Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on this car? (BMW 318)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Way over priced, worth about half that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Way over priced, worth about half that!
    Completly UNTRUE ! !

That is a good price man,try and find out if it has bmwsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get me a 01 3 series from a main dealer for 3500 please quall. cash waiting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

When you do get to drive it make sure and try a 320/325/330 afterward, you'll be amazed at how much better a 6-cylinder model will feel, much better car.

Maybe I went overboard, but its not worth 7k! Its just a standard 3 series with a thirsty and boring 1.8! Go back through the threads and you will see people getting proper beemers for that money! Worth 3.5k max and not a penny more imo.

This is even not that great a beemer lol

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200926194408180

Look hard and you will get alot for your money op!

• Advertisement

front fogs seem to have water in them?

also it's an SE model, so it's not the standard one.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    front fogs seem to have water in them?

also it's an SE model, so it's not the standard one.

Would you buy it for 6k? ( thats the best those tight ****ers will give it to you for )

I wouldn't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

personaly i wouldn't buy a beemer without a bmwsh,leather interior and
    it would have to be a diesel...
    but if you get it, good luck with it....:)

318i not my thing, but to put it into perspective, I could get 5k for a decent 01 Avensis, no problem.

another 1k for a BMW from a main dealer wouldn't be too bad if the car was straight.

No risk, no fun:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That steering wheel looks a bit worn to me for the mileage.

no-image-large.gif

The spec is pretty higher than your normal typical Irish 318i though. Possible ex UK car?

benj wrote: »
    personaly i wouldn't buy a beemer without a bmwsh,leather interior and
    it would have to be a diesel...
    but if you get it, good luck with it....:)

Diesel :eek:

Why you buy a diesel beemer, when they have the best petrols around!

Only one I would buy would have a big M on the back, otherwise whats the point:pac:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=119422&cat=2

OP, if your willing to travel and have the car inspected then this could be worth a look:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200924193087889

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I went up today for another look. There is nothing in the foglights thankfully. There are 2 tiny little dents in the passenger door on driver side but not very noticeable. The only other thing i could spot was a tiny bit of rust just under the front grill, about half a cm in diameter. Going to go up tomorrow to take her for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

If you have that much to spend I'd *strongly* urge you to try driving the 320 / 320D - both are a far far far superior engine, and won't cost much more each year to tax and insure. Chances are you'll make the saving back in MPG if you do decent mileage.
    Other than that it looks fairly clean, but for that price I'd expect more. Only a month ago, for almost €500 *less* I got a 2002 325ci (coupe), with only 59k fbmwsh miles. Makes this look a little overpriced - maybe the warranty is worth a few €€€ to you, I'd offer him 5k, maybe a little more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

While the 320i is a super engine it will prove a lot more thirsty, and a 320D of this age introduces it's own set of problems which can be costly and are well documented. The 318i is a bit of a dullard but not as bad as people would have you believe. That has the whiff of a UK car to me, so I would be looking at it's history very closely.

What should i be looking for if its an english import?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

While the 320i is a super engine it will prove a lot more thirsty, and a 320D of this age introduces it's own set of problems which can be costly and are well documented. The 318i is a bit of a dullard but not as bad as people would have you believe. That has the whiff of a UK car to me, so I would be looking at it's history very closely.

I have owned both a 318 and 320 and noticed no real change in the MPG - getting 33 or so in the 318 and 31 in the 320.

X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

History
    Correct milaege
    HPI report

Also, check out a 320, 325 after you see this one, you will regret choosing the 4cylinder over a 6 cylinder.

quarryman wrote: »
    History
    Correct milaege
    HPI report

Also, check out a 320, 325 after you see this one, you will regret choosing the 4cylinder over a 6 cylinder.

Ok cheers.

Im changing from a 1.4 Golf so i think ill be happy with the 318.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

BMWs are Horrible, dreadful, overpriced, common as muck and EXPENSIVE to service

Buy a real car like a Volvo. You'll get a cracking S40 for that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

bush Baby wrote: »
    BMWs are Horrible, dreadful, overpriced, common as muck and EXPENSIVE to service

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Melion wrote: »
    Im changing from a 1.4 Golf so i think ill be happy with the 318.

You will.

If it is a UK car rust is the big thing to look out for. Check underside carefully, corroded fuel lines are common. They can also be a pig to work on as all the bolts can seize up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

:rolleyes:

Any S40 for 5-6k way ain't going to be a patch on the BMW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can you post some examples?

