Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

milk quality results

• 04-07-2009 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i cleaned out my in plate cooler the other day , normally in the winter i would do it every few weeks as sawdust would block it .. anyway wash had slowed down so i opened it and it was so dirty i cant believe that i wasnt getting really bad quality results there was actually a finger of a disposable glove in the bleeder hole :eek::eek: anyway tbc 20 and thermoduric 180 i know i shouldnt complain but i often got tbc of 60 or higher and couldnt find anything wrong there has to be something wrong with the testing system took me 2 hours to clean it and then i had to put it back together

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I worked on machine servicing for years..
    Its common to open them and to be rank inside...
    Some farms get away with this and some don't... Using hypochlorite in the pre rinse water will hide lots..
    I've even seen it poured from the 25l drum straight into the milk tank..:eek: Ya wouldnt need to wash anything !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye i use d90 on the wash seems to lower the tbc dramatically,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

This reminds me of a story my father used to tell us. He collected milk for years driving from farm to farm and also collecting from the different smaller farmers who would come with the smaller churns to the creamery.

On this one morning, an inspector was present from Headquarters to take samples. One farmer who wasn't known for his cleanliness, opened the lid of his churn only to find a dead cat floating on top of the milk. When the inspector had his back turned he caught the cat and threw it back over his shoulder, out over the ditch behind. The inspector, none the wiser, took his sample and went off about his business.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Indeed...
    Cats have often fallen into the tank... Strangely birds too have been seen going round with the agitator...

I remember seeing a cat going round in a tank (often used top of tank as workspace).. Child landed down and took large jug of milk for the house :eek:

Needless to say we excused ourselves and haddn't time to take tea when we were done:D

i used to relief milk for a farmer , in the evening time when the last cow would go out he would just knock off machine - no wash - and milk would sit in plant overnight , then in the morning he would just start it up , it was rotten

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

OMG, thats bad.

Surely one wouldn't get away with that carry on now, I mean Glanbia if anything are increasing tests, this year its cell count tests for every collection, next maybe it will probably be tests for TBC each time, though the TBC is easy to control.

ye they have started to test for water too , my dad is terrible for leaving the pipe in the tank too long .... drives me mad ... that farmer i milked for had straw going round on the agitator in milk tank and flies goin through in the wash trough we used to call it beruit ... the parlour would flood in the winter time it was mad , he reckoned he knew when the milk would be tested during the month.. it was funny as i would milk his cows and then go to the cleanest farm ever after to milk there

Advertisement