but it will be itneresting to see what crawls out over the coming months.

Let the ideas and wishes begin I say

We can assume the level bracket will go to 90, few more talents, new BG's instanes and the usual lark, but what would you love to see, and more importantly what hero class would you think is coming next?

I cant find the link but remember watching a video interview from last years blizzcon when DK was announced where they said a further hero class will come with each expansion, and possibly two new races.

I as an old school Warcraft 3 head, have always wanted a Demon Hunter or a Blademaster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭AaronFitz

It's well known fact that something comming out in the near future will be called "Cataclysm" as Blizzard has recently ®'d it and even claimed a domain under the name of www.wowcataclysm.com. Now if your up-to-date on your lore you would know the name of the event that created the swirling ball (looks like a giant Whirl Pool) in the middel of the sea seperating the 2 original continents of WoW, The Swirling ball it's self is known as "The Malstrom" and the event that caused it was the destruction of the well of eternity, that event was called (you guessed it) the "Cataclysm". This is pretty much the lore behind it.

The Great Sundering, also known as simply the Sundering or the Cataclysm was a world event which reshaped Azeroth approximately 10,000 years ago at the end of the War of the Ancients. This event was triggered due to the Well of Eternity being destroyed.

Prior to the Sundering, there was only one continent on Azeroth, referred to as Kalimdor. In the catastrophic explosion, eighty percent of the land mass was destroyed leaving behind the major continents and scattered islands that are known today: Northrend, Kezan, the Eastern Kingdoms, and the remnant still referred to as Kalimdor.

The site of the Well of Eternity became a swirling vortex of power known as the Maelstrom.

The below was posted on www.mmo-champion.com about what was trade marked.

A few days ago Blizzard filed a trademark for "Cataclysm" on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website. Cataclysm was registered for :

* Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; and providing on-line information in the field of computer gaming entertainment
    * Comic books, computer game strategy guides, trading cards, coloring books, adhesive stickers, rub-on transfers, notebooks, stationery-type portfolios, posters, greeting cards, calendars, instructional leaflets in the field of computer games, computer game instruction manuals, catalogs in the field of computer games, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, photographs, art prints
    * Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

If you ask me this is all to much of a co-incidence to be anything but WoW related, and also if ya ask me the new area will be placed smack bang in the middle of that swirling vortex. Now here's the interesting part, the malstrom will be a very much so water based area as thats what to be expected, there will be lot's of Naga and such and the recent change to mounts working in water and even the introduction of a very fast water mount being introduced to game (the land turtle) or what ever it called. This is all build up to that IMHO as what impact has making land mounts work in water had thus far in the game bar being a conviance.... How they will adapt combat and mechanics to work better in under water occasions will be a challange. Leaving them as they are will doubtfully be an option as any-one would agree underwater fights although can be fun are very gimmicky and movement takes ages. I have a feeling we will see quite alot of area's based on Coilfang (more so lady Vash's instance itself lots of vines and water and such.)

This is all speculation ofc, but in my 1st paragraph I think there's solid evidence as to what the cataclysm is and why Blizz have it trade marked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Oh great more grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

from what i can remember from lore, when the sundering append the maelstrom was created which was like a swirling vortex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Dcully wrote: »
    Oh great more grinding.

Even the first time?

When WotLK came out I wasn't playing WoW but I was hooked again levelling my mage up to 80, new content rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Get your Naga joke character name registered now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Schism wrote: »
    Even the first time?

When WotLK came out I wasn't playing WoW but I was hooked again levelling my mage up to 80, new content rocks!

70 to 80 was just more of the same with a tiny few quests that were somewhat diferent.
    lol since then ive dinged 3 80s :P

Id prefer more raids and endgame content ,leave the cap at 80 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Dcully wrote: »
    70 to 80 was just more of the same with a tiny few quests that were somewhat diferent.
    lol since then ive dinged 3 80s :P

Id prefer more raids and endgame content ,leave the cap at 80 :)

Aye, each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

H8 lvling my self. But the quests from lvl 70 to 80 have been more fun.
    Agree leave the lvl at 80. Or at least let us skip 30lvls or so when starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

It's probably fair to guess the new hero class will let you skip 55/65 levels rather than 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭AaronFitz

Get your Naga joke character name registered now.

I can see it all unfolding already, guilds will spring up by the name of "What's up ma Naga" etc :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement