Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 a wooden box and shrubs and city strapped for cash.

Options
  • 04-07-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

€500 a flowerbox rental :eek:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/8031-gardai-trawl-cctv-track-vandals

Is it just me? Considering the quantity of them, I can't see the value at that price and would be interested to see if this was out for tender.

Yes I will call and ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I wasn't asked to tender for it, and certainly could have produced a much stronger version for a lot less money.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

They do brighten the place up but the first time I saw one the first thing I thought was "they're gonna be vandalised".

I've no idea whether €500 is good value for money. Maybe it is if the fee includes maintenance/watering/feeding and replacement in the case of such vandalism...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Maybe it is if the fee includes maintenance/watering/feeding and replacement in the case of such vandalism...

Not by paper quote.......

"At €500 a pot, Galway City Council will have to foot the bill for the vandalism as they have been rented from Maddens Nursery to spruce up the city for the Summer season."

Not that it's relevant in any way whatsoever, but is that ex-councillor Madden's nurseries?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's common practice and encouraged by both sides to overcharge councils and government for just about everything. Councilors will even tell you to do this or that to get more money out of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Indeed, it is the same former member of galway city council who has the contract for the flower/shrub pots and also the ones from Cemetery Cross to the Headford Road. The contact does include maintenence and replenishing but not vandalism but it is hard to see €500 in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I cant believe they cost 500 a go,thats unreal.I was only thinking the other day how cheap they looked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

€500 to rent each tub for the duration of the summer???

Could they not just have bought some??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

€500 to rent each tub for the duration of the summer???

Could they not just have bought some??:rolleyes:

The article says the boxes cost E-500 to replace.

We don't know what the boxes actually cost, or what the council is paying to rent them from Madden's for the summer. That amount may be more or less, depending on who's paying for the plants, watering 'em, etc, and how much use Madden's expect to get out of them in future.

But I've seen the spots where the pots and boxes are: If I was Bill Madden, I'd have priced the contract assuming a fairly high level of petty vandalism, and thus chance that I wouldn't be able to rent them out to anyone else in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

These are only in situ for summer 2009 and were paid for by Bord Fáilte for the Volvo. The council gets to keep them for the summer and they go back ( forever) in October .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You'd swear they were Ming Dynasty vases or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JustMary wrote: »
    The article says the boxes cost E-500 to replace.

We don't know what the boxes actually cost, or what the council is paying to rent them from Madden's for the summer. That amount may be more or less, depending on who's paying for the plants, watering 'em, etc, and how much use Madden's expect to get out of them in future.
    If the boxes included the plants and the upkeep of the plants for the summer the price may be a little bit more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

besides the point about how much these things cost, isnt it bothering anyone else that people drinking on the spanish arch is gonna be blamed? Its just another step in the direction of a ban on drink at the spanish arch. Pity too, its only take 1 or 2 twats to ruin things for everyone else. Sure look what GAAW did :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fracture wrote: »
    besides the point about how much these things cost, isnt it bothering anyone else that people drinking on the spanish arch is gonna be blamed? Its just another step in the direction of a ban on drink at the spanish arch. Pity too, its only take 1 or 2 twats to ruin things for everyone else. Sure look what GAAW did :P

Ahh, isn't there already a ban on drinking in public in this country?

And no, it doesn't bother me that people drinking there are going to be blamed. Either they did it, or they were there and didn't do anything about it when someone else did it! And the CCTV's gonna tell anyway.

Advertisement