Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something new for c&c

• 04-07-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well yeah,I havn't tried this before,It's exposing on the sky and using a flash to bring out the detail of the subject in this shot,It's my dog :pac:

Anyway i'd like some c&c on this as the weather is nice(photo was shot 30 mins ago) i'd be happy to try it again.

I shot it with a 430ex 1D MKII and sigma 20-40,Exif is on pix.ie,I locked the exopusure on the blue sky in the background and then focused on the dog and shot,It came out quite flat so as you might of noticed i ran it through lightroom ;)

I'm aware of the detail on her head between her eyes is blown out,Would reducing flash power reduce this or would i be better off using an off-camera cord for my flash and holding it abit behind me?

Anyway heres the photo,
    41A1E92185B242A79AFFD43C6418300E-800.jpg

Also i know about distractions etc in the setting so would rather technical c&c,Like underexopsing sky etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

Very nice ... I see you used a narrow aperture so background is not so blurred,
    how far was the lens from the dogs face ?

I remember seeing somewhere that there is a formula for focusing distance and
    aperture value so all is in focus ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

berengar wrote: »
    Very nice ... I see you used a narrow aperture so background is not so blurred,
    how far was the lens from the dogs face ?

I remember seeing somewhere that there is a formula for focusing distance and
    aperture value so all is in focus ...

Aperture was f/14 I had to use that to keep the sky exposed and the flash under max sync speed of 1/250

Thanks for the comment :)

Lens was probably about 30-40 cm from the dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

its a really good attempt. i'm not gone on the angle but I appreciate that you are probably trying to go beyond a standard portrait or landscape angle.

I like the saturation.

You've already spotted the burnt out areas on the dog. It can be difficult to achieve what you are seeking to do - at least in a single take.

If it were a landscape then you could shoot various parts at different exposures and do some blending skulduggery in PP. But because your subject won't really sit perfectly still this will be difficult. However you could still borrow the technique and blend two or more exposures or maybe meter somewhere in the middle to ensure you get all the detail of the scene and manipulate different parts of the scene ensuring that you maintain the detail of whatever it is you are looking for.

To be picky there is a shadow to the right hand side of the puppy's neck which if you had reflectors available to you it might help getting rid of it. Don't know how your subject might react to reflectors though.

Having said that I still think its a really good attempt. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    its a really good attempt.

You've already spotted the burnt out areas on the dog. It can be difficult to achieve what you are seeking to do - at least in a single take.

+ 1 to that, lost detail in the white parts of the dog and loss of detail in the eyes is the only things I don't like about it, a really good effort thought :)
    Not sure how you could do it any better in one shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

TBH I'm not seeing - or noticing maybe - anything blown out. And anything that's out on the histogram, well - so what. It's a lovely shot. Well done you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I really like the blue sky! It was well worth it. I have done the same, well slightly different with a sunset & lit the flowers with the flash.
    This turned out well! I see what the above post mentions about loss of detail, just turn down the flash. What amount was it on?

Don't know if you know this or not, but anyway. There is a setting on the camera, that will "multiple exposure shots". It might be worth a try. Then after you can see which is best. Then you may have not lost this detail in one of the shots. It lets you set the exposure and then snaps that and 2 others above and below eg F14 Then F13 & F16. It means you don't have to mess with exposure you can just shoot.

In Menu ± 2 ± AEB ± SET ± RIGHT KEY (as many times as you want)

You need to be fast for an active terrier! :)

Ps Great shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

padocon wrote: »
    I really like the blue sky! It was well worth it. I have done the same, well slightly different with a sunset & lit the flowers with the flash.
    This turned out well! I see what the above post mentions about loss of detail, just turn down the flash. What amount was it on?

Don't know if you know this or not, but anyway. There is a setting on the camera, that will "multiple exposure shots". It might be worth a try. Then after you can see which is best. Then you may have not lost this detail in one of the shots. It lets you set the exposure and then snaps that and 2 others above and below eg F14 Then F13 & F16. It means you don't have to mess with exposure you can just shoot.

In Menu ± 2 ± AEB ± SET ± RIGHT KEY (as many times as you want)

You need to be fast for an active terrier! :)

Ps Great shot!

Yeah i know about that setting,I've tired it but usually the subject or me move and only the original is ok(that was using a slower 20D though)

Thanks all for the comments :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Interesting idea, but the angle of the pic, the blown out areas and the busy backround ruin it for me, look forward to seeing an iimproved version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

I find it hard to get everything in focus using the 24-70 f2.8 L lens ...

even with f22 ...

I have to go way back ... and even then it's a buit blurred (background) ...

Advertisement