Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting house and advice

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

The BER is a bit of a red herring so far - but its a useful one. Fact is its so new and the times are so bad that noone has one. He's not going to be prosecuted but he may not know that.

Like I said, write a letter outlining your position and stating exactly what you intend on doing. Tell him that as per the verbal agreement you want whatever fixed and that due to his apparent intent on reneging on the agreement ou will be witholding the rent until the situation is finalised. Also inform him that if its not done within a specific timeframe that you will be moving out and that this witheld rent will be confiscated in lieu of the deposit.
    No matter what you do, be reasonable and do it in writing - including having the rent ready for if the repairs are done.

They will threaten blue murder but if it goes to threshold or whoever you will be able to demonstrate that you have acted reasonably. You will also be able to claim that your witholding rent was justified because you cannot trust the landlord.
    You can also inform the landlord that he is liable for not having a BER cert and that you want one in the letter. Also inform him (verbally only) that if he pushes it you'll do what you can to hurt him including contacting revenue prtb and SEI about the BER.

Be reasonable but solid. Remember he cannot come near you even if you never pay rent unless he gets a court order and remind him of that. Also remind him you will go straight to the police if he ever approaches the house uninvited.
    My experience is that being nice gets you nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Boggle wrote: »
    The BER is a bit of a red herring so far - but its a useful one. Fact is its so new and the times are so bad that noone has one. He's not going to be prosecuted but he may not know that.

Like I said, write a letter outlining your position and stating exactly what you intend on doing. Tell him that as per the verbal agreement you want whatever fixed and that due to his apparent intent on reneging on the agreement ou will be witholding the rent until the situation is finalised. Also inform him that if its not done within a specific timeframe that you will be moving out and that this witheld rent will be confiscated in lieu of the deposit.
    No matter what you do, be reasonable and do it in writing - including having the rent ready for if the repairs are done.

They will threaten blue murder but if it goes to threshold or whoever you will be able to demonstrate that you have acted reasonably. You will also be able to claim that your witholding rent was justified because you cannot trust the landlord.
    You can also inform the landlord that he is liable for not having a BER cert and that you want one in the letter. Also inform him (verbally only) that if he pushes it you'll do what you can to hurt him including contacting revenue prtb and SEI about the BER.

Be reasonable but solid. Remember he cannot come near you even if you never pay rent unless he gets a court order and remind him of that. Also remind him you will go straight to the police if he ever approaches the house uninvited.
    My experience is that being nice gets you nowhere.
    This in wrong information.I spoke to the sei today about the BER and they said it is NOT illegal for him not to have a ber cert.But i ask for one before i move in then he has to get one but not after i move in so basically nothing can be done regarding this !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

According to the person I spoke with in Threshold (Galway office) on Monday, if repairs aren't undertaken within a reasonable period of time (can be as minor as weeding the backgarden, as that was one of our issues) you are entitled to give notice to leave.

It was the missus who was so eager to get into this house but now we are even struggling to pay also although rent has being paid on time so far.And it is a fixed term 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

This in wrong information.I spoke to the sei today about the BER and they said it is NOT illegal for him not to have a ber cert.But i ask for one before i move in then he has to get one but not after i move in so basically nothing can be done regarding this !
    http://www.sei.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_FAQ/FAQ_BER/General/BER_what_is_it_.html

• Advertisement

Boggle wrote: »
    Also was on to the prtb today and they said he has 1 month after i move in to register me there and if not he will just have to pay a late fee.

Ive moved out last week after having enough of the carry on in this house.The agency ring my character reference saying i was threatening him etc etc:eek:
    The problem is i realised that i left the childs medicine and stuff in the attic that i REALLY need.The agency said he is not giving them to me as i moved out and he basically told me to fu*k off...I told him i really need them and he does not want to no.
    Any ideas what i can do??:confused:

Advertisement