Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to printing c. 4000 sheets of paper?

Options
  • 05-07-2009 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

[edit: print!]

Hi,

I'm not sure where on Boards.ie this request will go but I'm basically looking for somebody who could do this printing.

I'm in Dublin and about to print my thesis out. Does anybody know

A) where I can get 744, one-sided, 100GSM sheets of A4 B&W paper printed out cheaply?

B) and 3348 pages of the same quality and size although printed on both sides, i.e. on 1674 sheets of paper.

C) and 96 colour sheets of paper printed on the same 100GSM A4 sheets of paper.

It's the paper for two official copies of my thesis (A), and 9 copies for friends (B), and the maps etc for them (C).

Reads is way too expensive. The cheapest I have got so far is UCD's Copiprint who are quoting me €225 just for printing this. I will then have to bind them at €25 per copy on top so I'm understandably looking for a better deal than UCD is offering.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Is this the final thesis to be printed out and handed in? Or just to check it?

You could try Reids on Nassau Street, or any number of digital printers from the yellow pages.

The price will be determined by quantity, finishing and one or two other small things.

Best bet is get on the email to a few places and see what prices they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

How quickly do you need it? If you've time you could try one of the print on demand places like lulu or comixpress, though you might have to print it as two books due to the page count.

Isn't there a shop in Dublin that just prints thesis? Drove past it once but can't remember where it is.

Found it - The Thesis Center - no clue if they'd be any cheaper then Reads

I was going to say the Thesis Centre. But was not sure if they were still in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Last time I went by the Thesis Centre on the bus it looked open to me, cant have been more than a couple of weeks ago. But I priced them once for thesis printing and Reads was working out cheaper, but I did have a lot of colour pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

They are extremely high costs...

Do you know what they are charging you per print?
    FYI even if they are double sided, it is still counted as printing on an A4 page:

For example:

744 printed mono pages @ 3c = €22.32
    3348 printed mono pages @ 3c = €100.44
    96 colour pages @ 30c = €28.20

Then total of 2514 actual paper (just over 5 reams, so you would have to get a 6th if you were doing it yourself)
    The price would also depend on what type of 100gm paper you would want/need. These prices vary considerably...it might be worth looking into if you could supply the paper yourself?

So based on the prices above the cost would be €151.56 (ex the paper).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

They are extremely high costs....
    What are you basing that statement on???
    Those prices quoted are actually pretty reasonable!

You give a price of €151.56... excluding the paper... on vikingdirect six of the cheapest decent 100gsm A4 lazer reams comes to €89.94+vat = €109.27
    Giving a total of €260.83... and your time spent doing it.

Don't forget that the printing company has to pay a click charge on every print, has to pay for the paper, has to pay wages, has to pay for electricity, heating, insurance, rates, rent, equipment purchase, and a million other sundries...

where are you getting the 3c/30c price from?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

minikin wrote: »
    What are you basing that statement on???

where are you getting the 3c/30c price from?

I wasnt basing it on anything in particular - it was just an example of how to work it out for the OP.

If you see my post, I asked the OP was he/she given a price per copy/print.
    tazzer wrote: »

Tazzer wrote: »
    They are extremely high costs...

FYI even if they are double sided, it is still counted as printing on an A4 page:

For example:

744 printed mono pages @ 3c = €22.32
    3348 printed mono pages @ 3c = €100.44
    96 colour pages @ 30c = €28.20

K/K on a digital print is only 2c per leaf. I know this for a fact. So 3c is enough to cover for their mark up - it's 150% mark-up - which isn't that bad.

150% mark up... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Heinrich wrote: »

I wouldn't want to risk it Heinrich. I have a small printer here at home and it's just more trouble than it's worth even to print out a handful of test pages. At the moment I'm trying to make sure I have no typos and that the format comes out OK. I did a test run of the whole thesis on the UCD printer on Friday and, while the Table of Contents looked fine on screen, when it was printed it was all arseways. But in the normal course of events yours would be a good idea.
    Is this the final thesis to be printed out and handed in? Or just to check it?

You could try Reids on Nassau Street, or any number of digital printers from the yellow pages.

The price will be determined by quantity, finishing and one or two other small things.

Best bet is get on the email to a few places and see what prices they come back with.

This is the final copy. I'm spending today looking over it for one final, infuriating, time. And as soon as that is done I will be able to print it tomorrow and bring it to The Thesis Centre after. For binding, Duffy's on Amiens Street is cheaper than The Thesis Centre but they are on their summer holidays at the moment.

ztoical wrote: »
    How quickly do you need it? If you've time you could try one of the print on demand places like lulu or comixpress, though you might have to print it as two books due to the page count.

Isn't there a shop in Dublin that just prints thesis? Drove past it once but can't remember where it is.

