Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle info, compresd air.

Options
  • 04-07-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I am currently very interested in buying a compressed air, air rifle. i was wondering is there any good websites where i can get all the information i'd need, such as prices, equpment, legislaton, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

You could ask the guys in the airsoft forum they're very helpful with all things air :)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The_Joker wrote: »
    You could ask the guys in the airsoft forum they're very helpful with all things air :)

Only if it's <1 Joule at the muzzle. Anything over that and it's a firearm.

There are a good few people here who own air rifles.

gonecurtin: Are you looking to get into target shooting with the air rifle or do you want it for vermin control?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Unless the OP's talking about an actual air rifle (rather than a sub-one-joule replica)...

In terms of good websites... *cough*here*cough*.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gonecurtin

Sparks wrote: »
    Unless the OP's talking about an actual air rifle (rather than a sub-one-joule replica)...

In terms of good websites... *cough*here*cough*.
    :D

Ya, i'm looking for an actual air rifle, air tank and all. and from what i've bein reading on the boards, your the man (sparks) to be talking too. so please educate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

Try the BBS http://www.airgunbbs.com/

It's English, so it won't do the local legal stuff, but it should be good for everthing else.

• Advertisement

gonecurtin wrote: »
    Ya, i'm looking for an actual air rifle, air tank and all. and from what i've bein reading on the boards, your the man (sparks) to be talking too.
    Eep.
    so please educate me.
    Okay, first off, what are you going to use it for, hunting or target shooting?

Eep.

Okay, first off, what are you going to use it for, hunting or target shooting?

I'm going to be using it for target shooting.

First thing I'd say so gone is to join your local club and use club kit for a while. That'll give you a chance to see the sort of kit that's out there. Once you're ready the licencing procedure is the same as for any other firearm. The scuba tank bit is one option for refilling PCP air rifles, there are others (hand pumps, compressors), but if you're anywhere near a dive shop, scuba tanks are handier. However, if you're just starting off, the single-stroke pneumatic air rifles like the FWB600s and the like don't need tanks, and they're accurate enough to get you to a World Cup; the main advantage of the PCPs is that they're less physical work to set up for a shot, but for the first year or so, that doesn't really matter for a beginner.

The really high-end kit, you're talking about FWB P700s, Anschutz 8000 and 9000 models, Steyr LG100s and LG110s, and so forth. The problem is that they're all equally good technically, but they're almost as individual as pistols; you really have to give them a try to see which suits best (again, joining your local club and going to matches helps with that).

First thing I'd say so gone is to join your local club and use club kit for a while. That'll give you a chance to see the sort of kit that's out there. Once you're ready the licencing procedure is the same as for any other firearm. The scuba tank bit is one option for refilling PCP air rifles, there are others (hand pumps, compressors), but if you're anywhere near a dive shop, scuba tanks are handier. However, if you're just starting off, the single-stroke pneumatic air rifles like the FWB600s and the like don't need tanks, and they're accurate enough to get you to a World Cup; the main advantage of the PCPs is that they're less physical work to set up for a shot, but for the first year or so, that doesn't really matter for a beginner.

The really high-end kit, you're talking about FWB P700s, Anschutz 8000 and 9000 models, Steyr LG100s and LG110s, and so forth. The problem is that they're all equally good technically, but they're almost as individual as pistols; you really have to give them a try to see which suits best (again, joining your local club and going to matches helps with that).

I got in contact with the local gun club, only to be informed that they don't deal with that equipment but gave me a few names of local shooters who do, i tried getting information on the FWB600 but no luck, do you know of anydealers in ireland?

Local gun clubs are generally more for hunting than target shooting gc; what neck of the woods (approximately) are you in?

There are a few dealers I can think of. Top off my head would be Tiernans, but I'm a bit biased there :D Millard and Ardee could probably help as well.

• Advertisement

Local gun clubs are generally more for hunting than target shooting gc; what neck of the woods (approximately) are you in?

There are a few dealers I can think of. Top off my head would be Tiernans, but I'm a bit biased there :D Millard and Ardee could probably help as well.

I'm in Tipperary, rang around the names i was given and there doesn't seem to be a target shooting club near by,

There isn't one on your doorstep, true, but there's the Midlands to the east of you and there's Fermoy to the south. For air rifle ranges, you're pretty stuck though; however, if you know the local Pony Club, ask if they've got a tetrathlon range handy.

There isn't one on your doorstep, true, but there's the Midlands to the east of you and there's Fermoy to the south. For air rifle ranges, you're pretty stuck though; however, if you know the local Pony Club, ask if they've got a tetrathlon range handy.

Thank you very much for getting back to me sparks all the help and information on air rifles, a true gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 luke griffiths

look up gamo.com customer support and they can tell u da laws in wich 2 get ur hands on:) and others such as a good line of guns and ammuntion,equipment,footwear.and catulauges k and if u wud like 2 no more i will try to assist

Advertisement