Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clio - timing belt.

• 04-07-2009 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

do any clio's come without a timing belt.
    i thought they all had them, but a dealer told me a car i was looking at
    had a timing chain, and not a belt, so didnt need to be changed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Have a 99 1.2 Clio and it has a timing belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Which Clio is it you're looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I cant think of any recent Renault with a chain off hand.

I could very easily be wrong though.

EDIt, actually it appears theres a Laguna diesel that uses a chain and one model of clio , but not sure exactly which engines.

Is it a Clio 2 your looking at? The 1.2's are belts anyway. The 1.4 meganes are belts too so I'd say it's a safe bet that the 1.4 clio is too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Both 8 and 16 valve petrol 1.2 litre Clio engines use a belt and the 1.5 dci also uses a belt. Even the 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 from the UK use a belt. I never seen or heard of a Clio with a timing chain unless its a V6 :D. I think the dealer is pulling your chain :P.......sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I never seen or heard of a Clio with a timing chain unless its a V6 :D.

Maybe he's lookign at this :)

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200840190245140

BGut in fairness, the Espace, Laguna and Vel Satis with the V6 were belts, so I doubt it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

kueef wrote: »
    do any clio's come without a timing belt.
    i thought they all had them, but a dealer told me a car i was looking at
    had a timing chain, and not a belt, so didnt need to be changed.

Go to a different dealer...;)

Mine broke prematurely (48000mls) and messed up the head,valves etc......but not as expensive to fix as i thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sids Not wrote: »
    Go to a different dealer...;)

Mine broke prematurely (48000mls) and messed up the head,valves etc......but not as expensive to fix as i thought..

yours comes without a timing belt :)

also:
    kueef wrote: »
    i know timing belt/water pump done every 40k aprox
    but anyone know generally how many miles the engines last? 100k?
    150k? 170k:eek:?

this was before you bought the car, I'm assuming you went over the 40k interval?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

colm_mcm wrote: »
    yours comes without a timing belt :)

also:

this was before you bought the car, I'm assuming you went over the 40k interval?

i havent bought one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

2 friends of mine had clios the timing belt broke on both of them. There are better cars out there, but someone not changing the timing belt when its due is not really the cars fault, some other cars timing belts have much longer intervals and are much less likely to snap.
    I would not buy a french car personally i think the design is arseways but each to there own.
    Japanese all the way for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

On the clio 2 they say change the belt at 70k miles......;)...i thought i was safe..:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement