Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump Action Shotgun?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Cheers for the all the info posted above, It's given me a lot to think about, and has been illuminating about shooting disciplines I had hitherto know little about.
    Will probably opt for the Remmy 870 given it's price, and its track record...It looks like the ultimate all-rounder, and It will probably stand to me if I decide I don't care much for clay shooting, but if I do, then I will probably change if I find the 870 isn't up too the job at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gameshotpro

Dont forget that at most of the clay shooting grounds nowadays you have to bring your used shells home with you. Which means that after finishing shooting with an auto or pump you would have to walk around gathering your shells. whereas with an over and under, break gun and take cartridges out and put them in your pocket:). I shoot an over and under and I certainly wouldnt fancy walking around after shooting a 25 bird squad and picking up all my used shells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

Just one thing, the Rem 870 doesn't have screw in chokes. Its a fixed half choke as far as i can see on shoot.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Killguru wrote: »
    Just one thing, the Rem 870 doesn't have screw in chokes. Its a fixed half choke as far as i can see on shoot.ie

All of them come with the RemChoke screw-in system, no different on my 870.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Dont forget that at most of the clay shooting grounds nowadays you have to bring your used shells home with you. Which means that after finishing shooting with an auto or pump you would have to walk around gathering your shells. whereas with an over and under, break gun and take cartridges out and put them in your pocket:). I shoot an over and under and I certainly wouldnt fancy walking around after shooting a 25 bird squad and picking up all my used shells

Do they not have bins????:D:D:D

They have in Mourne, Courtlough, Ardee and lakelands.

"you pay 30 quid to shoot 100 birds and now they want you also to bring home your empties. Next theyll want you to bring your own clays."

I can understand picking up empties as when I shot with the auto I always did but bring them home aswell.

You sure thats not for registered:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Speaking of inconsiderate people on the line.Is it too much to ask that youO/U lot break your guns straight??So your empties eject Backwards.Not side break left or right and chuck your empties in a neat pile that people have to kick away when they get to a plate??

Gameshot you obviously use a gun with extractors not ejectors.An OU with ejectors isnt going to alow you to do that,unless you have fishing nets for pockets.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you open the gun one-handed and have the other ready over the opening chambers you can stop them flying everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

Just a point raised by the OP, and im open to correction here, but im almost sure that pump shotguns are already on the restricted list, last time i checked i got the impression that my .308, 870 pump and 9mm were all on the list. BTW i use my 870 for hunting/pest control and clays, no bother with it at all, a good all rounder, and as previously stated if you learn to use the recoil to your advantage you can practicaly cycle the action automtically with no thought. People who give me strange looks at clay shoots with my pump can look all they want, better concentrating on what they are doing, couldnt give a fiddlers whether they like it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, pump shotguns aren't on the restricted list, so long as their magazine capacity isn't more than 3 rounds, and they don't have a pistol grip or a telescopic/folding/removable stock, and they are over 24" long.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gameshotpro

My gun has ejectors. I just keep my hand over the chamber and stop the shells from flying around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

Sparks wrote: »
    No, pump shotguns aren't on the restricted list, so long as their magazine capacity isn't more than 3 rounds, and they don't have a pistol grip or a telescopic/folding/removable stock, and they are over 24" long.

Thanks, that would be why it was in my head, my one falls within some of those parameters so it is on the restricted list.

Advertisement