Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest Pizza base recipe?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

Just as the title says, can I have your recommendations please for making the easiest pizza base, for a novice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This is mine - you just need strong flour, yeast, salt, water and olive oil. I put a half teaspoon of sugar in too (but I use a bread maker to mix it because I'm lazy) and it makes the nicest dough this side of Milanos.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Made pizza for the first time this week.

about 500g strong bread flour
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoon dried yeast
    dash of olive oil
    half teaspoon sugar
    drop of milk
    water

I 'started' the yeast in a cup of warm water with the sugar and milk in until it started to froth.
    Mixed up the rest and kneaded for about 10 mins
    Put in warm place to rise 1 1/2 hours.
    Formed into balls and stretched out to make as thin as possible pizzas.
    I kept one ball in an oiled bag in the fridge for a couple of days, took it out to let it warm up and made the pizza - this one was the best of them.

Sorry can't give a quantity of water as I just added until it seemed 'right'.
    Worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

This is alot of dough so you can half the recipe or make it all and freeze it

Ingredients
    • 1kg strong white flour
    • 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
    • 2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
    • 1 tablespoon caster sugar
    • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 650ml lukewarm water
    Method: How to make pizza dough

1. Sieve the flour and salt on to a clean work surface and make a well in the middle. In a jug, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well. Using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with your clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough.
    2. Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
    3. Now remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands - this is called knocking back the dough. You can either use it immediately, or keep it, wrapped in cling film, in the fridge (or freezer) until required

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've also had a pizza with a Soda Bread base. It was delicious and none of the kneading or proving or rising required.

You just follow a white soda recipe and add just enough liquid to bring together and then roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bombjack2

If you use Tipo 00 flour for the base, use semolina flour for rolling it out and dusting, it comes out very good, easy to get a really thin crispy base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This is mine - you just need strong flour, yeast, salt, water and olive oil. I put a half teaspoon of sugar in too (but I use a bread maker to mix it because I'm lazy) and it makes the nicest dough this side of Milanos.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps

'cptr

I'd use a very similar method to this. But I use honey instead of sugar (traditional Napoletan way) and semolina to dust and roll (as suggested by another poster).

I am surprised someone uses milk - shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Thanks for that kids dying to try make their own pizza so will let them off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

olaola wrote: »

Did this one tonight and it was absolutely yummy!!! :D

Topping - Tomato passata with basil and garlic. Mozzerella, Parmesan and mature chedder. A few
    jalapenos, mushrooms, onion, thinly sliced pepperoni and red pepper.

Advertisement