Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Much is the GTI lowered?

• 04-07-2009 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi... Anyone Know how much a MK4 Golf GTI is lowered in comparison with a 1.6 Highline? Just got a 1.6 and the only diff looks wise between it and a GT appears to be the Height. So gonna get her dropped. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I wouldnt lower a Golf if I were you. They are low enough buggers as they are and you will often bottom out on some of the Irish roads as it currently stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't see the point to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The Golf I had previous to my current was lowered and it bottom out less that my current which id a factory lowered as its a 150tdi but appears to be fairly softly sprung.

Used H&R lowering kit and it was a high quality job. Didnt turn it into a bouncy yoke like some of the cheaper kits can do.

I believe if you lower them too much the ARB links start rubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't see the point to be honest.

I would say the point is that he can't afford or get insurance on a golf GTI... so buys the 1.6highline and wants to make it look like a GTI...
    to make himself look cool :rolleyes::rolleyes: even though the only people who would give a rats ass would be people who would know its not a proper GTI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Wouldn't this thread be more suited to the Modified Cars forum? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guys, he is sprucing up a standard golf, so what if its not a GTi, as long as he doesnt put GTi badges on it then its fine in my books!

i seen an A4 yesterday, full RS kit, but still had the 1.9 TDI badges on it, NO RS badges at all and i was like fair play, least he is not trying to make out its an RS4........hopefully he wasnt on his way to the VW garage to pick up some RS4 badges :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

robtri wrote: »
    I would say the point is that he can't afford or get insurance on a golf GTI... so buys the 1.6highline and wants to make it look like a GTI...
    to make himself look cool :rolleyes::rolleyes: even though the only people who would give a rats ass would be people who would know its not a proper GTI...

Or maybe for the car to look nice? The Highline Golf looks almost the same as the GTI with a few small exceptions, and lowering a car is a very common thing to do so I don't see any problem with it? :confused::confused::rolleyes:

Anywho, mine is lowered 70mm on coilovers and with the exception of one piece of road, it's hasn't been a bother yet.

I think Mk4 Gti's are lowered about 35-40mm.

I have pics of mine standard, lowered 40 mm and lowered 70mm. I'll stick them up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I think the standard GTi only sits around 20-30mm lower? Lowering the MkIV can make the car look and handle better (so long as you don't just cut the springs)....but prepare to have the sh!te shook out of you on Irish roads, especially if you fit 18" wheels.
    Coilovers with adjustable damping would be the best option...though go for a quality kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rocher

The Idea isnt to pretend it's a GTi... Never was. I just like the look of the GTi Itself and although the 1.6 is a very nice car I'd love to have it look more like a GTi. I'm not a huge fan of heavily modified cars or massive bodykits and would much prefer to keep it subtle. I saw a GTi recently and the ride height looked right so just said I'd ask. Sorry If I have this in the wrong forum BTW. Only a newbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Dont worry about it OP.

Welcome to Boards... ya gotta separate the bitchyness from the genuine replies sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rocher

Sound Slidey thanks. Like life in general then So:) I got a few useful responses in there so I'll be lookin into that one a bit more.

Advertisement