Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new monitor display was working until reboot

• 04-07-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I just bought a new Samsung SyncMaster P2250. Native resolution is 1920 x1080. I connected it to my laptop yesterday via a docking station. It all worked perfectly. Resolution was correct, wide screen aspect ratio was correct. In fact, it was working perfectly until I rebooted this morning.

Today, it starts with two large black bands either side of the display. When I change the screen resolution to 1920x1080 (display-properties-settings) the image gets stretched across the screen. When I change the monitor display from 'wide' to 'auto', I'm back to a having the display with two large dark bands either side.

I have removed and readded the Samsung display driver. This doesn't help.

As the display worked correctly yesterday, and not today, what has happened in the mean time?? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Try reducing the Hardware acceleration rate and refresh rate in display properties, might help. Also what screen resolution does the graphics card support?

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Changing the acceleration rate and refresh rate didn't help. I had this working perfectly yesterday. Perfect, sharp, wide screen image at 1920x1080 & after rebooting it's just not working! :mad:

Final post on this (hopefully)!

I uninstalled the Samsung driver (came with monitor on a CD) and rebooted the machine. It all works perfectly now. Back to 1920x1080 wide screen. :D

So, my Device Manager is back to Default monitor & Plug and Play monitor again. No mention of Samsung anywhere.

Anyone know why this is happening? :confused:

:mad: Back to square 1 again.
    when I booted the machine this evening the monitor is back to the way it was yesterday morning :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What video card do you have? Also try updating the video card drivers aswell might help

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    What video card do you have? Also try updating the video card drivers aswell might help

Nick
    It's an Intel 915GM express chipset with the latest drivers installed.

I can't understand how it has worked for 2 days and I just can't get it to work now. I'm back to having the samsung driver installed, a res of 1920x1080 but with a stretched image :(

Ok, I think I have this worked out. I haven't rebooted the machine yet, but I am looking at a proper 1920x1080 wide screen image. It's the first time since Sunday!! :D
    This is what I did (for anyone with a similar issue - I think the Samsung P2250 was released in March/April this year)
    I uninstalled the Samsung driver using the Display properties window.
    (Properties - Settings - Right click the monitor - Properties - Monitor tab - Under Monitor Type - click Properties - Driver). The Default Monitor should take over rather than the Plug & Play Monitor. I installed the MagicTune Software then. Rebooted and it's all working well.

I can't believe it but I'm back at this problem again.

New laptop running XP SP3 - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 Adapter

Native res of the monitor is 1920x1080 60Hz
    The adapter likes 1152x864 (you can imagine how big the image is! :eek:)
    I've it set to 1600x1200 at the mo, but the image is stretched horizontally.

I've tried DTDCalc - hd3450 writes DALNonStandardModesBCD to registry and not DTD's, so DTDCalc is out.

PowerStrip doesn't seem to work.

I've hacked the .inf file by adding 1920x1080, but it seems to hang the bootup process and the new res is not available.

Is there anything else I can try? If I change the monitor I have no way of knowing if a new monitor will work.
    1152x864 is an unacceptable res for the work I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 patchrick

1152x864 is the wrong aspect ratio for your Samsung but I'm guessing that your laptop is not widescreen but a 4:3. Is that right?
    What's happening (I think) is that you are running a duplicate screen on both the laptop screen and the Samsung and the laptop is over-riding the Samsung.
    Try setting the display settings to only show on the Samsung and not the laptop or set the Samsung to be the default display (Intel has a special config panel for that).
    The problem isn't with the Samsung screen (we use them all the time here at Teleport.ie), it's down to the Intel graphics card not behaving itself.

HTH,
    Patrick

Hi Patrick
    I guess I left out the fact that I'm using a docking station, so the laptop lid is closed.
    The Display Properties window only shows one monitor as does the ATI Catalyst Control Center (ATI software).
    You are correct about the laptop being 4:3 and the monitor 16:9.
    HP laptops also have a Fn F4 key which allows switching between monitors.
    Just so frustrated with this right now!

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    Hi Patrick
    The Display Properties window only shows one monitor as does the ATI Catalyst Control Center (ATI software).
    How come your laptop has ATI catalyst software when you have an Intel Graphics chipset??
    Try using the monitor without the docking station and let us know what happens.

Patrick

patchrick wrote: »
    How come your laptop has ATI catalyst software when you have an Intel Graphics chipset??
    I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 now. This is the second laptop.
    patchrick wrote: »
    Try using the monitor without the docking station and let us know what happens.
    Same as when the machine is docked - no difference.

8 month old monitor! :rolleyes:
    It'll have to go.

Do I just make sure that the next monitor is not wide screen (16:9)?

MargeS wrote: »
    8 month old monitor! :rolleyes:
    It'll have to go.
    Whoah there! I'm certain the problem is not with the monitor. I've been thinking about this problem and am sure that if I had a look at your setup I could sort it out.
    Fixing things like this is my business but its difficult to diagnose it on the forum. Excuse the sales pitch but we do remote access support services from €30 (no fix no fee). If you would like us to give it a go pm me or visit our site (Teleport.ie).

Patrick

Advertisement