Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed Please! Buying in UK...

Options
  • 04-07-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

I am goin to be working over in the UK for the next year and thinking of buying 07/08 320d BMW MSport Coupe at the end of the month (as will be exempt from VRT at when i come back to irl) and I am just wondering is it worth getting an AA engineer to check it out? is therer anything I should look for and should i stay away from private sellers?and as I will be changing alot of euro into sterling does anybody know how to get the best value for my euro?

Any help would be very greatfully appriciated, thanks a million

Cormac
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

To be VRT execmpt you'll also have to demonstrate you used the car for at least 6mths so you'll need tax + insurance + reasonable extra milage. I assume this won't be a problem unless you're planning on parking it up somewhere for the year.

There's little enough comeback with a dealer but you've none with a private seller so in both cases definitely get an comprehensive AA check done. For a couple 100 quid it's just too big a risk to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whacker30

Went over myself last year and bought an 05 a4 tdi, as slimjimmc said for a couple of hundred quid get the engineers report done as you are exporting the car you will void any warranty that would be given to you by the dealership (nice grounds to get a few quid off!!). Make sure you keep all documents of proof from living and working in the uk as customs dont not roll over easily on this matter with the large amount of revenue being .lost to them. I found that on the buying front you are at an advantage as there is a huge surplus of used cars available, www.autotrader.co.uk is a great site to narrow it down and you can find yorself a great bargain if you look at ones that have a few motorway miles but also with a full service history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

go for an 08 over an 07.tax and resale will be much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Consider purchasing from a main dealer, plenty to choose from which is to your advantage plus I presume you've no trade in & maybe paying cash? Warranty (& extended warranty) are pan European plus it might be worth your while doing a deal with service pack inclusive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kindalen wrote: »
    go for an 08 over an 07.tax and resale will be much better.

+1
    yes, get the 08 one. you'll benefit from the lower tax band when you bring it home and you'll sell it much much quicker when the time comes for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 cormac07

thanks guys for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

http://www.hifx.co.uk/ for the euro exchange much better than banks

Advertisement