Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubstep ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Funny you ask.. i tried my hand at a bit of it last night.. just throwing some loops n stuff together.. funny burial didint get a mention in that article.. although they did have a little pic of him.. for anyone whos new to dubstep or would like to have a listen i defo recommend any of the burial albums especially the second one untrue a masterpiece i think.. i listened to it for 6 months solid and even threw it on again last night for a bit of "inspiration"..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I think that article was 2006.

Whilst I'm no expert a lot of UK sounds seem to have a Reggae/Dub thread in them which I find appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

yeah, ive hdone a few tracks that are bordering on dubstep. its quite similiar to a lo of the techno that i do. big LFO'd basslines and stuff. its basically the same tempo too (140ish) but played in half time.

if you want to hear the best of dubstep (and there is some god awful sh1te) check out this track by the bug feat warrior queen poison dart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aW7NFSGklM

Good Stuff. To my ears it's electronic reggae.

I bought a couple of Sly + Robbie albums recently that have similar grooves.
    In the mid 80s Sly used to play a Simmons kit that had the electronic sounds but the reggae riddims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yeah, i seem to be making predominantly Dubstep. I love it.

The off beat drum is pretty interesting. I find the sparse snare means when it hits you really need to make it noticable. There tonnes of good Dubstep artists out there, and a variant in the sound that means just because you haven't like some artitst doesn't mean you won't like them all.

As already mentioned, that Warrior Queen track above is excellent. Other good artists ( in my opinion ) to check out would be Caspa, Rusko, Scream, Benga, Coki, Cotti and Cluekid, Tes la Ros, 12th Planet, King Soly, Bar 9, Chimpo, B-Lam and Starkey. The one thing i would say is that Dubstep at the moment is stuck in "singles" mode. There are a really limited number of artists who seem to put out full albums that are consistant quality throughout. That is just my opinion though.

One of the most interesting ( for me ) bits of Dubstep i have come across is the Squincey Jones mix linked in my sig below. It's an interesting blend of Dubstep, Texas based rap and 8-bit Nitendo sounds....hence the name "Nitendub".

I quess the reason i like making it is because it's just so broad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DJ SC

i produce dubstep quite often probly my favourite kind of music to make mix and listen to!:D

Do you guys have MySpace where I might have a listen ?

heres my myspace got a new one up there to on the top!
    http://www.myspace.com/djscdubstep

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

DJ SC wrote: »

Not a huge fan of ket-step myself, but your tracks are really high quality, fair play, i see you havent got a release yet, i hope your sending them off to labels!

SteveDon wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of ket-step myself, but your tracks are really high quality, fair play, i see you havent got a release yet, i hope your sending them off to labels!

cheers man.
    i was sposed to get a tune released ages ago but i ****ed up the masterin then realised i didnt really wanna release it as it wernt that good!lol
    but yea im sendin the occasional tune off a couple of labels are interested but im gonna keep lookin for a bit.

• Advertisement

DJ SC wrote: »

Sounds interesting DJSC, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

I dislike the standard "dubstep" wobble bassline tracks etc, they irritate me immensely at this stage. Much prefer artists/labels who push the sound on a bit,

martyn

Theres also an Irish label called NAKED LUNCH which is really good!

Uk funky has caught my ear over the last year and a bit, similar to dubstep the sound can vary, it can sound like mid 90's house to something unheard of. Very exciting!

