Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toyota celica or toyota altezza

• 04-07-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

ok guys, i am debating between these two cars, which one would you go for and which one is better and why?

celica

altezza

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Altezza, because it's RWD and more comfy than the Celica

That's the Beams 3SGE engine right?

Also Carol from Fair City drives a Celica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Personally, I prefer the new Celica body, but for some reason its a "womans car".. Don't get it as Toyota used rally in it :confused:

Celica's a hatchback, that ruins it for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Tezza...
    Rear wheel drive... I rest my case at that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i like the celica, but the standard wheels dont compliment the bodykit imo, it needs bigger, or a nice rota wheel, but thats just my opinion.

Altezza is nice too, you have the 4 doors practicality and that but i would still go for the celica. but in that price range, have you looked at a DC5 Integra Type R?

this is the most decent one i could find close to the celica price http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Integra/FRESH-IN/200910192071565/advert?channel=CARS but with a bit of haggleing and a cash purchase you should get it for close to 10,500 or there abouts.

god i wish i knew how to change links into fancy words like "click me"

• Advertisement

I'd get a TT over both of them, even a 180 Quattro.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd get a TT over both of them, even a 180 Quattro.

would get my vote too, try get the 225bhp version, not much difference in insurance premiums between that and the 180bhp version. really nice cars and look well on the roads imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Having experience with both cars and being in both at least 3 times a week I'd say the Altezza, it's just so much better in every way, four doors, 220BHP, rear wheel drive, just better!

225 would also be my choice, my point is even the 180 would be quicker and better to drive than the Celica and far classier than the Altezza or DC5

Having experience with both cars and being in both at least 3 times a week I'd say the Altezza, it's just so much better in every way, four doors, 220BHP, rear wheel drive, just better!

i would agree with the 4 doors, RWD but these cars never, never make the quotes power that Toyota claimed they were. i have never seen an altezza make anywhere near 220bhp on a dyno, but of course i wouldnt mind being prooved wrong!

225 would also be my choice, my point is even the 180 would be quicker and better to drive than the Celica and far classier than the Altezza or DC5

+1

• Advertisement

RS200 is only 210bhp on Jap fuel isn't it?

RS200 is only 210bhp on Jap fuel isn't it?

yeah, ive seen many on dyno's and they always make between 160-180bhp, still nothing to be sniffed at i suppose :D

Or even an Audi A4, they are damn quick, you have the Quattro, the power curve is damn smooth and power comes almost instant. Also the four doors etcetera.

Better options out there IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Or even an Audi A4, they are damn quick, you have the Quattro, the power curve is damn smooth and power comes almost instant. Also the four doors etcetera.

Quattro is very heavy though - the front wheel drive 1.8T A4 is like a rocket compared to the Quattro.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Quattro is very heavy though - the front wheel drive 1.8T A4 is like a rocket compared to the Quattro.

Sit in the passenger seat of a Quattro and dont even try tell me the power isn't given so directly and smoothly, it's perfect really and just feels amazing ;) However, OP, if you want reliability and speed, with four doors, maybe try a Honda Torneo Euro-R, old shape, or if it takes your fancy then the new shape. I know I'm giving you this opinion as a 17 year old male, but god damn these cars are quick and ever so comfy! (I've got a lot of car experience) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Midnight_EG where did you get the 220 BHP figure from the altelzza?
    Even Toyota's optimistic figure is 210 on Jap fuel.

Cant quite remember, heard it being thrown around, or maybe it was a Beamns tuned engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eoinsheehy

no offence if your lookiing for the boy racer look then take the altezza

Cant quite remember, heard it being thrown around, or maybe it was a Beamns tuned engine?

makes no difference, there all 210bhp officially on jap fuel. but the fishermen throw some ponies overboard when coming to ireland to save on weight :D

• Advertisement

Ah right ok :P

TRD sticker adds 10bhp doncha know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

Nice, but a lot more expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

the Altezza
    Sit in the passenger seat of a Quattro and dont even try tell me the power isn't given so directly and smoothly, it's perfect really and just feels amazing ;) However, OP, if you want reliability and speed, with four doors, maybe try a Honda Torneo Euro-R, old shape, or if it takes your fancy then the new shape. I know I'm giving you this opinion as a 17 year old male, but god damn these cars are quick and ever so comfy! (I've got a lot of car experience) ;)

As a 39 year old male I can tell you that an A4 is far from fast , and the driving experience leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the likes of a 3 series or a mondeo. I have'nt driven an Altezza or celica but the Altezza does seem to be a favorite of the boy racing community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..'sfunny place, the intrawobblynet.........no matter what you do, someone gets an A4 plug in.......:rolleyes:

OP - Celica. Altezza only if it was half that price. Gawdawful image imho.......

