Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 316 - repair costs

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi. I have just gone for my NCT for the above mentioned car. I failed on account of the following: 2 brakelines/ hoses have advanced corrosion, 1 flexible brake pipe is chaffed.

Has anybody any clue as to how much I should expect to pay a garage to get this repaired? Is this a small or a big job?

Many thanks - :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Depends on year of car, if its a 01 model E46, and its the rear steel hoses which have the rust, the fuel tank needs to be dropped to fit the new pipe. Your going to be looking a few hundered euro so.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Thanks for your input.

It's a yr 2000. I got one quote this morning for max. 550 euros. but they charge 80 E per hour for labour.

I'm dropping it into another garage today to have a look at it. If I can get away a few hundred euros i suppose I'll be lucky.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

justo wrote: »
    Hi. I have just gone for my NCT for the above mentioned car. I failed on account of the following: 2 brakelines/ hoses have advanced corrosion, 1 flexible brake pipe is chaffed.

Has anybody any clue as to how much I should expect to pay a garage to get this repaired? Is this a small or a big job?

Many thanks - :)

Had the same problem a few years ago with my 99 318. Brough it to ac car sales, they guy told me they were not corroded as they are alluminium, he took them off cleaned them and it passed the NCT. Think it cost 85 euro.

Cheers.

The 'advance corrosion' is on the rear (near and offside) and the offside front is perished. I wonder if the rear pipes are aluminim on the yr. 2000 316 also. As it happens it was AC car sales who gave me a phone quote for 550. I've used them before and thought them to be good but a little pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

An Ard Ri wrote: »
    Had the same problem a few years ago with my 99 318. Brough it to ac car sales, they guy told me they were not corroded as they are alluminium, he took them off cleaned them and it passed the NCT. Think it cost 85 euro.

It wouldn't surprise me TBH as on the NCT they don't even bother to give them a rub to see what's under the dirt. My E36 failed on the front flexible pipes, there was nothing wrong with the ones i took off.... Also the ones I took off were fairly dirty, so not sure how he could see the condition of the hose under that...

Its always wise to clean down your flexible brake pipes and have them very clean for the test, the reason for this seems to be two fold:-
    1) Makes the testers life easier also he can actually see the brake line, hence make his judgement. (They seem to fail if in doubt)
    2) The Tester is now aware that someone has cleaned / inspected the lines, so they can't just fail at will, as the will probably get an argument...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

justo wrote: »
    Thanks for your input.

It's a yr 2000. I got one quote this morning for max. 550 euros. but they charge 80 E per hour for labour.

I'm dropping it into another garage today to have a look at it. If I can get away a few hundred euros i suppose I'll be lucky.

Thanks again.

80 euro per hour does seem kind of saucy to me. Then again it is perhaps no doubt any more than the going extortionate rates garages charge. I'd definately be inclined to shop around and any garage you ring let them know you are in the process of shopping around to get the best quote. I would be inclined to think though that you may need to take the car in to be examined before you could get definate quotes. Surely it would depend on how advanced the rust is and how much of the underside of the car needs to be treated?....May well be wrong in saying that though.

If you are proceeding with the job I would try to make sure you hold the garage to the price they quoted you. I have being stung before myself this way.

Thanks to you all. I'll bear all this in mind when I'm talking to garages and examining the extent of the damage.

Driving is an expensive habit, no?

Advertisement