Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's not broken why change it...

Options
  • 05-07-2009 4:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Apparently the UFC are hosting a grappling tournament with some super fights at their UFC 100 special expo in vegaz. not sure about the details but sounds interesting.

my idea is however. for ufc to hold a couple of superfight events under adcc rules. i'd love to see chuck liddel and wanderlai silva have a submission wrestling fight. i'd love to see bj penn and anderson silva in a grappling match.

you might say what's the point? or grappling is actually boring.

the point is ppl will watch it and fighters can get paid to have fights where the chance of injury is much lower. like maybe anderson silva or bj penn only fights 2/3 times a year but thy could do one or two grappling events on a big stage to keep money rolling in etc. and keep sharp.

while it can be argued that grappling is actually boring compared to MMA i think the inherent boringness can be overcome by the superfight nature. like a really good bjj black belt i've never heard of fighting another bjj blackbelt i've never heard of might be a snooze fest gabriel gonzaga and fedor might be entertaining for 10 minutes just to see who comes out on top.

anyone thing this is a good idea or would they watch them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Some top fighters seem to want to fight more than 2 or 3 times a year which is reasonable especially as the fighters can afford to train full time now so this could be a goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Its a good idea, at least on a conditional basis. I hope its not under exact adcc rules though, as they can be little bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I know that Rumina Sato and Joe Stevenson are in a couple of the super fights, not against each other

I'm not really sure how your idea would work. You say that it would bring in extra money for fighters, but you're mentioning the fighters who don't need extra money

How much money could a fighter really make doing it? A grappling event isn't going to generate as much money for the UFC as their regular events, so they'll have to pay the fighters less

It could also serve to confuse an audience that is still growing and learning

I'd definitely be interested in seeing something like this, but I don't think that it's workable for the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

you have to remeber the average fan would **** all over a grapplers quest/adcc esque event and even to submission grappling fans it is not always thrilling - but has been suggested you can tweek the rules to reward a certain style but then again, this will also take away from the essence of the sport which would really have a very limited appeal - for every marcello garcio there are dozens of 'boring' grapplers

but ultimately if you make too big a deal of it it will fail because the average fan cant stand much of the grappling withing an mma fight - but for the hardcore - yeah sure, why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

The Grappling expos are the most interesting part of this whole event if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Could be good for the masters of the sport, who still have the skills, but not the ability to take punishment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This the type of think you could do on the undercard initally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

ADCC is so feckin boring to watch I dont think this would draw many viewers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

No idea how successfully it would go over with the 'casual' fan but I personally think it's a great idea!

Who wants Couture v Liddell IV? No one. Who wants a Couture v Liddell grappling only superfight? AwesomeTown!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

They would not get payed for doing grappling matches so it would not work, these are done for MMA fighters as practise and not for money, in the UFC contract you cant compete at anything else-thats a big blocking point as to why Fedor wont sign a UFC contract-they wont let him do sambo if he signs.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

They were beautiful to watch. It was so raw, no lights or commentators, Just top guys rolling.

Anyways, I cant imagine UFC being to keen on this type of thing. Its ok if its star V star but when someone like Joe Stephenson is beating by someone ive never heard of (Bill Cooper) Its makes him look kind of weak. Bill Cooper could be a top guy in the grappling world but not in the wider MMA world.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

cowzerp wrote: »
    in the UFC contract you cant compete at anything else-thats a big blocking point as to why Fedor wont sign a UFC contract-they wont let him do sambo if he signs.

UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta:
    We can figure something out with the sambo thing... (but) at the end of the day, I think we need to have a situation where at least 90 or 120 days before he's signed a contract to fight, he shouldn't be out there competing in events like that because I don't want to take the chance of him getting hurt

Seems like their getting desperate to get Fedor into the UFC & will allow him to compete in Combat Sambo afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Bill Cooper is a big name in US Grappling he's a phenom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

grappling is actually boring.

Think i'd be one of the few who finds grappling more exciting then MMA.
    I watch more BJJ then MMA these days, Actually I'm starting to find MMA quite boring.

I'd love to see some BJJ/grappling contests between GSP, BJ Penn, Sherk, Silva, etc..

rovert wrote: »
    This the type of think you could do on the undercard initally.
    while it can be argued that grappling is actually boring compared to MMA i think the inherent boringness can be overcome by the superfight nature. like a really good bjj black belt i've never heard of fighting another bjj blackbelt i've never heard of might be a snooze fest gabriel gonzaga and fedor might be entertaining for 10 minutes just to see who comes out on top.

anyone thing this is a good idea or would they watch them?

*Wishes posters could exchange words to complete their sentences* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

something must have changed in the ufc contract this year because GSP, Nate Marquart, Damien Mia are listed in the adcc in barcelona in sept!

Advertisement