Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup has runs:(

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Hope your pup is doing better.

I've had numerous occasions of this with our fella, usualyy due to him eating anything he can get his teeth into.
    Called the vet out of hours once for it & was told it was likely due to eating bark or anything from the side of the road while walking, and to monitor for a day & bring him in if not improving.

Have you called your local vet number - they may have a message for an on call vet who could see your puppy quicker than in UCD.
    Yes thanks she is doing alot better.Eating abit also;)

strange though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gonetothedoggs

I've been reading the previous posts with interest. It could be any number of things that have caused this including as previously mentioned, parvo, tummy upset due to eating something bad etc. Even if she is fine when going to the vet for the vaccinations, it would be best to mention it as a lot of time these things though seeming to be cleared up, can reoccur over and over again without being treated with antibiotics. I do hope she will be ok.

I've been reading the previous posts with interest. It could be any number of things that have caused this including as previously mentioned, parvo, tummy upset due to eating something bad etc. Even if she is fine when going to the vet for the vaccinations, it would be best to mention it as a lot of time these things though seeming to be cleared up, can reoccur over and over again without being treated with antibiotics. I do hope she will be ok.
    Nearest appointment i got is 4 0 clock today and the vet thinks it could be parvo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

upthedub wrote: »
    Nearest appointment i got is 4 0 clock today and the vet thinks it could be parvo.

Fingers crossed its not.I almost lost my Samoyed to parvo when he was a puppy.If it is be prepared for an expensive Vets bill.My pup was on a drip for 4 days,antibiotics and round the clock care and I dont think I had much change from 700 pounds (at the time)

When he did recover well enough to keep food in--it was a chicken breast and boiled rice diet for 2 weeks.

Let us know how your pup gets on.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Fingers crossed its not.I almost lost my Samoyed to parvo when he was a puppy.If it is be prepared for an expensive Vets bill.My pup was on a drip for 4 days,antibiotics and round the clock care and I dont think I had much change from 700 pounds (at the time)

When he did recover well enough to keep food in--it was a chicken breast and boiled rice diet for 2 weeks.

Let us know how your pup gets on.
    Just to let everyone no that i went the vet.The vet said it was NOT parvo:Dand he reckons it is got to do with worming her.So he gave two injections and special tinned food and very strong worming tablets so fingers crossed for the next day or two.

Thanks to everyone;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Awh yay! I'm so glad it wasn't parvo. I was worried when I got my pup, she'd runny poo and blood and turns out it was just change of house etc. Possibly worming too.

I'm glad your pup is on the mend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Fantastic news Upthedub!! Glad she is doing ok now!! :D

She still isnt eating much though..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I think the worming tablets might sicked them a little. My little one isn't eating much today, was wormed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Sounds very similar to when my dog came home. Once wormed it was an adventure every time we went to clean a poo!!! My poor puppy was full of worms but once he'd passed them he was great and ate all around him. Over a year down the line he's the bestest doggie in the whole world so glad we got him.:D

• Advertisement

Im still worming her "well when she eats":rolleyes:but she is not eating much,except the tinned food the vet gave me a few days ago.Should i get her some tinned puppy food in the pet shop if she wont eat her dry food??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If she's still not 100% then ring the vet and ask his advice. I don't understand what you mean by still worming her? How many tablets were you to give her and what are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It's easier for young pups to eat the soft food, so naturally they like it better. My pup was on mostly wet with bit of dry mixed in when I got her, a week on I have her on the right dry food(for her size) now with small amount of wet food mixed in to moisten it. Planning to wean her off the wet gradually. Changing food suddenly can cause the runs, mine also had lot of worms it took about 4 days to get back to normal stools. I plan on worming every 2 weeks for next few weeks then monthly for few months, then 4 times a year. No need for more often. Are you using tablets or liquid?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

upthedub wrote: »
    Im still worming her "well when she eats":rolleyes:but she is not eating much,except the tinned food the vet gave me a few days ago.Should i get her some tinned puppy food in the pet shop if she wont eat her dry food??
    not sure what you mean by 'still worming her?? how many pill is she popping?? hope she's OK and getting better now,

mymo wrote: »
    It's easier for young pups to eat the soft food, so naturally they like it better. My pup was on mostly wet with bit of dry mixed in when I got her, a week on I have her on the right dry food(for her size) now with small amount of wet food mixed in to moisten it. Planning to wean her off the wet gradually. Changing food suddenly can cause the runs, mine also had lot of worms it took about 4 days to get back to normal stools. I plan on worming every 2 weeks for next few weeks then monthly for few months, then 4 times a year. No need for more often. Are you using tablets or liquid?

The vet gave me tablets to give her 2 a day for 4 days,not sure of the name of them

Advertisement