Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch's first heat

Options
  • 04-07-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

We recently took a boxer bitch in from a family who couldnt keep her any longer, but she was never spayed. Now at exactly nine months she has come into her first heat. I only noticed drops of blood on the floor yesterday and today but they are getting much heavier. Iv looked online and it says that this bleeding can stay for up to 21 days!

Does anyone one have any experience with boxers in heat or because its her first should it be shorter?

Also, she's crying all the time and whimpering. She never usually does this. Shes not in pain is she? Or is she being a typical girl and just hormonal?

thanks so much to anyone with info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

AFAIK most dogs average around 3weeks of being in heat, some are longer, some are shorter.
    Yup they will bleed, and depends on the dog -- also as regarding being in pain, I don't think we really know, they could be, just like humans, and also could be hormonal.
    Some are messier than others, so I'd keep a mop n disinfectant handy and obviously put down towels where she'd normally lie/sleep, because when they sit down they can leave a scuff mark of blood or drops.

It's her first heat, she may not know why she's sore or whatever, so she might be looking for reassurance and attention.

Make sure you keep her indoors as much as you can, other dogs will cross fire when they smell a b*tch in heat.

oh & unless you're going to have puppies, I suggest you get her spayed when she's out of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

As above it usually lasts about 3 weeks but our Samoyed didn't bleed that much. When walking keep her on lead as Dog's can smell their Bitch from something in the region of 2 miles. And even at that make sure your garden isn't penetrable as Dog's will literally tear at gates to get at her.

As far as the crying goes our's didn't but as above she may be looking for a bit more love and attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Apart from whats posted above is her 'lady bits' down below badly swollen?.

I remember someone posting here that their bitch found a lot of relief when they applied a cold damp towel there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Unless you are planning to breed off her I would advise that you have her neutured. Its kinder for the animal as there as so many complications that a bitch can go through when not neutured such as phantom pregnancies/mammary infections/cancer. We allowed our rottie one litter & as soon as the pups were weaned we had her done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 nearly_there

Thanks so much for replies!

Yes getting her done after this is definelty on the to do list, we just didnt get around to it between getting her and now.

Her "lady bits" are very swollen alright, so I will try the damp towel. hopefully that will give her some relief. God love her all she wants to do is cuddle and rest, i think she hasnt a clue whats happeniing. And she's starved the last few days too even thought shes being fed the same.

Do you think it will still be ok to walk her? I was going to keep her in the garden (very well protected) and play games and exercises with her to keep her out of harms way for the time being. Heard horror stories off a neighbour of coming home to 12 local dogs in her kitchen after leading a trail of doggy hormones the whole way home after walking. And subsequently 5 little surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

21 Days in season

First 7 days = Heavy 'spotting' bleeding (this will 'ALERT' all dogs in the neighbourhood that she is in season.) Walks should be kept to bare minimum if you don't want to attract too much attention.

Second 7 days = very light 'spotting' bleeding. (This is the danger time when the bitch will accept the advances and mate with any dog/s.) There is also the added danger of your bitch 'running off' to find a dog to mate, so extra vigilance is needed.

Third 7 days = 'spotting' bleeding will have virtually stopped now but the scent will still be there and dogs will still be attracted to the bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I wouldnt be in a rush to take her for for a walk. Your dog may be on a leash but other dogs may not be and if you try get in the way you might get a fright.

Advertisement