[edit] actually, scrap that. Altezza only if it was free. [/edit]

I have to say, the interior of either is dissappointing - incl the Celica. You could be in a Corolla 1.4 tbh......

seeing as someone else suggested it, then for the 10k mark, I'll have to go with my boards name and suggest this: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/200926194429372/advert?channel=CARS

...no, not mine, but I do know the owner, and was in it, Friday. Faster than my P-car, that's for sure, and even after all these years, the interior is still in a class of it's own. If it was an auto, I'd buy it like a shot, but I'm getting old'n'cranky..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The Celica will be faster, thats your decision sorted there OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

altezza, cheaper and looks better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

colm_mcm wrote:
    Better options out there IMO.
    QFT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

celica is lovely to drive but yea its a girly car... an it ant even a trd modell....... altezza all the way stear from the rear!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rrrkelly

ok thanks people for advice. with regards to it being a womans car its 190hp and 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, i dont think any other "womens cars" can accomplish this. plus it is faster than most of its predecessors....

there's an automatic Hyundai Coupe going around that'll beat that by about 4 seconds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Both are nice cars .. The celica is a far better looking car , if you dont need a saloon with back doors I would go for that.

there's an automatic Hyundai Coupe going around that'll beat that by about 4 seconds :)

ok is hyundai coupe a womans car. i didnt think this, anyone else have examples of womans car and how does it reach this status?:)

Usually a pretty car is a womans car, unless it handles well or goes fast.

Actually I'm not convinced by the whole girly car thing, some cars are girly (206 CC etc) , some are just very good looking. ]

Audi TT, great looking
    Mazda MX5, great looking

Neither are girly cars because of their capabilities....

Hyundai Coupe is all show and no go, it's actually a very pretty car, but it's let down by the engines and Elantra chassis,m If Hyundai had put a nice high-revving VVT engine there with circa. 200bhp and sorted the handling, it would have found favour with drivers. As it is though, it's still hugely popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

as a matter of fact my brother had a hyundai coupe 2.7 v6 there as rare as hens teeth an as quick as an m3 an id still class that as a girly car!!!:D

browner85 wrote: »
    as a matter of fact my brother had a hyundai coupe 2.7 v6 there as rare as hens teeth an as quick as an m3 an id still class that as a girly car!!!:D

Why do you think it's as fast as an M3?
    The 2.7 v6 produces 165 bhp. Even going back to the 80's I can't find a M3 with such low power output!

they are nowhere as quick as an M3. they're only 165bhp.

I've driven one and it was rubbish.

the manual might be able to do 0-60 in around 7.9 seconds, but the auto (which seems to be the only option here) is way behind that.

If you're taxing a 2.7 there are WAY better options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe he was talking about the motorway and not the BMW. :D

But a 2.0 auto can do 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds so anything is possible with a 2.7 version. :p

ok right when people say that celicas are girls cars, do they mean just the newer shaped models post 1999, i.e. vvti and vvtli, or all celicas in general? including ss models?

• Advertisement

as a matter of fact, your brother's car was no where near as fast as an M3, not in a million years im afraid :rolleyes:

...and they're only as rare as hens teeth because they're rubbish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Hyundai coupe korean rubbish...

Altezza because it's Rwd, proper car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

049-2.jpg

That is all.

you'd wanna move that, it's on a yellow box :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Bear in mind that the Tezza is pretty thirsty. Had a loan of one for a day, loved the drive and the Beams engine but fcuk me it was thirsty.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the Tezza is pretty thirsty. Had a loan of one for a day, loved the drive and the Beams engine but fcuk me it was thirsty.

I drive a 3SGE beams Celica and I wouldn't say it's too bad on fuel. Generally I get 25 - 32 mpg depending on how I drive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

tuxy wrote: »
    I drive a 3SGE beams Celica and I wouldn't say it's too bad on fuel. Generally I get 25 - 32 mpg depending on how I drive it.
    Ive gotten 35 on occasion.

Advertisement