Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solwise Homeplug warning - one pin broke off in the socket

Options
  • 04-07-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I heard about these Solwise Homeplugs here and thought that they would be a good solution. They did work quite well for a while, but just the other night, one of the pins broke off in the socket, as shown in the attachment.

I'm fairly angry with them, as anything that's plugged into an electrical system should be better manufactured than this. Needless to say, I won't ever be using them again.

I don't like badmouthing companies, but it's important that people know about this potential weakness. It was the earth plug, so there was NO ELECTRICAL DANGER, but it's still quite worrying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

edanto wrote: »
    I don't like badmouthing companies, but it's important that people know about this potential weakness. It was the earth plug, so there was NO ELECTRICAL DANGER, but it's still quite worrying.
    there is a danger because while that pin is stuck in the earth pin hole a child could easily stick some metallic object into the live pin hole which will be open due to the earth pin being in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and what exactly stops you taking the socket off the wall and poking the offending pice of plastic out of the earth pin socket ????

btw THe SOLWISE UNIT IS STILL WORKING ,is it not ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH you can't blame Solwise for your rough treatment of their equipment.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We don't know if he treated it roughly.

Over the years I've had a number of plug-top PSUs (what the USA call Wall Warts :) ) have the poorly made middle insulated / plastic earth pin break. Often a bubble in the polystyrene like plastic has made it weak, but not always.

I have had plenty with an all metal but isolated Earth pin. None of those have ever broken. I wonder does a flimsy plastic peg meet the BS1362 or what ever standard it is.

It's easy enough getting the peg out of a 4way socket strip, but more fraught on a wall socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

watty wrote: »
    I wonder does a flimsy plastic peg meet the BS1362 or what ever standard it is.

That's my concern too. When I first heard what had happened, I had quite a shock because I was told 'and I tried to pull the pin out' At the time I didn't know it was the earth pin, or more importantly that it was a plastic pin!

It wasn't treated roughly, it was being taken out by a responsible ten year old. Perhaps at a slight angle, I don't know I wasn't there - but there's no way that a pin should break off in a childs hands.

It was a simple affair to unplug the plugboard and then use a pliers to take out the pin - I'm not at all worried about losing the use of a socket temporarily.

I'm concerned that if one plastic pin would break off this device, then maybe one of the other pins would break. I don't know if one of the other pins broken off and protruding would be live. That's what I'm worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The live & neutral pins only break off on the Cheap USA pair of blades plug. On 110/220V gear cut them off and fit a real plug, never use an plugtop adaptor.

With 230V to 110V transformer adaptors, only the building site ones are safe. The domestic ones are "auto-transformers" and potentially one pin can be at 115V and the other pin at 230V.

The blades break off really easy on the USA "Wall Warts".

I have never seen or heard of a live or neutral pin breaking. Looking at socket, neutral should be left and live right. In Ireland the the neutral is bonded to Earth comiming into the house. In the UK it used to be at the substation only. Of course a 4-way socket strip could be wired wrong...

Can I ask you all another piece of advice, please?

Solwise have agreed to refund me, but they refuse to cover the cost of postage, so I'm likely to be left out of pocket for the whole thing. I think that's unfair, but I don't know where I stand legally.

Does anyone know, please?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

edanto wrote: »
    Can I ask you all another piece of advice, please?

Solwise have agreed to refund me, but they refuse to cover the cost of postage, so I'm likely to be left out of pocket for the whole thing. I think that's unfair, but I don't know where I stand legally.

Does anyone know, please?

If you ordered on-line then I don't see how they are liable for postage for any returns,

Maybe I was just a bit naive then, to think that they would cover the cost of posting their faulty unit back to them.

Feck it, I'll have to pay it, but I'm not that happy about it and I'll be slow to take a chance on an unknown product online again. Damn.

Why couldn't they have just sold me something that was better made?!!

Advertisement