Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Charter for Different Forums

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I will add that when I wander into a new part of boards.ie for the first time I'll have a glance over the charter to familiarise myself with the local ground rules, as it were.

I'm not sure what a "good reason" for refusing to familiarise yourself with the rules is. If I drove up Parliament Street at a sedate 50km/h, do you think I'd get off if I told the traffic cop I couldn't be bothered reading the 30km/h signs, and decided to work on the assumption that, being in town, the speed limit was 50?

you drive down the road looking thru your windscreen and see a sign with a double digit number on it, you cant avoid that warning.
    you dont have to stop your car at the nearest garda station and walk in and check the notice board for speed limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

I'm not defending the no-swearing rule.

I'm saying you can't complain about being infracted for breaking a rule if you didn't read the charter. I didn't read the r&R charter, and if it says no swearing and I get an infraction, then fair enough.

tbh wrote: »
    I didn't read the r&R charter, and if it says no swearing and I get an infraction, then fair enough.

didn't the fact you had to misspell it mean something?

yes, it meant it wasn't allowed :confused:

Again, I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

yes, it meant it wasn't allowed :confused:

Again, I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

you broke the rules knowing you were breaking the rules and instead of an infraction you got thanked by mods.

i think you saw the point but choose not to agknowledge it

• Advertisement

you broke the rules knowing you were breaking the rules and instead of an infraction you got thanked by mods.

i think you saw the point but choose not to agknowledge it

Well you see, that's not the point at all. Firstly, I didn't know I if was breaking the rules, because I didn't read the rules. So far, same as the OP here.

Instead of an infraction, I got thanked by A mod - singular - and four non-mods. Funny the way, since you obviously checked, you get something like that wrong. I can't imagine you're trying to spin the facts to support a hidden agenda, so lets forget that idea.

I flatter myself that the thanks were for the "elvis looking motherfcuker" quote, and I figured that the good mods in R/R wouldn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't use the same language in PI, say, cause I know it's frowned on there.

However, and look closely, because this is my point, if I DID get an infraction for it, I would have accepted it, especially if it contained a link to a line in the charter that forbade swearing.

Well you see, that's not the point at all. Firstly, I didn't know I if was breaking the rules, because I didn't read the rules. So far, same as the OP here.

Instead of an infraction, I got thanked by A mod - singular - and four non-mods. Funny the way, since you obviously checked, you get something like that wrong. I can't imagine you're trying to spin the facts to support a hidden agenda, so lets forget that idea.

I flatter myself that the thanks were for the "elvis looking motherfcuker" quote, and I figured that the good mods in R/R wouldn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't use the same language in PI, say, cause I know it's frowned on there.

However, and look closely, because this is my point, if I DID get an infraction for it, I would have accepted it, especially if it contained a link to a line in the charter that forbade swearing.
    i got the second mod mixed up, he thanked you in another of your posts in that thread. i have no hidden agenda, why the paranoia?

It's not paranoia, it's the only reason I can think of for you searching my old posts in the hope of turning up inconsistencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It's not paranoia, it's the only reason I can think of for you searching my old posts in the hope of turning up inconsistencies.
    hahahaha

I think this topic is finished guys. Suppose I'll just have to read the charters anymore.

and what makes you think i searched thru your old posts?
    could it not be possible i saw/remembered it in a forum ive posted in? the post is only a couple of weeks old..

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »
    Suppose I'll just have to read the charters anymore.

or hope to become a mod some day so you dont have to!

and what makes you think i searched thru your old posts?
    could it not be possible i saw/remembered it in a forum ive posted in? the post is only a couple of weeks old..

if it's good enough to remember, maybe that's why it got thanked :)

lol, ok so I see what your point is. Because I made a post which included bad language and didn't get infracted, you infer from that that mods can break charters and get away with it. Pretty weak man :D

:cool:

Seriously though, I'd probably have to set up a new account (on a different ISP address of course.)
    lol, ok so I see what your point is. Because I made a post which included bad language and didn't get infracted, you infer from that that mods can break charters and get away with it. Pretty weak man :D
    Well it did happen!

if it's good enough to remember, maybe that's why it got thanked :)

because we only remember the good things, nobody remembers the holocaust...

nope. that was not my point, man.

k, I'm no good at guessing games so I'll leave it there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thank the heavens there's nothing seriously wrong in this world of ours which would be worth getting worked up about, so instead we can get worked up about minutiae like this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

K4t wrote: »
    Just got an infraction in the TV forum for typing "cnut". Come on now. Wtf? I don't have time to read every bloody forum charter. It's only a forum/ Can we not just have the same charter regarding swearing in every forum except for places like 'After Hours' and 'Thunderdome'. I didn't mean to cause any harm ffs or anything like that. I spelt it wrong on purpose!

?

If you can find the time to write over 1400 posts, then you can find the time to read a couple of charters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I think the above illustrates the problem.

I only read the bio+med one because I had to add something to it.

We all know no-one reads them. Just look at the number of views for them. But we still expect people to follow what's in them.

I always try and make a forum announcement on the rare occasion that we add something to the charter.

But I think there being a single sitewide policy on the basics like swearing has a lot of merit.

If you have strict site wide rules, you're removing moderators discretion and the ability to tailor rules to those that use that specific forum.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    If you have strict site wide rules, you're removing moderators discretion and the ability to tailor rules to those that use that specific forum.

theres already 'strict site wide rules'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

theres already 'strict site wide rules'.

They are actually few and far between and even those that exist, its often at the forum level where the moderator decides if you broke them

If you can find the time to write over 1400 posts, then you can find the time to read a couple of charters
    I agonise over every post like a poet does over every word. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think this has outlived it's point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement