Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 spec check

Options
  • 05-07-2009 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Getting ready to order the this system from overclockers and just wanted some advice.

Anything I can improve?
    Is everything compatible?

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Socket LGA1366)

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-650TXUK)

Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Low Latency Tri-Channel

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366)

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 XT 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray Reader & HD-DVD ROM Serial ATA Drive

Antec P183 Super Midi Tower Case - Gun Metal Black (No PSU)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Price?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Sorry,
    Around 1150,1200 sterling including Irish vat and shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whoa, You do know OCUK are registered for Vat here, they change the Vatrate from the UK 17% to the Irish 21.5% at checkout.............not great value then

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Whoa, You do know OCUK are registered for Vat here, they change the Vatrate from the UK 17% to the Irish 21.5% at checkout.............not great value then

Yes I know, this price includes Irish Vat @ 21.5%

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Everything is fine except the mobo, which sucks [CENSORED] :(

Isn't the UD3R the cut-down budget mobo? I don't think it has triple-channel, hell I don't even know if it has anything better than 16/4 CrossFire :eek: That DDR3 kit may not work on that mobo...

Another issue with that mobo - I think people have had issues installing certain tower coolers on them. That Noctua was one of them I think.

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »

Isn't the UD3R the cut-down budget mobo? I don't think it has triple-channel, hell I don't even know if it has anything better than 16/4 CrossFire :eek: That DDR3 kit may not work on that mobo...

Another issue with that mobo - I think people have had issues installing certain tower coolers on them. That Noctua was one of them I think.

Thanks for the reply,
    What mobo/ram combo would you reccomend?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nothing wrong with the memory, its the mobo that's the problem. Anything else should work. The MSI is cheap and should be able to mount the widest variety of CPU coolers but it might not be great for OC as I don't see any heatsinks on the VRegs. The Foxconn only has one set of memory slots but at least those are triple-channel and its arguably the best board if you intend to go multi-card in future as they alone have remembered to put some space inbetween the PCIe2x16 slots for air to get to the first card :P Otherwise the Asus P6T is a popular and balanced mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Where did you hear that this mobo sucked?
    Isn't the UD3R the cut-down budget mobo?

The UD3R is known to clock better than the UD4 which is in fact a cut down version of the UD5.
    I don't think it has triple-channel

All i7 CPUs have a triple channel memory controller and I'm not aware of any X58 motherboard that doesn't support this. If you are referring to the fact that it has 4 DIMM slots, one channel has 2 slots, and the other 2 channels have a slot apiece. As most users will only ever install one triple DIMM kit, this shouldn't be a problem.
    hell I don't even know if it has anything better than 16/4 CrossFire :eek:

The X58 IOH supports up to 36 PCI-E lanes, and a quick venture to the spec page of the motherboard tells that they're both x16 slots electrically.

Apparently the Noctua NH-U12P is fine and I'm pretty sure the TRUE is also.

Advertisement