Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

hey my wife is pregnant 36 and a half weeks and was in the coombe today and so many people scare mongering about this vaccine - she now refuses to get it! SNIP

sick of the irish ways of going on always negative and cant see that this vaccine is so important:mad:

Because of this sort of thing, instead of being on the verge of eradication of some diseases like measles within a few years, as a direct result of vaccine scaremongering we are now seeing Britain on the verge of epidemics again.

Mostly down to a comprehensively discredited autism study done 11 years ago by a corrupt individual on barely a dozen kids. :(
    http://www.hsj.co.uk/health-experts-warn-of-measles-epidemic/1937046.article

HPA immunisation expert Dr Mary Ramsay said: "Over the last few years we have seen an unprecedented increase in measles cases and we are still receiving reports of cases across the country."

She put the soaring disease levels down to the low numbers of children taking up the MMR vaccine over the past decade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hey my wife is pregnant 36 and a half weeks and was in the coombe today and so many people scare mongering about this vaccine - she now refuses to get it! SNIP

sick of the irish ways of going on always negative and cant see that this vaccine is so important:mad:

Current HSE guidelines are that all pregnant women should be prioritised for vaccination, along with those identified as vunerable to the virus. This is on the basis of the UK trials (which are ongoing).

Surely the implications of *not* getting the vaccine and getting H1N1 influenza are far worse than even the worst scaremongering of the anti-vaccine brigade?

Next problem is the incredible low takeup of the vaccination scheme by community GPs- and the scaremongering (of a legal nature) on the part of the IMO (which is still up on their website). When GPs are terrified of being sued- by an incredibly litigious public- you may as well toss your hat and give up. I hate the media and journalists at large.......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

smccarrick wrote: »
    Current HSE guidelines are that all pregnant women should be prioritised for vaccination, along with those identified as vunerable to the virus. This is on the basis of the UK trials (which are ongoing).

It's recommending it for pregnant women in the second and third trimesters though isn't it?

nesf wrote: »
    It's recommending it for pregnant women in the second and third trimesters though isn't it?

Yes.
    The maternity hospitals are referring queries about the vaccine to US trials, along with the UK trials- and are suggesting that even the regular (not H1N1) vaccine is perfectly safe- but in the same breath are deferring to people's GPs- who in turn are being advised by the shrill legal advice on the IMO website and other sources (which if my reading is correct- suggests that if a GP is partaking in the scheme and does not give the vaccine to someone who subsequently contracts the virus- that they leave themselves open to being sued........) This is very distinct from suggesting there is something wrong with the vaccine.

Yes.
    The maternity hospitals are referring queries about the vaccine to US trials, along with the UK trials- and are suggesting that even the regular (not H1N1) vaccine is perfectly safe- but in the same breath are deferring to people's GPs- who in turn are being advised by the shrill legal advice on the IMO website and other sources (which if my reading is correct- suggests that if a GP is partaking in the scheme and does not give the vaccine to someone who subsequently contracts the virus- that they leave themselves open to being sued........) This is very distinct from suggesting there is something wrong with the vaccine.

Yeah, I read the guidelines as "playing it very safe despite the lack of any information to suggest there is any danger" with the whole second/third trimester recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

It is getting annoying at this stage, I just want the vacine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

CathyMoran wrote: »
    It is getting annoying at this stage, I just want the vacine!
    me too, im a delivery driver to offices so paranoid about getting it now!

im also prioritised to get it for health reasons so come on tuesday i think????

I'm in my second trimester and a type 1 diabetic (and a few other things), my hubby has crohns and is on immunosupressants with his condition, to say that we need it is an understatement! The wait is terrible.

Monday the 2nd of November is the date now being given out...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

This scaremongering ****e really gets to me... was talking to the OH a little while ago and he said his mam just said she's not getting it because there hasn't been enough research... argh! She has so many underlying health conditions and is on immunosuppressants and I just feel like shaking her. From knowing her this is not based on any research she has done herself it will be based on (a) a friend of a friend with some story (b) News of the World or similar

*deep breaths* so ****ing annoyed

• Advertisement

This scaremongering ****e really gets to me... was talking to the OH a little while ago and he said his mam just said she's not getting it because there hasn't been enough research... argh! She has so many underlying health conditions and is on immunosuppressants and I just feel like shaking her. From knowing her this is not based on any research she has done herself it will be based on (a) a friend of a friend with some story (b) News of the World or similar

*deep breaths* so ****ing annoyed
    I agree, I think that the risk is in not taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

My son will be getting the vaccine this afternoon. We weren't expecting the call until after the hallow'een break but I have to say I'm very excited with a modicum of trepidation.

He's asthmatic and has had two bad chest infections since September. He's been out of school for the last two and a half weeks - initially with an infection and latterly because I was trying to keep him bug free in anticipation of the vaccine.

Good luck to those of you awaiting it. I hope things work out sooner rather than later.

HSE rep and a number of GPs discussing the vaccination programme on Liveline on Radio 1 at the moment.....

Well, my son has had the first does of the vaccine. He didn't like the needle (could have been any needle) and was in a strop for a few minutes afterwards because I held him down while he had it.

By the time he had bought a Nintendo game, I was the best in the world and he was considering going back for the second dose (he thinks an announcement still has to be made about the u/14s ;))

So far he hasn't grown 3 heads or developed green scales.

Where did you get it?

Where did you get it?

