Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pork Scratchings - Order Online? Includes other Scratchings variations

• 04-07-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

just a quick question: I saw pork scratchings are available online (ebay, etc.). I want to order some bags (as they are not available here in Ireland) but was wondering if anyone has ordered them before and if so, which ones are the best in your opinion?

Thanks. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I was gonna buy some from Ricks on ebay, when I queried that p&p price it cost £17 sterling for 1 box to be delivered this is the reply I got

Beacuse _ READ THE LISTING _ part of the price of the scratchings is in the P&P. If you have a postcode it will go for £11.51 if not it will have to be sent airmail approx £11 which leaves me about a £1 to cover fees and packing etc. If you are not happy with the price dont buy them - simple!

so needless to say I didnt buy them from him. Some of the US sites where delivering for $7 so huge difference but dont know the quality of there scratchings.

Let me know how you get on. i LOVE scratchings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Ah damn, foodaholic. That was the one I saw. :(

Have you seen this page: Pork Scratching World ?

I also found this one explaining the different Mr Porky Scratchings available:

Mr Porky

They even have a distinction between scratchings and crackles.....I am drooling at this stage.

If everything else fails I just get pork rind with some fat attached from my local butchers and do it myself. However, that would almost amount to work and I am sure that is against the BGRH ethos. :o

my local butcher gives me the skin for free have a big slice in the fridge contemplating putting the oven on, there goes my diet. will send u a photo :D

foodaholic wrote: »
    there goes my diet...
    That is a word that does not exist in my vocabulary!

and nor in mine this weekend ;) just scoffed a whole 200g bag of pistacio nuts and salavating for scratchings now.:pac:

• Advertisement

And here I am having to make do with some steaks. Can't have it all I suppose.... ;)

....but that order for pig skin is going in for next week!

Also, there seem to be chicken and duck scratchings/crackling around (found it on a kosher foods website). I love crispy chicken skin, but duck skin is even better, has more fat underneath to provide extra juiciness and, of course, fatness. :D

do they deliver the duck scratchings oh god they sound delish, they could even surpass the pork.

I haven't found anyone delivering these yet. Have a look: Gratons de canard - duck scratchings

Maybe someone who speaks French could look up some delivery companies? It would be too good to be true if they'd deliver to Ireland.

Found this:
    ... 6. For the duck scratching, preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1. Lay the skin out over a cooling wire and bake for 40 minutes until golden-brown and crisp. Scatter over sea salt, to taste, and set aside ...

little pieces of heaven
    gratons-732359.JPG

It is little. Not even a mouthful. There need's to be a bucket of this stuff.

• Advertisement

The rule is that you have to have them with some drinky poos
    have to find me a friendly butcher who gives away duck skin.

The rule is that you have to have them with some drinky poos
    Some what?

I would drink beer with that. Copious amounts to wash down the salty greasiness of it all. Actually, I may have some pork before as a base and layer it with some nice German beer follwoed by the duck followed by some more beer. My culinary adventure are quite simple. ;)

drinky poos (all beverages containing alcohol)
    Im kinda liking the layering idea, how about trying it with as many different types of scratchings we can think of - personally a ice cold beer sounds the best, but if we,re going all out lots of glasses of bubbles, who says scratchings cant be posh:cool:

drinky poos (all beverages containing alcohol)
    Im kinda liking the layering idea, how about trying it with as many different types of scratchings we can think of - personally a ice cold beer sounds the best, but if we,re going all out lots of glasses of bubbles, who says scratchings cant be posh:cool:

Ah I see. Yes, I can see a whiskey in there. Bubbly stuff? Gives me the winds and heart burn. I second the ice cold beer which, by a stroke of luck, is already close at hand. ;)

the house is dry tonight, but might have a hot whiskey before bed for medicinal reasons of course.

I could see an ice cold gin and tonic working also, along with wine, cocktails there is a bit of a trend happening here:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

My friend always brings me over some pork scratchings when he flys over to England. My god they are good, especially with a few beers. They don't travel too well though and it's best to get them in a foil pack. Not as authentic as the plastic bags you can sometimes get in the pub over there but they'll keep the're freshness longer.

Oh man I want some right now. :(

Update. No luck so far. :( Ringing my local butcher now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

They sell packs of pub pork crackling in the Tesco in Maynooth...

Dolorous wrote: »
    They sell packs of pub pork crackling in the Tesco in Maynooth...

What? No way! I'll have to check my local Tesco now and see if they have it as well. :eek:

Ok, checked my Tesco and they don't have pork scratchings. They have bacon rasher crisps and stuff but it's not the same. Far from it :(

I can't believe they don't sell anywhere in Ireland and deliver within Ireland (delivery from the UK seems to be way too expensive).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

http://www.porkscratchingworld.com/Bags1.html

ASDA in Killteel past Newry sells them,different types too. Got a bag of one's and they look a bit like Tayto Snacks but you can only eat one before your gasping for air, nearly killed nyself in the car with no drink on the way home, they dry you out something fierce

Do they deliver? I am not driving that far. Sounds too much like work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

lol i like your answer, doubt they'd deliver unless your buying a truck full?

ill go halfs and we'll just sit in the truck until we have ate it clean

bungler wrote: »
    lol i like your answer, doubt they'd deliver unless your buying a truck full?

ill go halfs and we'll just sit in the truck until we have ate it clean

Or maybe a bgrh pork products conglomerate could, uhm, buy a truckload. I'll offer my house for, eh, safe storage. :pac:

These are the ones I got in Tesco Maynooth.

I bought a couple of bags out of sheer curiousity, and now that I've discovered that they're disgusting, I have an unopened bag left. First one to pm me gets them in the post :P

Guess what I am breakfasting on! :D

Thanks Dolorous! The bag arrived this morning. Lovely stuff. ;)

And you think they may also have a second brand of them there? I'll have to write to them and ask them to stock the pork scratchings in my Tesco as well. It's just too far for me to drive. :)

No problem! Have you tried ordering from Tesco online? Cheap next day delivery :)

Dolorous wrote: »
    No problem! Have you tried ordering from Tesco online? Cheap next day delivery :)

No, good idea, but not sure if they deliver all the way from Maynooth to me. ;)

But I have sent an email to Tesco Customer Services about this asking them if they plan to roll out the Pub Pork Crackling bags nationwide. Usually I cannot be bothered sending emails to customer services but I am serious about this one, damn it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GINA DUBLIN

Hi

Have found GENUINE pork scratchings in a food shop called ALTO in Middle Abbey Street beside New York Dry Cleaners :)

€1 a bag

they also sell Pork Crunch

• Advertisement

just found a shop in drogheda that sells them 55c per bag. its the londis beside the black bull, bought loads :D

Advertisement