Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do cats headbutt stuff?

Options
  • 05-07-2009 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

My cat is driving her head into my laptop right now with such force that I think she may not only break the laptop but break her face as well.

Cats do this a lot though. I have had many cats and they all liked to rub their heads on things ferociously. When I'm in bed my cat smashes her face against the solid corner of the hardback book that I'm reading. I'm like wtf? Then she tries to lick my armpits but that's a different story....

What's this about? I heard that this action is due to them trying to spread a scent with glands located in their cheeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Overblood wrote: »
    What's this about? I heard that this action is due to them trying to spread a scent with glands located in their cheeks?

That's what I heard too, they are marking their area. My cat used to rub her head against the walls and corners passing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hehe, with my cat it always meant "I want you to rub me and then I'm going to bite you" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Someone was saying to me that cats have markers on the inside of their mouths so they rub off stuff and this duct or whatever inside their mouth will mark their area as theirs.
    So it could be that, or sometimes they do that when they want you to rub them, or if they do it against you they might be giving you kisses/marking you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote: »
    Hehe, with my cat it always meant "I want you to rub me and then I'm going to bite you" :pac:
    Hey, I know that one! "I'm going to roll on my back with my legs in the air, look incredibly cute, so that you rub my tummy, and then my back legs come out, claws and all and scratch your hand to pieces!".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

LOL it's the cat's laptop now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

My opinion on it is that it's from when they are kittens, and go to feed from the mother that they have to nudge her to get the flow of milk started. You will notice calves and foals doing this a lot, and much more noticeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"Hehe, with my cat it always meant "I want you to rub me and then I'm going to bite you"

lol ditto with my previous cat.

Some cats are bigger head butters than others, as for the armpit thing eww perhaps it's the salt in the sweat lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Overblood wrote: »
    Then she tries to lick my armpits but that's a different story....

So its not just me then.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Like everyone else has said she is marking your book etc as her book.

Advertisement