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ManofMunster

feel like s***. all the symptoms of swine flu.

have trip booked to london tomorrow (flights, hotel, match ticket for nfl). no chance of being able to go. travel insurance policy says it won't pay out unless i have some proof from GP i couldn't travel. but then we're being told to stay at home and not to present to gp's in case flu spreads further.

anyone heard what we're supposed to do in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Call your GP and explain the situation - they'll more than likely do you up a cert anyway. Might charge 20e for it or something

So, the aftermath of swine flu for me:

Constant cough for the week since the flu subsided, occasional coughing fits bad enough to make me vomit, or like tonight get a nosebleed (the latter was weird, it's very rare for me to get nosebleeds). Severe malaise though I think that's partially down to my bipolar and my mood being ****ed from being sick so long. I've been out of action pretty much 2 full weeks now and it doesn't seem like abating soon. Haven't picked up any secondary infections since the flu subsided which I'm very relieved with. I'm generally very susceptible to chest infections and a "viral cough" for a week after a flu isn't good a combination with such. Last time it happened many years ago I ended up in hospital with pneumonia and a fever of 42. :p

So, miserable but nothing serious wrong with me. So I guess I can't complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think I may have had swine flu already, can I just ask my GP to test me to see if I actually need the jab?, if not can i just call up my GP and say I would like it (have mild asthma so I guess I'm more at risk)?
    I understand that not all GP's are doing this, is there a list somewhere so I can find the nearest one to me that does it?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    I think I may have had swine flu already, can I just ask my GP to test me to see if I actually need the jab?, if not can i just call up my GP and say I would like it (have mild asthma so I guess I'm more at risk)?
    I understand that not all GP's are doing this, is there a list somewhere so I can find the nearest one to me that does it?

Thanks.

They're not bothering to test anyone anymore.
    If you have had it- you would have antibodies, but they are so similar to other flu antibodies (particularly if you were born prior to 1976) that testing for prior exposure, even if they were to do it, is practically futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

We test antibodies all the time experimentally. it's very easy to do.

But there's no point. If you actively have it, then get a swab. Depending on the situation there may or may be any point.
    If you think you may have already had it but aren't sure, the vaccine would still be recommended.

They're not bothering to test anyone anymore.

Edit: Never mind, misread your post.

I, my wife and son were all tested last week when we were ill with suspected H1N1. They are still testing some people.

Perhaps its dependent on the GP- we were told they had stopped altogether in West Dublin.

On a good note- our GP got her first batch of vaccine today. Wahooo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

So, the aftermath of swine flu for me:

Constant cough for the week since the flu subsided, occasional coughing fits bad enough to make me vomit, or like tonight get a nosebleed (the latter was weird, it's very rare for me to get nosebleeds). Severe malaise though I think that's partially down to my bipolar and my mood being ****ed from being sick so long. I've been out of action pretty much 2 full weeks now and it doesn't seem like abating soon. Haven't picked up any secondary infections since the flu subsided which I'm very relieved with. I'm generally very susceptible to chest infections and a "viral cough" for a week after a flu isn't good a combination with such. Last time it happened many years ago I ended up in hospital with pneumonia and a fever of 42. :p

So, miserable but nothing serious wrong with me. So I guess I can't complain too much.
    As far as I know the recovery from swine flu is meant to be exceptionally quick. When I got it, it came on very suddenly, one day I just had a strange but only slight cough, woke up the next morning and nearly fainted (temperature). But after about 5 days I was perfectly fine again, with only a mild cough.

If you're symptoms worsen or don't subside the advice is to see a GP (unless you feel it's getting better yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 michelle79

hi, im new, but have been reading up on this forum as my 5 year old has "suspected" swine flu. he has a liver disease, so I am worried to say the least. i am also worried that if it isnt swine-flu, that he will miss out on the vaccine. they started him on tamiflu. i want him tested to see if he really has it. its bank holiday monday, so gp's are shut. of course, i wouldnt have physically brought him there, as that would be unfair to others.but i thought maybe they would call out, or give me the swab kit.anyway, theyre closed so i rang Crumlin hospital who treat my son for his condition, they said its ok to go to local hospital (drogheda) for the swab, just to ring to arrange it first, so that he wouldnt be in the waiting rooms etc. well i rang Lourdes hospital in drogheda, and they said their policy is to only test people who are admitted!! grr!! How the hell do i get him tested then? do gp's do it? i cant believe we dont have a choice!!

michelle79 wrote: »
    do gp's do it? i cant believe we dont have a choice!!

GPs do do it. Ring in advance and ask if your normal GP can sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 michelle79

thanks nesf,
    its just unlucky its a bank hol today. i even found it hard to find an open chemist.
    i will ring gp first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Just found an interesting article in today's Irish Independent, it seems irish people in particular may be deficient in Vit D and supplementation may decrease the risk of contracting flu.

Vitamin D might lessen your flu risk

"Now that the swine flu vaccine is finally in the country, at-risk groups are being urged to get inoculated. But while the Irish government has invested millions of euro in orders for the vaccine from pharmaceutical companies, it is interesting to note that one country is taking a different approach.
    The Canadian government, and more specifically the provinces of Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Nova Scotia, have suspended the 'normal' seasonal flu shots for anyone under 65 in response to a recent study there.
    The lead researcher, Danuta Skowronski, of the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, and Gaston De Serres, of Laval University, have confounded infectious-disease experts by suggesting that people vaccinated against seasonal flu are twice as likely to catch swine flu".

http://www.independent.ie/health/diet-fitness/vitamin-d-might-lessen-your-flu-risk-1924363.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

But has anyone shown that irish people are deficient in vitamin D?

I've not seen too many paddies with rickets :P

Advertisement