Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup has runs:(

Options
  • 04-07-2009 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Ive a 8 week old pup and since yesterday she has the runs..When she goes she straight away tries to eat it...any ideas what i can do??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Eek, not nice -- eh, how long have you had her? Are you feeding her the same as her previous owners did? Has she been eating anything else?

As regards her trying to eat it, you need to keep a close eye and just pull her up and clean the mess before she can. It's not completely unknown for dogs to do that, but obviously it's not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

star-pants wrote: »
    Eek, not nice -- eh, how long have you had her? Are you feeding her the same as her previous owners did? Has she been eating anything else?

As regards her trying to eat it, you need to keep a close eye and just pull her up and clean the mess before she can. It's not completely unknown for dogs to do that, but obviously it's not good.
    Ye the owner had her on pedigree but i was advised to go onto "redmills" so i did a week ago.She was eating ok up to yestaerday..

Yeah redmills is better - and you soak it before she eats it yes?
    Has she eaten anything other than her dog food recently?

Yes i soak it and no nothing else at all.Seems really tired also..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

upthedub wrote: »
    Ive a 8 week old pup and since yesterday she has the runs..When she goes she straight away tries to eat it...any ideas what i can do??
    the first time i had a young pup,,he had the runs i phoned the breeder and he told me to put powered arrowroot in his meal, it worked.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    the first time i had a young pup,,he had the runs i phoned the breeder and he told me to put powered arrowroot in his meal, it worked.
    Were can i get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is the pups worming program up to date?

Isn't arrowroot just a thickening agent? Surely you'd be better off getting to the bottom of the problem that just disguising it?

Could be the change in food, you're supposed to do it gradually, but I wouldn't have thought it'd take a week to show.

True - I'd check the worming, I had to do that for my pup when we got her.

Were can i get that?
    chemist shop,but its not a drug ,you can also get it in a lot of continental food stores

She was wormed about 5 days ago..

• Advertisement

-it also kills any poison in the body //was once used by the south american indians as a antidote against poisoned arrows

getz wrote: »
    -it also kills any poison in the body //was once used by the south american indians as a antidote against poisoned arrows
    And you reckon it will work???

What about her vaccinations?

Keep a close eye on her, if she's lethargic it's not really a great sign and young pups can go downhill fast. Chances are it's just a tummy upset but if you're in doubt at all then ring your vet straight away.

Shes to get her first vaccination monday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Try mixing some rice into its food.

Ye i will try that with a small bit of her dry mix..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

1) make sure she drinks lot of water. Persistent diarrhea is very dehydrating and that can seriously harm your pup

2) ring your local vet NOW, discuss the symptoms over the phone and find out whether you need to see the (emergency) vet today or if it can wait till after the weekend and what to do in the meantime

3) get off the internet and do both of the above immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

I would get her to a vet. When I first got my pup, she got the runs and she seemed lethargic so I took her to see the vet straight away and she was put on antibiotics and stuff called Pro-Kolin X. Was bouncing around the next day like she was never ill.

Ok going to do this now folks and il update later thanks

If she hasn't had any vaccinations then the vet is your first port of call.

Hope she feels better soon.

• Advertisement

And you reckon it will work???
    it always worked for my first dogs breeder,he and his family had breed dogs since 1920s

Vets are closed close to me so i rang the aniaml hospital in ucd think it is,and they basically said that i would be there for hours before i was to be seen,so they said try hang on till monday..:eek:

Im 5 minutes from boots pharmacy so would they have anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it's just "normal" runs, boiled rice with bits of boiled chicken (no spices, seasoning or extra butter) should have her sorted after one or two feeds.

Make sure she drinks and keep an eye on her. If she seems to be going downhill / pants a lot or is very lethargic then the vets would still be the safest bet.

Tried the rice but she has know interest??

go the arrowroot route it will not hurt her

what exactly is it called???il go the chemist now before they close

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

All the arrowroot or prokolin will do is bind up her poos and make them less runny. It just disguises the problem and as a pup, I'd prefer to know that the bug is clearing up rather than not know if she's over the tummy bug or not.

If she's an un-vaccinated pup, it could equally be parvo as the incubation period is roughly five to ten days. If she's off her food and has diarrhoea, warning bells always ring for me. If the poo has a pinkish tinge or a very strong odour (other than your normal poo odour) then I would get on to UCD again, particularly if she seems very weak or listless. Pups are so delicate. It's so important to keep her hydrated right now - pinch the skin along the ridge of her back between your thumb and forefinger. If the skin doesn't go back to it's normal position very quickly and instead remains "peaked" then she's very dehydrated. You may be able to get electrolyte powder in the chemist to put in her water that will help her as the powder replenishes minerals and salts lost through the diarrhoea and will help keep her hydrated.

When she's recovered, you could give her small amounts of probiotic yoghurt as a topping on her food for a few days to help soothe her gut and restore the healthy bacteria in her tum.

Edited to add: Are her poos slimey and runny, like watery jelly, or are they very watery?

boomerang wrote: »
    All the arrowroot or prokolin will do is bind up her poos and make them less runny. It just disguises the problem and as a pup, I'd prefer to know that the bug is clearing up rather than not know if she's over the tummy bug or not.

If she's an un-vaccinated pup, it could equally be parvo as the incubation period is roughly five to ten days. If she's off her food and has diarrhoea, warning bells always ring for me. If the poo has a pinkish tinge or a very strong odour (other than your normal poo odour) then I would get on to UCD again, particularly if she seems very weak or listless. Pups are so delicate. It's so important to keep her hydrated right now - pinch the skin along the ridge of her back between your thumb and forefinger. If the skin doesn't go back to it's normal position very quickly and instead remains "peaked" then she's very dehydrated. You may be able to get electrolyte powder in the chemist to put in her water that will help her as the powder replenishes minerals and salts lost through the diarrhoea and will help keep her hydrated.

When she's recovered, you could give her small amounts of probiotic yoghurt as a topping on her food for a few days to help soothe her gut and restore the healthy bacteria in her tum.

Edited to add: Are her poos slimey and runny, like watery jelly, or are they very watery?

They are like a watery jelly and very strong odour..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hope your pup is doing better.

I've had numerous occasions of this with our fella, usualyy due to him eating anything he can get his teeth into.
    Called the vet out of hours once for it & was told it was likely due to eating bark or anything from the side of the road while walking, and to monitor for a day & bring him in if not improving.

Have you called your local vet number - they may have a message for an on call vet who could see your puppy quicker than in UCD.

Advertisement