Found it - The Thesis Center - no clue if they'd be any cheaper then Reads

There's actually no rush on it - well, it has to be in before September. I checked with The Thesis Centre and they said they could bind it as a single rather than two-volume thesis so that was a relief. The Thesis Centre bound the soft versions of my pre-Viva thesis, which I printed in UCD. They were very professional so no problems with the actual binding - the Thesis Centre's printing prices are a different matter entirely (see below).

K/K on a digital print is only 2c per leaf. I know this for a fact. So 3c is enough to cover for their mark up - it's 150% mark-up - which isn't that bad.

I'd love to know where I can get that price!

Reads was 4.1 cent per 80gsm copy, but the 100GSM seems to be sold everywhere by ream and is more expensive than that (the pricing system is also a bit confusing this way but when I got a quote in Reads it worked out more expensive than UCD IIRC)

The Thesis Centre charged a ridiculous 10 cent to print each B&W page - and that is presumably for the standard 80gsm rather than the 100gsm which I need. Look under 'printing prices' on their website for this quite ridiculous price: http://www.thesiscentre.ie/

UCD was 4.5 cent per 80gsm copy. And I forget exactly its price for a ream (of 500 sheets?) of 100gsm.

Dostoevsky wrote: »

and 9 copies for friends (B), and the maps etc for them (C).
    QUOTE]

cut out the 9 copies to friends and send them an electronic pdf copy instead. that should cut the costs dramatically!

glasso wrote: »

and 9 copies for friends (B), and the maps etc for them (C).
    QUOTE]

cut out the 9 copies to friends and send them an electronic pdf copy instead. that should cut the costs dramatically!

I wish horse, I wish. The girls (especially the grown-up aunties) love this sh!t!

Personally, I'd rather not have any copies out there because it's so fecking massive that there are bound to be mistakes, which will be bounded, and that's going to annoy me. Years of pain, suffering and isolation and all people will remember are the mistakes! :mad:

I'd love to know where I can get that price!

Ah ah now - I wasn't saying 3c was the actual price they charge. I know that the price per leaf is 2c from digital printing machines. I was referring to the 3c price mentioned earlier and saying it's good business because it's 150% markup on that alone 2c x (150%) = 3c

If it's 4.1c then they're making 205 % markup on the printing alone. (4.1/2)*100 = 205%

Was just saying it's 2c a leaf for the printers, and some charge more than others per leaf.

Well - 2c is a price from what I know of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

as pointed out to you earlier, it's not 150% markup!

Is it not?

Well whatever it is. It costs them 2c and they charge 3c or 4.1c etc.

When i worked with a mate of mine doing digital printing like this that's what he called it.

What would you call it?

It cost him 2c a leaf to print k/k. and he charge 5c a leaf. Making a profit of 3c per leaf.

So he charged them 250% more than it cost him. And that was just on printing - not paper, or work time etc.

Of course you have to factor in other costs too and sales and etc.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Markup is the difference between the cost of a good or service and its selling price.[1] A markup is added on to the total cost incurred by the producer of a good or service in order to create a profit. The total cost reflects the total amount of both fixed and variable expenses to produce and distribute a product.[2] Markup can be expressed as a fixed amount or as a percentage of the total cost or selling price.[1] Different methods exist in determining the markup of a product.

Apologies if I have my business terminology wrong.

I thought I was right. But obviously I'm ruffling some feathers.

And if you're going to say I'm not right - then at least explain why. That's two posts saying I'm not right and not one explanation.

I'd prefer it to be explained to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Your calculations are wrong. Where you way its 150% markup, it's 50%

Markup is the percentage above the cost price, not the percentage including cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

glasso wrote: »

I wish horse, I wish. The girls (especially the grown-up aunties) love this sh!t!

Personally, I'd rather not have any copies out there because it's so fecking massive that there are bound to be mistakes, which will be bounded, and that's going to annoy me. Years of pain, suffering and isolation and all people will remember are the mistakes! :mad:

How many actual pages is the book? And does it have to be hardcover or does that matter? I've a friend whose started a printing company in Bristol for comic books but I'm sure she'd fit in a non comic if you ask nice. Her prices are good, alot cheaper then lulu or other POD's. There's also a place in Lester that only does short run hardcover books - friends got a 300 page hardcover printed from them at under 15 euro, really nice job, would have to check to find the name and contact details.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    Your calculations are wrong. Where you way its 150% markup, it's 50%

Markup is the percentage above the cost price, not the percentage including cost price.

Oh right. Sorry for getting it backwards.

That makes more sense now that you say that.

I was close. Sorta.

• Advertisement

A 3c charge for an A4 is unrealistic... the 2c click charge referred to is what we have to pay xerox, add on at least another cent for stock... then you've all of your other overheads to take into account before you see a profit...

it's the equivalent of complaining about a €10 taxi fare because they've only used a quids worth of diesel :)

Sorry - I just didn't explain myself right.

Yes it's the click charge. I need to go to business school before chiming in with pricing advice! Sigh.

More learned today though.

Advertisement