Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint against After Hours moderator

Options
  • 04-07-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I would like to make a complaint against this moderator in after hours:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611553

I posted a few threads in AH today and a couple of them were deleted.
    the last of these threads was to inquire as to why my threads were being deleted and to request that the moderator in question show a modicum of manners in explaining to me why my threads were being delete via a private message. This thread was deleted forthwith without an explanation.

I have found quite a few of the mods to be helpful and more of them have the common courtesy to explain their reasoning to you when they feel must take the lock or deletion option.

My threads may have been deleted for valid reasons (though none contravene the charter), I'd just like to know the reasons.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭CAPSLOCK365

Just received this for asking why my threads were being deleted
    Hi CAPSLOCK365,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Trolling and abuse to a Moderator

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 7 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

from sharpshooter.

Good to know one of them has figured out how the pm fuction works.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Good to know one of them has figured out how the pm fuction works.

:/
    If you wish to know the reason for a Mod action, simply drop them a PM and ask.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    :/
    If you wish to know the reason for a Mod action, simply drop them a PM and ask.
    This was the nub of the problem.
    The threads were deleted. No-one pm-ed me to tell me who deleted them.
    When i put up threads asking why, they were deleted.
    In the absence of the mod having the courtesy to let me know who he is and why he is deleting them, how am I to pm him?
    I don't know who he is to pm him. *

*or her

edit: Sharpshooter ha since told me it was him/her who deleted them via pm.
    But why could he/she not have done this in the first place?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you do not know which Mod to PM, then PM them all and the correct one will answer your question.
    FYI - I normally do not PM people who's threads I close.
    I'd spend my day in my Inbox if I were to start that.
    Reading the forum charter will probably give you a hint as to why a thread is closed.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you do not know which Mod to PM, then PM them all and the correct one will answer your question.
    FYI - I normally do not PM people who's threads I close.
    I'd spend my day in my Inbox if I were to start that.
    Reading the forum charter will probably give you a hint as to why a thread is closed.
    As I've already said, I'm fairly certain that I haven't contravened the forum charter.
    PM'ing all the mods is a pain in the hole.
    Perhaps if upon deletion or locking of a post/thread, the mod did pm the poster, they wouldn't be so whimsical about doing it. They seem to have plenty of time to throw in a smart comment at the end of most threads when they lock them. Maybe they could redirect their 'wit' to having the courtesy to inform the poster what he/she has done wrong.

In this particular case, I posted threads asking the mod for reasons and to pm me.

For my troubles, I got banned by someone who hid behins anonymity until he seixzed on a superfluous reason to ban me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I posted a few threads in AH today and a couple of them were deleted.
    the last of these threads was to inquire as to why my threads were being deleted<snip>
    At a quick glance, I can see four deleted threads that were threads you started today. Three of them were asking about the threads being deleted. The fourth was a thread about "knackers".

There are also two locked threads, one which appears to be a series of tennis pictures posted by you, with a few scores thrown in in the form of a storyline of sorts. This was locked by sharpshooter with the quip "I've had enough of this racket", which may heve been a giveaway on who locked it. The second is a news story from somewhere.

So you've got two locked threads, one deleted thread and three deleted threads about your deleted threads. And now this one. I'm up to date now I think.

If I were you, I'd read the AH charter pretty carefully and figure out the first thing I'm doing wrong. The second thing is more obvious: posting a new thread in AH isn't the way to go about finding out why your single thread was deleted. That's presumably why the next three were deleted, as that's all they were for.

sceptre wrote: »
    At a quick glance, I can see four deleted threads that were threads you started today. Three of them were asking about the threads being deleted. The fourth was a thread about "knackers".

There are also two locked threads, one which appears to be a series of tennis pictures posted by you, with a few scores thrown in in the form of a storyline of sorts. This was locked by sharpshooter with the quip "I've had enough of this racket", which may heve been a giveaway on who locked it. The second is a news story from somewhere.

So you've got two locked threads, one deleted thread and three deleted threads about your deleted threads. And now this one. I'm up to date now I think.

If I were you, I'd read the AH charter pretty carefully and figure out the first thing I'm doing wrong. The second thing is more obvious: posting a new thread in AH isn't the way to go about finding out why your single thread was deleted. That's presumably why the next three were deleted, as that's all they were for.
    1) never judge a book by it's cover.
    Read the knackers post.

2) The tennis thread was locked by sharpshooter, which was fine by me. It was an attempt at humour...which you'd see if you read it to the end. edit: it had also reached the punchline - poor as it may have been.

3) the other threads were an attempt to find out who was deleting my threadd. It seemed to be the only avenue to find out since they were being deleted and I had no idea by whom. Most times I've had threads deleted, the mods have had the common courtesy to pop off a pm and either explain why or warn me.

I don't see what I've done wrong here. If you can explain it to me, I'll take it on the chin.

If you can also explain how I enter into a discussion with a moderator who has anonymously deleted my thread, shy of pming every moderator in the forum , then I'm all ears.

Just as an aside, this isn't a thread complaining about my banning, unfair as it is.
    It is a thread about threads being anonymously deleted for unknown reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I read the knackers post. We've never had a single thread that didn't mention the word "knacker" in the title that didn't degenerate into a shouting match within ten or twenty posts so I can easily see why the thread was deleted.

The tennis thread was, well, on a personal basis I understood it but didn't find it funny, as they say. I'm not the judge of what's acceptable or not on the basis of thread quality though:)

I can definitely see your point on not knowing who deleted your thread, though the note by sharpshooter in the locked thread could have been a reasonable indicator, albeit not a conclusive one. Ideally we'd all get a notification any time something like that was done but often mods don't have the time or they forget to or in their experience, particularly modding a forum like After Hours which can be pretty boisterous at times, they've found it easier to delete threads about knackers regardless of the underlying tone that might be present. It's often hard for them to tell the difference between the single well-meaning person who actually wants to have a rational discussion about an emptive topic using some loaded language and the other 99, who just want to set the place on fire and laugh as it burns. In that case, it may be possible that what you did specifically is judged because of the actions of a shower of tossers who post flaming stuff in the same way, though I haven't looked at any of your other posts or anything like that - just counting possibilities.

As for what you're doing wrong? The one easily definable thing that you've "done wrong" is to start a series of "who deleted my thread" posts in After Hours when the only options open are to send a PM to the moderators to ask who and why or to start a thread in Feedback or preferably the Help Desk to ask. That's why those posts in particular would have been deleted - they'd most likely have been deleted from any other forum on the same basis. I don't see a problem with sending a PM to all the mods asking who and why if there isn't any evidence to indicate who or why. It's totally preferable to starting three threads asking the same question for example. I'd send a PM to all to ask if I was in that situation and was curious. I completely take your point that ideally you'd be told but I think it's reasonable that you consider taking mine on some of the reasons why you weren't.

Advertisement