Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting house and advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

upthedub wrote: »
    What if they fix the bits because they are *****ing it what should i do then??

Em. Thats entirely up to you.

I would consider using this as an out now though. You dont dont want to be stuck somewhere with an unresponsive landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Agent J wrote: »
    Em. Thats entirely up to you.

I would consider using this as an out now though. You dont dont want to be stuck somewhere with an unresponsive landlord.

Tbh alot of things have being fixed since the last 2 weeks but couldnt believe how ignorant they were when we rang...espically when they said we were STUCK here.

Honestly just want to get out of here now....

Rang the agent today and he said the house is registered and there is a back log in the prtb or something..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Where's the BER? don't let the agent or the landlord off the hook.

If the property did not have a BER cert at the time of letting they have both comitted a criminal offence.

Agent rang me...He said that it will take up to 6 months to get the ptrb form up on there system or "for ptrb to have it on theres"....

Also they do NOT have a ber cert but he said he can have a person come out in 2-3 weeks to look at the house or something...

Any advice???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Agent rang me...He said that it will take up to 6 months to get the ptrb form up on there system or "for ptrb to have it on theres"....

Also they do NOT have a ber cert but he said he can have a person come out in 2-3 weeks to look at the house or something...

Any advice???

well they as a company as well as the landlord have broken the law renting a house without a BER cert.

Simply put if you want to get out this is your out. If your happy to stay well then no worries.

D3PO wrote: »
    well they as a company as well as the landlord have broken the law renting a house without a BER cert.

Simply put if you want to get out this is your out. If your happy to stay well then no worries.
    We do want to get out but he has out deposit etc.He even taught it was no big deal on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Any advice???

Bull sh!t.

BEsides you can just ask the PRTB themselves. Landlord has to have it registered within a month of the start of tenancy

Agent J wrote: »
    Bull sh!t.

BEsides you can just ask the PRTB themselves. Landlord has to have it registered within a month of the start of tenancy
    Yes i told him that.He said "well im getting it done"...

We do want to get out but he has out deposit etc.He even taught it was no big deal on the phone.

i dont see why him having your deposit is an issue ? are you trying to say even if you point out he has broken the law and your going to pursue it unless there is a cessation of the tennancy that hes going to try and hold onto your deposit ?

I very much doubt anybody would be that stupid.

• Advertisement

i dont see why him having your deposit is an issue ? are you trying to say even if you point out he has broken the law and your going to pursue it unless there is a cessation of the tennancy that hes going to try and hold onto your deposit ?

I very much doubt anybody would be that stupid.
    Well i knew the minute we had our first maintenance issue that the agent was a a*sehole and ignorant etc and that was within the first week of moving in.Also according to the agent we cannot move out because we are in contract.

If i could i would move out today but i also cannot afford to lose my deposit.

Do i have a way of moving out and getting my deposit back?

Do i have a way of moving out and getting my deposit back?

you were told yes. Tell the agent your moving out and expect your deposit back. tell the agent that if this is not done you will report the fact they have broken the law by renting out without a BER certificate.

Remind them this comes with a €5,000 fine and possible imprisionment of up to 3 months. (second part is unlikely) but the first part will happen.

I rang him and he said you cannot move out:eek:that "we" as in them are getting it done next week..

I rang him and he said you cannot move out:eek:that "we" as in them are getting it done next week..

ring them back and tell them that it doesnt stop the fact they have broken the law and you will be reporting it to SEI. The law has been broken you have serious leverage here.

better still get a friend to call them presenting himself as your legal representative and get him/her to sort it out.

ring them back and tell them that it doesnt stop the fact they have broken the law and you will be reporting it to SEI. The law has been broken you have serious leverage here.

better still get a friend to call them presenting himself as your legal representative and get him/her to sort it out.
    SEI???

But because they applied for it 3 weeks after im there would it still be that easy to get out??

What is the best thing to say if i ring him NOW??

SEI???

But because they applied for it 3 weeks after im there would it still be that easy to get out??

What is the best thing to say if i ring him NOW??

unlike PRTB registration which can be done retrospectively and penalty can be avoided by doing so. Its illegal to do this in terms of BER certification.

Tell him that the choice is to return your deposit or you will be calling the SEI to report the legal breach and also the IAVI where you will be attempting to have them struck off as registered estate agents.

unlike PRTB registration which can be done retrospectively and penalty can be avoided by doing so. Its illegal to do this in terms of BER certification.

Tell him that the choice is to return your deposit or you will be calling the SEI to report the legal breach and also the IAVI where you will be attempting to have them struck off as registered estate agents.
    Whats the names for sei??
    iavi??

Whats the names for sei??
    iavi??

SEI - Sustainable Energy Ireland

IAVI - Irish Auctioneers and Valuers Institute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) do not enforce BER. The appropriate person to contact is the Buildings Control Office of the Local Authority in which the house is situated. ie Dublin City Council, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, South Dublin County Council etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

They are seriously messing. You can register with the PRTB on line in a few seconds - there is even a facility for tenants registering the address themselves. Without the PRTB and BER it is you who has them over a barrell. Draft two letters one reporting them to PRTB and one reporting them for the BER, tell them you are posting them in 24 hours unless they return your deposit. TAKE PHOTOS OF THE PLACE.

So lets make it clear...

When i moved in the prtb was not informed nor was the house ber but last friday the letting agent said they were doing it asap.

Now i moved in 21st june so would i still be entitled to the deposit even if they are acting on it??

If yes what exactly should i do ??because people here are saying all different things.

Any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

So lets make it clear...

When i moved in the prtb was not informed nor was the house ber but last friday the letting agent said they were doing it asap.

Now i moved in 21st june so would i still be entitled to the deposit even if they are acting on it??

If yes what exactly should i do ??because people here are saying all different things.

I think mostly people are saying the same things. I suggest rereading the answer as you are probably under pressure and maybe not taking it in. I appreciate you are in a difficult situation.
    They have not registered the property, and not got a ber cert. That is illegal.
    They have not done the things they promised to do. I would not want to be stuck there.
    I would leave asap and demand the deposit back, threatening to report them to the PRTB and Ber and revenue or stick it out a month and don't pay the last months rent. They really sound like a bunch of messers.
    Best of luck.

yep I dont advocate the sticking it out for a month and dont pay rent thing, but I had to say in your situation I would probably consider it :eek::eek:

If we did not pay the rent though surely we would be in breach and the agent etc would get us in some sort of trouble??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If we did not pay the rent though surely we would be in breach and the agent etc would get us in some sort of trouble??

You are correct! Despite what the landlord has done, if you withold the rent, you could be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Forgot about your problem (work pressure). How'd you get on??

I see alot of people giving advice who have never been in your situation and, while it sounds great technically, in reality the only answer that works is the one I gave you. (as in I was in your situation once and I spent long enough banging my head - nicely - against a brick wall to know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

You are correct! Despite what the landlord has done, if you withold the rent, you could be in trouble.
    No offence but that is a load of rubbish. If you have reason to believe your landlord is trying to mess you around, noone in reality will tell force you to accept it.

You know what they say: "Sheep get sh@gged!!":P

• Advertisement

Boggle wrote: »
    Forgot about your problem (work pressure). How'd you get on??

I see alot of people giving advice who have never been in your situation and, while it sounds great technically, in reality the only answer that works is the one I gave you. (as in I was in your situation once and I spent long enough banging my head - nicely - against a brick wall to know)
    Sorry what do you think i should do as i have being told all differnet things here.

I checked the ber website and i rang them and there is NO ber cert for the house so i have to contact the county council.

Advertisement