I don't think Volvos are known for cheap servicing or parts either by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hahahaha :)

You didn't know a Volvo S40 is a Ford Focus in different clothes then, did you? :p

unkel wrote: »
    You didn't know a Volvo S40 is a Ford Focus in different clothes then, did you? :p

For that money all you're getting is a Mitsubishi Carisma:D

EPM wrote: »

Ah, the dreamers on carzone.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

bazz26 wrote: »
    That steering wheel looks a bit worn to me for the mileage.

no-image-large.gif

The spec is pretty higher than your normal typical Irish 318i though. Possible ex UK car?

No probs you can get a newer one :D
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=124833

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

But hey seriously this car is not even worth 5k...

go on cartell.ie type in the english reg and for 35euro it will tell you if it had a dodgy past etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i love beemers and have had 7 in the past i will say the price isnt that bad not great but not bad ,but the 318i is slow and boring and would be thirstier than a 6 cyliner 320i , but having owned both diesel and petrol bmw's a 320D is a much better option to a 320i and i dont want people slagging me for saying that its a fact, i have owned both and their is no comparison the torque from the diesel makes up for the slightly less bhp but if you can i would advise try and get a post face lift 320d it has 150bhp the preface lift has only 136 bhp , but i will agree the other 6 cylinder petrols are far superior the 325i and especially 330i are a howl and not that bad on fuel i had a 330i and got 31mpg and i drove it hard :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

davy_b wrote: »
    i would advise try and get a post face lift 320d it has 150bhp the preface lift has only 136 bhp

Worth mentioning that the post facelift (September 2001+) cars suffer from turbo failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

technically not true that was a fault with the turbo, they changed it in september 2003 there was no trouble after that and turbo failure before that wasnt that common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

colm_mcm wrote: »
    318i not my thing, but to put it into perspective, I could get 5k for a decent 01 Avensis, no problem.

another 1k for a BMW from a main dealer wouldn't be too bad if the car was straight.

My brother cant get 7k for his 2004 Avensis so if you can get 5 for an 01 "no problem" you must be quite the sales man.
    Hahahaha :)

For a lad here who seems to know a lot, you seem to get carried away with this parts sharing business more than anyone Unkel. The S40 and the focus couldnt be more different to drive. They share a basic platform, which according to everything ive ever read about the focus is a good thing, but the ride is completely different. Are you also trying to say that the Volvo doesnt look/feel significantly more expensive, better looking and better made than the Focus?

As for the old one being a Carisma...i suggest you read up about it and you will see that by the end of its life that s40 had basically no significant parts shared with the carisma. Again drive both cars and you will see absolutely no similarity in the ride, handling, comfort or looks.

Both are ridiculous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Diesel :eek:

Why you buy a diesel beemer, when they have the best petrols around!

Only one I would buy would have a big M on the back, otherwise whats the point:pac:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=119422&cat=2

Tax will be dearer on the big petrol. Better fuel consumption. A fantastic engine. 0-60 in under 8 seconds! Thats what the diesel has over the 318.

Though i have to agree with a previous poster. The 3 series are now as common as muck, they have lost all their exclusivity they once had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Get a mondeo - cheaper, bigger, faster.

samsemtex wrote: »
    For a lad here who seems to know a lot, you seem to get carried away with this parts sharing business more than anyone Unkel. The S40 and the focus couldnt be more different to drive. They share a basic platform, which according to everything ive ever read about the focus is a good thing, but the ride is completely different. Are you also trying to say that the Volvo doesnt look/feel significantly more expensive, better looking and better made than the Focus?

As for the old one being a Carisma...i suggest you read up about it and you will see that by the end of its life that s40 had basically no significant parts shared with the carisma. Again drive both cars and you will see absolutely no similarity in the ride, handling, comfort or looks.

Both are ridiculous posts.

Haven driven both of the NedCar variants very recently (a 00 Carisma as a courtesy car and my buddy's 00 S40) I tend to disagree.

Both share a very similar feel, vague lifeless steering, similar gearchange, some interior trims and very similar ride quality. The Volvo has the edge on comfort hands down due to better quality seats and a better spec. It also looks better but thats just different sheet metal.

Have a look here for more info

Haven driven both of the NedCar variants very recently (a 00 Carisma as a courtesy car and my buddy's 00 S40) I tend to disagree.

Both share a very similar feel, vague lifeless steering, similar gearchange, some interior trims and very similar ride quality. The Volvo has the edge on comfort hands down due to better quality seats and a better spec. It also looks better but thats just different sheet metal.

Have a look here for more info

Yes but they were pre 01 models. The s40 received a very substantial update in 2001 and they heavily updated the suspension and widened the track.

