Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What health effects have you noticed from smoking?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

I thought this might be a useful reminder for quitting smoking. Post about your health experiences from smoking.

I used to go out drinking and just start chain smoking. Did this about once a week for about two years (age 18-21) and at the peak basically smoked about 50 unfiltered rollies in the space of about 6/7 hours.

Woke up once or twice with fingernails that were totally yellow. And also coughing up black stuff from my lungs.

Woke up one day a few months ago with an awful cough. Went to the bathroom and there was some blood in my spit, and my lungs were making a funny noise like when you're belly is rumbling. This happened for 3 days. Went to hospital and they gave me antibiotics and it went away. I stopped for 2 weeks but it crept back in. I started to notice though more and more that I couldn't breathe as deeply, and that my fitness level was seriously dropping.

A week off them now by the way, feel like I've done it this time.

Any stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

"probably smoking had something to do with my pancreatic cancer"
    Patrick Swayze . Jan 09

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

A bit chesty afterwards but that was probably the system clearing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

I thought this might be a useful reminder for quitting smoking. Post about your health experiences from smoking.

I used to go out drinking and just start chain smoking. Did this about once a week for about two years (age 18-21) and at the peak basically smoked about 50 unfiltered rollies in the space of about 6/7 hours.

Woke up once or twice with fingernails that were totally yellow. And also coughing up black stuff from my lungs.

Woke up one day a few months ago with an awful cough. Went to the bathroom and there was some blood in my spit, and my lungs were making a funny noise like when you're belly is rumbling. This happened for 3 days. Went to hospital and they gave me antibiotics and it went away. I stopped for 2 weeks but it crept back in. I started to notice though more and more that I couldn't breathe as deeply, and that my fitness level was seriously dropping.

A week off them now by the way, feel like I've done it this time.

Any stories?

the wheezing cough and blood is bronchitis,i get it every winter, still cant quit smoking, at it 30 years now, fair play to you for giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Geog wrote: »
    A bit chesty afterwards but that was probably the system clearing out.

Oh yeah, the stuff I coughed up over the first few weeks after giving up was seriously manky.

Can't say there have been very noticable health benefits since giving up - obviously coughing less and have a bit more stamina when it comes to excercise. I've really noticed my taste and smell improve, especially after 6 months, but I still think they are improving even now (nearly 20 months off - yay!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Coughing Coughing Coughing Coughing Coughing Coughing :mad:
    Wrinkles
    Tiredness
    Smelly
    House Smelly
    Clothes Smelly
    Expensive Addiction is Smoking
    Quit 21/5/09 with Champix :D

Advertisement