Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opportunities to reduce the cost of Social Welfare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Of course... In fact, there may be a few other things as well. I don't know the ins and outs of social welfare, but I'm sure if you take a single mother on the dole and single mother on the minimum wage, there may not be much in the difference.

I don't know why food stamps, etc, aren't given out? Make sure the money is spent on the proper things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    204euros does not take into account possible rent relief. Add on rent relief and then compare to the weekly rate of minimum wage.

Yet people still choose to work for the minimum wage, which was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Yes but they are people with a working ethos, give someone without that ethos a choice between a job where they earn marginally more than welfare and see what they pick.

I'm not saying that there are jobs out there to be had, but I have heard cases where they have been turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

They are very much in the minority. I fully accept that cuts in welfare need to be made, purely on the grounds that the state can no longer afford to sustain the current levels. But not as a means to incentivise people to get back to work because no such incentive is needed for the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

The best way to reduce Social Welfare is to create jobs. I think welfare for banks is the fish to fry right now...not social welfare...the latter isn't responsible for the mess right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

sovtek wrote: »
    The best way to reduce Social Welfare is to create jobs. I think welfare for banks is the fish to fry right now...not social welfare...the latter isn't responsible for the mess right now.

nor were they ( long terms unemployed ) responsible for the boom yet enjoyed the fruits of it , why should they now be exempt from the bust , besides as has been stated numerous times on several threads , we are in a deflationary period

Advertisement