Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flood stink

• 04-07-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

The carpark at my apartment building got flooded on Wednesday night with all the rain, there was also some sewage mixed in :(

Anyway, it seems there's a small hole in the bottom of the driver's side floor on my car and water got in and the carpet and mats on that side were wet, I've removed the mats and threw them out and dried out the carpet as best I could, but today it's stinking.

Free-breeze and other odour eliminators are not working, well they do for a little while, but when I come back and open the door the smell is there again.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell (it is only the driver's side carpet that's the cause)?

I've googled around and there's mention of ozone generators, and using baking soda followed by vinegar. Going to try the baking soda now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Don't leave it parked in direct sunlights with all the doors closed anyway, will make things alot worse.

I'd take out the carpet if possible, being careful or airbags if you are removing seats. That or beg/borrow/rent an industrial wet and dry hoover and try and hoover all the wet out. Dab the carpet with tissue or the likes. Make up some solution that has a strong nice smell, try and soak the carpet with that, then dry it again.

There is so much you can do, but the sooner you get rid of it the better.

If possible leave it somewhere with all the doors and windows open and leave as much air pass through.

If you are trying to drive the carpet/seats etc. turn the heating on full and point it at the floor. Leave the windows open half and inch and leave it for about half an hour/hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've just taken a further look, and pulled up some of the carpet, the whole padding/insulation below the carpet is soaking, I can squeeze it and I get loads of water out :(

I've left it for an hour, engine running, fans on full blast with the window just slightly open, not really having much effect.

Where could I rent a wet/dry hoover? or would one of the valet places be better able to remove the carpet and get at the underneath?

I don't fancy taking out the seats as TBH I wouldn't have a butchers how to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

colm_c wrote: »
    I've just taken a further look, and pulled up some of the carpet, the whole padding/insulation below the carpet is soaking, I can squeeze it and I get loads of water out :(

I've left it for an hour, engine running, fans on full blast with the window just slightly open, not really having much effect.

Where could I rent a wet/dry hoover? or would one of the valet places be better able to remove the carpet and get at the underneath?

I don't fancy taking out the seats as TBH I wouldn't have a butchers how to do it!

Dunno if would be up to the job, but i rented a 'industrial' carpet cleaner from homebase last year for the carpets in the house... Worked grand but was probably designed to shift stains rather than smells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What kind of car is it? Are there any electrical control units near the floor. Could cause serious problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You'd need a dehumidifier but it will probably not go away unless it is fully shampooed properly.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    What kind of car is it? Are there any electrical control units near the floor. Could cause serious problems

It's a Fiat Stilo (3 door), I didn't come across any when I pulled up a chunk of the carpet.
    You'd need a dehumidifier but it will probably not go away unless it is fully shampooed properly.

Dehumidifier -- sounds like an idea, I'll go do a bit of searching and see what comes up. Going to have a chat with the valet place in work to see what they have and get them to shampoo it when it's actually dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

have you any grounds to claim off the insurance of the apartment block owner??? worht checking out and having car then brought to a pro, and have a right job done on it...

robtri wrote: »
    have you any grounds to claim off the insurance of the apartment block owner??? worht checking out and having car then brought to a pro, and have a right job done on it...

Not sure, I've talked to the management company but the guy I talked to said they've no liability, yet the carpark has flooded twice before in the last 12 months due to a water pump failure.

Might talk to them again tomorrow and see what they say, I don't think I'm the only person in this boat, so I might talk to the neighbours and get us all together to get a complaint together, might be more effective rather than just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

robtri wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, the management company will have insurance against this sort of thing.

Advertisement