Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valet crew lost my car key

Options
  • 04-07-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Well. Its all in the title. I left my car in for a cleaning and returned to find my key had gone walkies. They suspect that a young lad under the guise of making an enquiry lifted it from the cleaning trolley, presumably hoping I didn’t have a spare (I did) so that he could return at night and make away with my motor. Happily if that was the case, he was foiled. Also, the valet outfit accept that they must replace the key.

My problem is this. Suppose someone of ill repute has taken my key, has noted my number plate and is hoping for an opportune moment when he may happen to spy my car parked somewhere. Rather unlikely I accept, but would I have any recourse to the valet if my car is stolen? And if I accept a replacement key, would that constitute a settlement of the matter? Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

That's crazy carry on. What If you didn't have a spare..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Name and shame....they should have a secure locked box to keep keys in!

Do you live locally to the valet? Chances of the knacker who stole the key finding your car again are probably pretty slim..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If your car does get stolen would your insurance company dispute it?
    They may say it's a scam, maybe you gave someone the key and needed the insurance claim money.

Dunno, is this worth reporting somewhere? But to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Insist on a new lock set instead of just having the key replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Insist on a new lock set instead of just having the key replaced.
    +1

Don't let them get away with just replacing the key. The thief still has a copy of your key and could still get a chance to lift your car. If your car was stolen using this key and your insurance company found this out they might even refuse to pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

where there some other keys on the bunch or was it just the car key?
    I know many folks keep the house key etc on the same bunch :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

If your car is an expensive one chances are they know where you live and were following you. I wouldn't be happy with just a new key, I would want the locks on the car changed as the key has not simply been misplaced, it has been stolen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

+1 on getting them to pay for the locks to be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Would it give you any piece of mind to go and buy a decent steering wheel lock and use it while you are sorting this out?

Some car models might be able to disallow a specific key at some stage in the security system. For example, I think that BMW can configure the immobiliser to prevent that specific key from starting the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

What could the OP do if they wouldn't agree to changing the lock set?

Some car models might be able to disallow a specific key at some stage in the security system. For example, I think that BMW can configure the immobiliser to prevent that specific key from starting the engine.

You can block keys on some makes but the key will still open the car and unlock the steering lock.

Then its a simple case of either putting the car on a transporter or even just towing it with a rope.

Get the locks changed your not at fault here you left your car with this company in good faith and they are the ones at fault those keys should never have been left in a situation where they could be stolen.

Banter Joe wrote: »
    What could the OP do if they wouldn't agree to changing the lock set?

When they informed the customer his key was missing they accepted responsibility.

The cost of changing a lock set is a lot cheaper than going to court I dont think there would be a judge in the land that would rule against the OP but then again im only a mechanic not a solicitor.

Then its a simple case of either putting the car on a transporter or even just towing it with a rope.
    Good point.
    Get the locks changed your not at fault here you left your car with this company in good faith and they are the ones at fault those keys should never have been left in a situation where they could be stolen.
    I definitely wouldn't settle for less.

Advertisement