Also artists like instra:mental and Dbridge on darkestral and nonplus records are ace, their autonomic podcast series is probably the best thing on the internet at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

That Instra:Mental guy sounds like drum and bass from 1993.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Sounds interesting DJSC, well done.

cheers mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CruxZ

this is a quality track :) +different then most dubstep nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Instra:Mental are doing some amazing stuff lately, but it's defo more DnB than Dubstep. I'd put Noisia in that bracket too. It seems to my ears that the best artists in DnB, Dubstep and the deeper Techno are all making music that is beginning to converge. Dubstep fractured into a few disparate sub-genres about 3 years ago but the best stuff, in my opinion (Skream, Pinch, Hyetal, Peverelist, not forgetting the fantastic homegrown T-wocc and Boxcutter), is moving with the best DnB (Instra:Mental, Noisia, etc.) and Techno into a new area which has been quite astutely compared by Paul Brewer to 80's Dub reggae. I think that's the common thread between all the best stuff and maybe where the next important movement (just like Dubstep itself) will come from, will be a new re-imagining of Dub Reggae. As usual, go back to the source (Lee Perry, King Tubby, Scientist, etc.) and try it again with the latest tools and what comes out might just blow everybodys socks off. On a related note, has anyone recently bettered the work of Basic Channel/Rhythm and Sound in this area? I'm not so sure. Great thread Paul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Killer to dance to though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-9RQoHd5rc

Here's some other people dancing to dub step.

I've been trying to find out if that vocal is a Kate Nash. I just really like the it. Don't know what it is. Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvtDVWlVD8&playnext_from=TL&videos=qw85I0C-zJw

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

On a related note, has anyone recently bettered the work of Basic Channel/Rhythm and Sound in this area? I'm not so sure. Great thread Paul.

i couldn't stand reggae/dub till i "discovered" Basic Channel. yeah, i know, mea culpa. but i still only really like the dub-techno side of things. i do find an awful lot of unlistenable-to dross within the dub/reggae/dubstep ouevre.

i have only gotten into the whole Basic Channel thing in the last year or two and have been completely and utterly torpedoed by how incredible they (and their offshoots) are/were. absolutely sublime stuff and utterly compelling. what really pisses me off is how i totally missed them when they were current.

anyway, my pursuit of that Basic Channel fix has introduced me to loads of similar artists:
    Rod Modell and his various guises (Deepchord, Echospace, CV313)
    a guy from Moscow called Killahertz
    Marko Furstenberg from Germany and netlabel Thinnerism (home of some awesome sounds and artists, not just dub-tech)
    Zzzzra from Soundcloud and deepindub.org. actually, this guy is a moderator on one of the better dub techno groups on Soundcloud. there are some really amazing tracks in there...
    some (but admittedly not all) of the works by Vladislav Delay
    Fluxion from Basic Channel's own label Chain Reaction
    Doppelklick, again from Soundcloud
    and an indispensably sublime album by Yagya called Rhythm Of Snow

there are loads of other one-off artists that have produced tracks of the depth and calibre of the Basic Channel stable. the fun is trying to track them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

shackleton is playing the twisted pepper tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Anyone go to the Shakleton gig? Would have loved to have checked him out live but I'm not in Dublin at the mo.

And hey, Lazyatom, have you seen the Dub Echoes documentary? Well worth a look and the soundtrack (double cd or triple vinyl) is a great collection of new and old dub and dub influenced tracks. It includes some classic King Tubby and the like but also some Basic Channel and Dubstep. Well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blankguitarist

i've a reggae/dub song here that's crying out for a dubstep remix. give me an PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 drac234cpfc

Sunn wrote: »
    I dislike the standard "dubstep" wobble bassline tracks etc, they irritate me immensely at this stage. Much prefer artists/labels who push the sound on a bit,

martyn

Theres also an Irish label called NAKED LUNCH which is really good!

Uk funky has caught my ear over the last year and a bit, similar to dubstep the sound can vary, it can sound like mid 90's house to something unheard of. Very exciting!

I do produce dubstep. I am originally from the home of the genre. Croydon in South London. I'm more into the old school sounds of people like Zed Bias when he was on Dark Garage.

BTW UK Funky is nothing like dubstep. It's like tribal house on steroids. It uses the deep basses, 4 to the floor and the bongos and a very synthesized sound with mid and high tones. Then you got either the very old school garage vocals of either an MC such as Riskgo or Ramzee, or a woman such as Emeli Sandé or Egypt. Trust me on this. I DJ it.

Advertisement