Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine tasting club in Dublin

Options
  • 04-07-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi i'm looking for a wine tasting club to join in Dublin.
    I've looked up loads of websites but can't find any.
    I know Cheers off license run one in Palmerstown but they are off for the summer
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Deveney's in Dundrum was talking about starting one back in May. Don't think that's happened though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Even the Irish Wine Board can't fill its courses. It's closing from July 31st due to a collapse in student numbers. I guess wine tasting is seen as a luxury that people can easily cut back on during tough times.

You could always start up your own private group with one or two like-minded friends, supplemented with a one or two wine people harvested from message boards etc.

Jean Smullen has a wine diary on her website of upcoming events, most of which take place in Dublin. Some of these events are for trade / press only, but many are aimed at consumers. July is a quiet enough month, but usually you would certainly be able to go to something in the city every couple of weeks. See

http://www.jeansmullen.com/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=27

My own wine blog, linked below, also has an "Upcoming Events" section (ahem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

What do you mean the wine board is closing??? As in forever?? If this is true its because there courses were stupidly expensive and some of their teachers knew feck all...

For wine tasting you want a different region per month, it cost like a tenner and get regular numbers.. If I get my shop Ill definately be doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

i might be wrong here but i've a feeling the cake cafe on camden street does/did wine tastings on a monday evening.

i'm sure if you give them a quick call they will give you some more solid info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

FusionNet wrote: »
    What do you mean the wine board is closing??? As in forever?? If this is true its because there courses were stupidly expensive and some of their teachers knew feck all...

Yeah, it's closing from July 31st. See http://www.wineboard.ie/index.php . Notice here says only that they are ceasing their educational activities, but that's pretty much their business.

I'm doing the WSET Diploma through them and in an email it did actually say the word "closure"!

I must say, the quality of lecturer at Diploma level has been first class. Wine MBA people, vineyard consultants, MW people. Not sure who they have lecturing at the lower levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Beer Nut

My local off license runs ther own wine club in sweeney's in glasnevin they meet every second thursday. There are finished for the summer but the man who runs it, kevin also runs his own 9 week course for 280 euro. this is the link for it http://www.sweeneyswine.ie/wine_club.htm

I haven't done the course but the wine club is great.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

wine courses can be ok and can be a waste of money overall!

i did one a few years back,,,but to be honest, apart from some much needed knowledge about terroire etc i didnt learn much that i didnt know already, was embarressing being the only one to speak up and answer questions at it,...felt like a complete knowall/big head and that realy bugged me!,,,
    anyway the woman doing it was sound and veryy easy to talk to, but deffo i had learned almost as much at home, with books , oz clarke's cd rom and of course "practicle experience!" ;)

mind you a boards wine club could be fun couldnt it? ;)

happy sipping and guzzling amigos....Baggio.....

Advertisement