Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process Oriented / Bodywork

• 04-07-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Process Oriented / Bodywork
    Just wondering could anyone explain what these terms mean in relation to counselling.
    Helping a friend look for a suitable counsellor at the moment, have come across these terms listed in relation to the approach the counsellor takes and don't understand them.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I wouldn't be a fan of either however here a link on process oriented stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Oriented_Psychology

In relation to the body-work I'm not sure but I remember one co-worker use to do some stuff around the notion of trauma being held within the body. As I said I'm not a fan so I didn't pay too much attention but remember her comment on a few clients "holding alot of trauma" in the bodies.

If I was looking for a therapist one of the first things I would be looking at is what qualifications they hold, and membership of professional bodies. As well as what their orientation is. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Thanks for that Odysseus.
    I believe my friend to be quite depressed, very stuck in the rut of an emotionally abusive marriage, very lacking in self esteem and finding it very difficult to move forward.
    I'm wondering what approach would suit her, I think she'd run a mile from anything too strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This explains bodywork, but personally I'd be looking for some evidence; it certainly isn't mainstream psychology.

This might help.

Irish Council for Psychotherapy

But she's probably better off going through her local mental health services because they have so many resources - psychiatrist, psychologist, psychotherapists, counsellors, social workers, nurses; day centres, day hospitals, group work, one-to-one work, etc etc. There's a huge variety of psychotherapy/counselling available in the mental health services and it's all free of charge. She'll probably need a GP referral to start.

I not having a go Julius, and I'm going off topic. However, that link about the ICP really annoys me, its opening line suggests that they are the only organisation for psychotherapists in Ireland.

It seems that the ICP and IACP seem to think that they have ownership of the term psychotherapist. Maybe that can be put down to the said organisations being very good at PR, but there must be at least 20+ organisations out there for psychotherapists.

Don't get me wrong I'm a member of two professional bodies myself and think that they are important, however, when I read stuff like this:

"Welcome to the website of the Irish Council for Psychotherapy, the professional organisation which represents psychotherapists in Ireland.

The Irish Council for Psychotherapy represents over 1,040 psychotherapists in Ireland, who practise in a number of different sub disciplines."

It just gets me going, but that me just having a bit of a rant, and as I said above it wasn't aimed at yourself, it just a personal bear-bug of mine. Yes they may act as a link for those seeking a profession service, but they are only a link for their members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Oh you're just bitter because APPI are such an isolationist bunch, nobody will play with the poor Lacanians ;) And to be fair if I weren't something of a Lacanian myself I would probably have as much trouble with the obscurantistic vernacular of you lot as I do with some of the nutjob alternative therapies.

As for the OP I would add that the issues you mention your friend having don't sound like they would be best worked through with bodywork like that. If she wouldn't like anything too strong then a good client centred therapist might be the trick. There are plenty of psychotherapy and counselling centres to choose from, a little googling will help, was doing it myself yesterday as I need to undergo therapy as a part of my psychotherapy training.

• Advertisement

hotspur wrote: »
    Oh you're just bitter because APPI are such an isolationist bunch, nobody will play with the poor Lacanians ;) And to be fair if I weren't something of a Lacanian myself I would probably have as much trouble with the obscurantistic vernacular of you lot as I do with some of the nutjob alternative therapies.

As for the OP I would add that the issues you mention your friend having don't sound like they would be best worked through with bodywork like that. If she wouldn't like anything too strong then a good client centred therapist might be the trick. There are plenty of psychotherapy and counselling centres to choose from, a little googling will help, was doing it myself yesterday as I need to undergo therapy as a part of my psychotherapy training.

I think that might be the best thing for the OPs friend, good call.

However, for yourself why not try a good psychoanalytic therapist, experience the real thing in action, gives you the best understanding of Lacan;)

Odysseus wrote: »
    However, for yourself why not try a good psychoanalytic therapist, experience the real thing in action, gives you the best understanding of Lacan;)

Although I very much enjoy psychoanalysis and am very happy that I had Rik Loose (whom I suspect you probably know from your own training) as a tutor for my addiction masters I have doubts about both some fundamental tenets of it and the efficacy of it.

As for the latter it is not based on personal experience, and given the nature of the clinic of psychoanalysis it doesn't lend itself well to simple outcome studies such as with CBT. Also, and I am open to correction about this, I suspect most psychoanalysts are not very integrative in their approaches in respect of other modalities.