From a Volvo website:
    The 1995 Volvo S40 sedan and V40 wagon were built in the Netherlands at the NedCar factory, a pre-Ford joint venture between Volvo and Mitsubishi Motors. It was based on common platform with Mitsubishi Carisma but did not sell as well. Despite the shared platform, they were not the same car: of the 5,000 parts on the cars, 4,000 were unique to each. Of the remainder, 650 were produced by Volvo and 350 by Mitsubishi. Volvo's traditional emphasis for safety and ergonomics were thus easily identifiable in these models too.

The updated version shared even less of these parts. For the money the OP was talking you would easily get a 2003/04 sport model with very high spec. http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S40/122BHP-S/200927194507562/advert?channel=CARS

Yes but they were pre 01 models. The s40 received a very substantial update in 2001 and they heavily updated the suspension and widened the track.

From a Volvo website:

The updated version shared even less of these parts. For the money the OP was talking you would easily get a 2003/04 sport model with very high spec. http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S40/122BHP-S/200927194507562/advert?channel=CARS

But is this not the usual blurb around any model facelift? A part may be something like a light switch. The basics were still the same, suspension mods of the facelift can be the same as the difference between say a Golf and Octavia. Same could be said of the shared parts. I know some engines were unique to the Volvo but the basic cars were the same, hence the decision to build them side by side.

While my original comment may have been in jest there are substantial similarities between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

One more thing about the S40 chaps and I do hate to bleat on about it but...... you don't get many Charismas or Focus's with a trouble-free 208,000 miles on the clock like my Volvo S40 has.

Oh and I wouldn't dream of buying a car in Ireland. Buy in the UK pay the duty and you'll easily save a few grand

One more thing about the S40 chaps and I do hate to bleat on about it but...... you don't get many Charismas or Focus's with a trouble-free 208,000 miles on the clock like my Volvo S40 has.

Oh and I wouldn't dream of buying a car in Ireland. Buy in the UK pay the duty and you'll easily save a few grand

One thing to be said in fairness. 2 Friends have them, one petrol (1.8 i think) on 140k and a diesel on 175k (and that with a renault engine:p)

No need to get defensive, samsemtex ;)

Of course the S40 looks / feels substantially better, more expensive, better equipped, more luxurious and more upmarket than its brother / sister. And the current Focus has excellent driving dynamics, so the S40 could do a lot worse than to use this platform.

Let's say I'm not a great fan of marketing tactics separating very similar (on the inside) platform sharing cars into completely different propositions, making us all believe in fairy tales. Ford's marketeers even make us think the S40 is physically bigger and have it compete in the D-segment :eek:

And I know, I know, that's what marketing is all about. They did a great job with the S40 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

You should look at a Lexus IS200, better kit for the same price of the BMW,

One thing to be said in fairness. 2 Friends have them, one petrol (1.8 i think) on 140k and a diesel on 175k (and that with a renault engine:p)

Add mine to that list as she is now at 120k and there is not a single creak out of it yet. The weakest part, allegedly, is the Japanese part ie. the engine and that is going perfect for me so far.
    No need to get defensive, samsemtex ;)

Of course the S40 looks / feels substantially better, more expensive, better equipped, more luxurious and more upmarket than its brother / sister. And the current Focus has excellent driving dynamics, so the S40 could do a lot worse than to use this platform.

Let's say I'm not a great fan of marketing tactics separating very similar (on the inside) platform sharing cars into completely different propositions, making us all believe in fairy tales. Ford's marketeers even make us think the S40 is physically bigger and have it compete in the D-segment :eek:

And I know, I know, that's what marketing is all about. They did a great job with the S40 :D

Yes but i think the S40 differntiates itself from the focus more than enough to justify its status as a completely different car and hence the higher price.

As for the size thing, the new s40 definitely feels small but i think my one fitted into the D-segment pretty well. Feels every bit as big as our C-class at home. Volvos seem to be between car sizes to me. The s40 is smaller than the C-class/3 series yet the s60 is bigger but seems slightly smaller than the E-class/5 series and the s80, which i think is the best value car on the road today, seems bigger than the E-class but smaller than an S-class. Or is that just my eyes?

Right. Im going to go in tomorrow with 5k cash and chance my arm. Am i wasting my time?

Actually, more important. Is it worth 5k?

Right. Im going to go in tomorrow with 5k cash and chance my arm. Am i wasting my time?

Yes because tomorrow is Sunday and they are closed. :D

are you driving your beemer?

Agreed on 6k yesterday afternoon. Collecting it on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement