Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large sites down

Options
  • 04-07-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Recently(last week or two afair) I cannot access some sites early on in the day, and up until some time in the evening, approx 8pm.

At the moment, www.Ebay.com, www.Ebay.ie, Ubuntu.com, www.Launchpad.net www.WWTDD.com
    all are not working. I have two netbooks and one PC and the sites don't work on any of them. Plenty of other sites such as Google.com, gmail.com boards, mail.com etc all work fine.
    Have tried different browsers, Chrome, Firefox and IE8 and they still don't work.
    Vodafone at home is my ISP, I presume the problem is on their side, or maybe a router issue? I haven't changed any settings recently but even if I had, how come the sites work later in the evening? And these are big name sites, I'm sure the problem isn't on their end...

Tracerts
    Tracing route to hp-core.ebay.com [66.135.217.240]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 51 ms 35 ms 36 ms 89.19.64.130
    3 33 ms 33 ms 32 ms 89.19.64.201
    4 34 ms 67 ms 32 ms 89.19.64.177
    5 82 ms 82 ms 82 ms 85.205.16.177
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No problem connecting to http://www.ebay.com from Eircom.net with Firefox.

BTW my tracert to hp-core.ebay.com is also extremely slow (174ms) and times out after 12 hops but the website still works fine.

Try changing your DNS server, e.g to OpenDNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Lol

I spent over a day working on this problem at home a week ago. I nearly made my first "help!!!" post to the forum ever, when I figured out what was wrong.

I am going to assume that your DNS is set to 4.2.2.2. I'll assume you can't look at photobucket either, or for some strange reason you can see www.amd.com but not www.amd.com/support or whatever the support page address is.

I am also going to take a guess and say you're a customer of perlico or vodafone (same thing really). Well you say it above anyway:D

Go into your router and change your DNS to automatic (perlico/voda's DNS isn't that bad, that's what I ended up using) or manually put in 89.19.64.36 and 89.19.64.164. But manually adding the DNS didn't work for me, I had to set it to auto.

Also, using OpenDNS as the last poster says, should cure it, but OpenDNS seems to be a bit slower than the perlico/vodafone DNS servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's weird. i'm using the level3 dns servers myself and haven't had any problems browsing any sites and I'm on ebay.ie and ubuntu.com a lot. i'm using ntl cable though, so maybe it's something vodaphone specific?

that said, i did have problems with my ps3 connecting to the next when using level3 so i changed that manually to use the opendns servers, but it's fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any 3rd party DNS will slow web page complete rendering by 4x additional latency. Your own ISP's DNS will have the lowest latency.

Also a public DNS will have poorer response time and often be more easily poisoned.

I'd only use OpenDNS temporarily and normally use your router IP (cached) and your ISP DNS on the router for best security and speed. Ensure router is password protected with a non-default password to stop malicious web sites changing its DNS server IP for a "man -in - middle" attack. (Driveby DNS attack).

I'd love to know what DNS settings the OP currently has. He/She has the exact same problem as I had, and it was cured by changing it from 4.2.2.2 to perlico's own. Eircom DNS also cured it (for ebay at least) but it was outrageously slow.

Good to know that Level3 is working for other people at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 koolka

Lol

I spent over a day working on this problem at home a week ago. I nearly made my first "help!!!" post to the forum ever, when I figured out what was wrong.

I am going to assume that your DNS is set to 4.2.2.2. I'll assume you can't look at photobucket either, or for some strange reason you can see www.amd.com but not www.amd.com/support or whatever the support page address is.

I am also going to take a guess and say you're a customer of perlico or vodafone (same thing really). Well you say it above anyway:D

Go into your router and change your DNS to automatic (perlico/voda's DNS isn't that bad, that's what I ended up using) or manually put in 89.19.64.36 and 89.19.64.164. But manually adding the DNS didn't work for me, I had to set it to auto.

Also, using OpenDNS as the last poster says, should cure it, but OpenDNS seems to be a bit slower than the perlico/vodafone DNS servers.

haha, i had that exact same problem a few days ago. couldn't use ebay, photobucket, thomann.de and some other sites i cant remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Try using a proxy, seems to always work for me with issues like this.

www.hidemyass.com

oh ya, never thought of using a proxy. :) but all them sites are actually working for me at the moment... they just kinda stopped working on and off for the past few days... :confused:

Any proxy I used for ebay was terrible, as it wouldn't load all elements of the page (stuff like dropdown menus), so I ended up using dialup a couple of times instead. Yuck.

This is highly ironic. I'm getting the same Network Timeout error as before, for the www.hidemyass.com website! I do a tracert and I get identical results to the tracert already posted. It reaches 85.205.16.177 and then dies a horrible death. Is this website not working for anyone else?

Koolka, are you a vodafone/perlico customer, and what were your DNS settings?

When I was trying to get ebay.ie to work last weekend, I had no joy at any time of the day through Saturday evening and Sunday, and it only worked when I changed back to perlico.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It reaches 85.205.16.177 and then dies a horrible death. Is this website not working for anyone else?

That's a Vodafone IP, though they may not be allowing traceroutes for that network segment. www.hidemyass.com currently resolves to 206.251.77.82 for me. Stick that in a browser and see if it's accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 forpaddyde

Well silly me, a router reset did the trick, shortly after I posted my last message. Really don't know why I didn't think of that before posting :o

I mean ehhhh... I was just testing yis :rolleyes:

By the way, I tried proxy websites too and they didn't work at the time.

It resolves to the same address for me, when I check it with the ping or tracert command.

I tried the IP address anyway, and it did indeed spend a while trying to load before eventually giving a network timeout error.

I'll muck around with the DNS settings again, to see if I can further pinpoint the problem I had with ebay and others.

Btw, router resets didn't help me for some reason last week. I'll try it this time for the www.hidemyass.com problem.

ebay.ie and photobucket.com weren't working again, but a full switch off and back on of the router cured it. What changed was that the primary and secondary DNS servers were swapped, my default gateway was changed from 89.16.64.130 to 89.16.64.1 and my own IP address went from 93.107.207.x to 93.107.26.x. Separately, my SNR improved by a decent bit.

I hope this helps some other people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

watty wrote: »
    Any 3rd party DNS will slow web page complete rendering by 4x additional latency. Your own ISP's DNS will have the lowest latency.
    i stopped using ISP served DNS altogether a few years ago when there was that huge DNS fubar and pretty much every ISP's DNS went titsup and it took days to sort out.

i know technically speaking, if set up correctly an ISP's DNS *should* be faster than 3rd party DNS but imho it doesn't always work out that way and i have a lot less problems using level3 or opendns than i ever had when using my ISP's DNS servers.

not to mention that for a family or small business, a service like openDNS can offer many advantages over bog standard ISP served DNS with adult filters and logging and the like.

Any proxy I used for ebay was terrible, as it wouldn't load all elements of the page (stuff like dropdown menus), so I ended up using dialup a couple of times instead. Yuck.

This is highly ironic. I'm getting the same Network Timeout error as before, for the www.hidemyass.com website! I do a tracert and I get identical results to the tracert already posted. It reaches 85.205.16.177 and then dies a horrible death. Is this website not working for anyone else?

Koolka, are you a vodafone/perlico customer, and what were your DNS settings?

When I was trying to get ebay.ie to work last weekend, I had no joy at any time of the day through Saturday evening and Sunday, and it only worked when I changed back to perlico.

ya, im with perlico... i dont know the DNS settings, its set to "obtain DNS server address automatically" ... i'm using a router if that makes a difference ... :confused::)

All the websites have been working perfectly since yesterday though, and i never changed anything :)

If it happens again (this is NOT RELATED to the eircom customers problems with the internet over today) then turning the router off and then back on, should fix the problem. If it doesn't, then get on the phone to Perlico right away on 1912.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

watty wrote: »

Also a public DNS will have poorer response time and often be more easily poisoned.

I'd only use OpenDNS temporarily and normally use your router IP (cached) and your ISP DNS on the router for best security and speed. Ensure router is password protected with a non-default password to stop malicious web sites changing its DNS server IP for a "man -in - middle" attack. (Driveby DNS attack).

Everything being equal, you might be correct, however, DNS is often the last priority as far as an ISP is concerned, often relegated to an old no-name server in a dusty corner somewhere. By contrast, DNS is OpenDNSs raison d'etre, and as such can be relied upon to be of high quality.

Your claim of higher security for local (ISP) DNS is questionable also, for the same reasons. OpenDNS were among the first to patch their servers agains the Kamnisky flaw, whereas there are some Irish ISPs who even at this late stage demonstrably have not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

I am also a vodafone at home customer with the same issue, I resolved the problem by going into my routers management console and clicking disconnect then reconnect, the default gateway address changed from 89.19.64.130 to 89.19.64.2 and now I can connect to ebay, photobucket etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Had the same problem again tonite

Used OpenDNS as DNS servers and all is working fine now. Not really a fan of OpenDNS so hopefully it will be resolved soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

i reported the issue yesterday and just rang them to see if they had any info.
    i was told that it is affecting eircom customers as well and is being investigated.
    whatever is up, it has nothing to do with dns

• Advertisement

They probably heard that somewhere and assumed it was the same thing. I'm using perlico's DNS servers currently with no problems. The only real pattern I've seen is with the IP Gateway you're assigned on the perlico/vodafone network.

Also, could a mod add in a bit to the title, something along the lines of (for perlico and voda customers) please?
    Just to avoid confusion with the well documented eircom DNS incident, and also to get people who may be having this problem to post the details here.

rang again.
    perlico TS admit there is a problem but have no idea whats wrong or how long it will take to fix
    brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

xt40 wrote: »
    i reported the issue yesterday and just rang them to see if they had any info.
    i was told that it is affecting eircom customers as well and is being investigated.
    whatever is up, it has nothing to do with dns

It was definitely a DNS issue for me (on Vodafone at Home) - changing to OpenDNS solved all my issues.

Will try changing back later tonite - see if anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eircom DNS servers giving trouble with some customers today. The old indigo DNS 194.125.133.10/11.
    google.ie not working for instance.
    the old 159 adress working though.

This is NOT a thread about eircom issues!! Thanks for trying to help anyway.

its nothing to do with eircoms dns issues but we may possibly be indirect casualties of the eircom problem. perlico say that eircom are investigating the issue bet it may be on the long finger until they get their other stuff sorted out.

seems to be fixwd now

Advertisement