At least with a good experienced integrative therapist they can use their experience and judgement to be flexible in the tools they use and choose the most appropriate modality at a given time in the therapy. Would I be right in saying that most psychoanalysts are going to stick to a toolkit from psychoanalysis irrespective of previous training in other modalities?

I'm sure I would enjoy undergoing psychoanalysis, but given that I have decided not to train in that modality for the time being (and I did chat to Hugh Arthurs about doing his new psychoanalytic psychotherapy in Independent Colleges) it probably makes more sense for me to undergo therapy in the modality in which I'm studying which is a combination of client centred and reality therapy.

Mind you, there's nothing to stop me from experiencing both, apart from the cost. Paying for both my psychotherapy and clinical hypnotherapy training has me low on therapy allocated funds right now, do you know any desperate low charging / work-for-food Lacanian analysts? :)

hotspur wrote: »
    Although I very much enjoy psychoanalysis and am very happy that I had Rik Loose (whom I suspect you probably know from your own training) as a tutor for my addiction masters I have doubts about both some fundamental tenets of it and the efficacy of it.

As for the latter it is not based on personal experience, and given the nature of the clinic of psychoanalysis it doesn't lend itself well to simple outcome studies such as with CBT. Also, and I am open to correction about this, I suspect most psychoanalysts are not very integrative in their approaches in respect of other modalities.

At least with a good experienced integrative therapist they can use their experience and judgement to be flexible in the tools they use and choose the most appropriate modality at a given time in the therapy. Would I be right in saying that most psychoanalysts are going to stick to a toolkit from psychoanalysis irrespective of previous training in other modalities?

I'm sure I would enjoy undergoing psychoanalysis, but given that I have decided not to train in that modality for the time being (and I did chat to Hugh Arthurs about doing his new psychoanalytic psychotherapy in Independent Colleges) it probably makes more sense for me to undergo therapy in the modality in which I'm studying which is a combination of client centred and reality therapy.

Mind you, there's nothing to stop me from experiencing both, apart from the cost. Paying for both my psychotherapy and clinical hypnotherapy training has me low on therapy allocated funds right now, do you know any desperate low charging / work-for-food Lacanian analysts? :)

I'm going way off topic here, but I think we asked the OPs questions as much as possible, so hopefully the mods won't mind.

Yeah I did my BA in Psychoanalytic Studies and Rik was my supervisor for my research MA, as well as my clinical supervisor for a while.[God that was in 2002, apart from making me feel old, I need to get back on the academic side of things, I was hoping to do a HDip this year, but there is no funding available in my section of the HSE at the moment. The even want us to use our own time to train:mad:] I know him quite well and would consider him one of the most experienced therapists around addiction in this country.

You right about the integrative aspect, however, most of those work in private settings and would have great difficult having to work within a team. I very weary about the term integrative, however, I work with other therapists who clinically work very different to me, and I have no problems with that.

I have trained in various modalities over the years, MI, CBT [That was a CBCS course from Leeds uni], reality therapy, Brief interventions, breveavement therapy, I'm also critical incident trained. That's just to name a few, however, I wouldn't consider myself to be a CBT therapist or reality therapist just because I done some training in it. I just add these to show I'm not a Freud or Lacan fundamentalist. I hate to see that wether its with psychoanalysis or CBT.

If you go to see a psychoanalyst that's what your going to get, my training included 5 years therapy, 3 of that was 2 aweek. However, some of us work in different settings, my work is very psychoanalytically inclined, but I work with addicts, some in chaotic active addiction, in most cases it is difficult to work at that level, so I have to use other interventions. Psychoanalysis can be view as very cold and clinical, and in most cases addicts have a very week ego, so this can cause a negative transference quite quickly. Also I may be working with family members analysis is not indicated there.

I also do a bit of teaching mostly around dual diagnosis and addiction related stuff, my interest in psychoanalysis certainly shows during my lecture, but their not psychoanalytic if you get my point.

Whereas with other patient my work is far more analytic, however, I ask all clients to free associate at the beginning of there sessions.

The course in The Independent College looks good from what I have seen of it, I was teaching there during the year on an other course and I was impressed at the set up.

As I write this one or two analytically trained theraist come to mind who may have an approach that you are seeking if your interested pm and I see if that are in a position to take on new clients. Anyway whatever you go, enjoy the process and best of luck with it.

Thanks for that, I'll let you know if I decide to go down that route.

Advertisement