Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightning

• 04-07-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

With the recent thunderstorms around the Dublin area, I had an idea to take pictures of lightning when the storms return. Alas, I'm a total n00b:confused: Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

BTW Has anybody taken pictures of the lightning from the other day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Haven't photographed lightning myself but some users around here have done so (recently too) see post 321 in the random thread.

The theory is similar to successful fireworks photography - best results apparently using bulb mode, tripod, a remote shutter release, a lot of patience and many attempts. Beware not to overexpose and watch out for ambient lighting causing light pollution into your frame. Some people report better results with manual focus (set to infinity) but i've come across those that say they left the camera on auto everything and just got lucky. I think manual focus to infinity probably increase your chances of getting a great shot. Bulb mode will give you the capacity to expose the sensor for a non determined period of time which you base on what has happened but there will be a limit so trial and error will let you know what the ambient lighting will allow - this will differ too depending on if you are urban or rural.

Here are two resources you might find useful one on fireworks, and one on photographing lightning.

Oh yeah, and whilst doing so, holding an umbrella over your head and gear is a really bad idea :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Thanks a lot for that- and don't worry, I'll wear an anorak or whatever.. :rolleyes:

AnCatDubh pretty much covered it all,I got a bit of light pollution in my shot so make sure not to do what I did and leave the shutter open for 30 seconds when there's so much light nearby! As AnCatDubh says a shutter release is a must and experimenting with Bulb will give you the best results.For day time lightning another user mentioned a thing called a "Lightning Trigger" (http://www.lightningtrigger.com/) which could come in handy.I have no idea how expensive it would be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

they are 330 dollars

Advertisement